Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Zan Man

Olympic opening
      #1000191 - 27/07/12 08:41 PM
Ok techies..... anyone know what was being deployed for the opening ceremony?

--------------------
It's my most vivid memory - and you're telling me it never happened?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Airfix

Re: Olympic opening new [Re: Zan Man]
      #1000196 - 27/07/12 09:53 PM
theres a thread going on in the lounge

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1000212 - 28/07/12 12:23 AM
Quote Zan Man:

Ok techies..... anyone know what was being deployed for the opening ceremony?

17.243Km of gaffa tape

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Olympic opening new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1000225 - 28/07/12 01:07 AM
The same sound tech who doesn't like Paul McC. and was also on the Jubilee gig :-)

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1000248 - 28/07/12 08:08 AM
As Airfix said, there's a thread running in the Lounge on the Opening Ceremony so can we keep this thread here 'tight' please on the point raised by the O/P?

Thanks.

Mike
Forum Mod Team

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1000254 - 28/07/12 09:25 AM
No idea, but I wish I'd had the in-ear franchise! Everyone and their dog was wearing in-ears!

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Olympic opening new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1000259 - 28/07/12 09:42 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

No idea, but I wish I'd had the in-ear franchise! Everyone and their dog was wearing in-ears!

Hugh

... same thought crossed my mind...

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: Olympic opening new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1000278 - 28/07/12 12:04 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

The same sound tech who doesn't like Paul McC. and was also on the Jubilee gig :-)

Beyond comprehension in my house - the final act of the Olympic opening and they got Paul McCartney's sound wrong???

I wonder if he brings his own man with him that does a poor job over and over, or if he just has bad luck with the various "house engineers". The USA sports announcers who were narrating thought it was because he got all emotional and choked up at the beginning

Interesting how PM is losing control of his lower notes as he ages, but still does pretty well with his "head screams" if that's the right phrase.

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: Olympic opening new [Re: Airfix]
      #1000280 - 28/07/12 12:16 PM
Quote Airfix:

there's a thread going on in the lounge

Click HERE to go straight there.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Olympic opening new [Re: alexis]
      #1000285 - 28/07/12 12:25 PM
Quote alexis:

I wonder if he brings his own man with him...

I don't know for sure -- I'll try and find out -- but it is quite possible. It sounded to me like it was being mixed eother on small and unfamiliar speakers, or there was a lot of ambient PA noise in the mixing truck and they couldn't clearly here the kickdrum directly fromthe speakers so kept winding it up! It was certainly a very kick-drum heavy mix.

Odd, because the other live acts sounded very good. Adds credence to the different mixer theory.

Quote:

Interesting how PM is losing control of his lower notes as he ages, but still does pretty well with his "head screams" if that's the right phrase.

He's 70 years old this year, so he's doing pretty well all things considered. Probably better if he enjoyed his retirement a little more now though... before he completely destroys the reputation.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Tartaruga

#1000288 - 28/07/12 12:38 PM
So,it was not just ‘an impression’,something was really wrong at the beginning of his song…?
Same as everybody else about ‘in ear’ monitors...

Tartaruga

#1000290 - 28/07/12 12:42 PM
I saw a french ‘big act’ that went wrong,but it was on purpose,the play back slowed down for a minute and half(an eternity in a 'live act’),something like a record slowing down for very looooong…The ‘tech’ was fired,but he made his point,lol…!

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
Re: Olympic opening new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1000291 - 28/07/12 12:44 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Many moons ago, wasn't it Paul McCartney's vocal mic that didn't work on "Live Aid" when he did "Let it be"?
Conspiracy theory time!

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

Edited by Kwackman (28/07/12 12:45 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1000304 - 28/07/12 02:11 PM
What happened during the opening of the Paul Mccartney set? I wonder if he was supposed to sing over a backing track that went out of sync. If so, they appeared to ditch it. If so, he didn't do a bad job of keeping it together! I'm not sure if it was a problem with the sound coming from speakers on the other side of the stadium or what, but the delay was pretty long.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1000305 - 28/07/12 02:28 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

(Paul McCartney is)... 70 years old this year, so he's doing pretty well all things considered ...

hugh

Agree, 100%. To me he is the Voice of the Century (ignorant and dogmatic creature that I am). I was just musing how apparently different "parts" of one's vocal range seem to age at different rates - the screams were not too far removed from "I'm Down", but the notes below middle C were clearly more difficult for Sir Paul.

We love you Paul!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Exalted Wombat

#1000310 - 28/07/12 03:02 PM
Quote alexis:

the screams were not too far removed from "I'm Down", but the notes below middle C were clearly more difficult for Sir Paul.

I constantly have to remind singers who are looking for the "easy" key for a song that a higher note often just takes a bit of nerve in performance. But too low is always too low.

Dishpan

#1000311 - 28/07/12 03:15 PM
> the screams were not too far removed from "I'm Down", but the notes below middle C were clearly more difficult for Sir Paul.

Probably because the screams were mostly not him singing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjmYFXoJb0

julestech

Re: Olympic opening new [Re: ]
      #1000316 - 28/07/12 03:54 PM
Quote Josif A. Soterίou:

What happened during the opening of the Paul Mccartney set? I wonder if he was supposed to sing over a backing track that went out of sync. If so, they appeared to ditch it. If so, he didn't do a bad job of keeping it together! I'm not sure if it was a problem with the sound coming from speakers on the other side of the stadium or what, but the delay was pretty long.

It sounded to me like there were audience mics which were not patched through a broadcast delay but all the stage mics/DIs were. The ambient sound was definitely ahead of the stage sound by maybe 1500ms possibly more. I would assume there would be a delay on the broadcast feed in a similar way to a profanity delay? Its the only way I can think of that mics can be advanced so far ahead of the rest of the channels.

I'm sure it would have been an issue only on the broadcast feed anyway. It was hard for me to concentrate as I was hiding behind my hands feeling the engineer's panic, uggh!

AlecSp

#1001702 - 04/08/12 01:19 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

I was one of the very many volunteer performers. We were indeed all with IEMs, but pretty cheapo units, with the cheapest, nastiest earbuds (think sub-ipod).

PA in the stadium was bucketloads of L-Acoustics - V-DOSC over SB28s, all neatly de-branded with gaffa tape come show day.

And don't get me started on those lovely TAIT pixel panels on every seat back. Individually, and in daylight, they were so weak. But at night - wow!

As for Macca, I'd left by the time he was on, but I understand that there was none of that problem with delayed sound in the stadium.

calmposer a

Re: Olympic opening new [Re: julestech]
      #1001762 - 04/08/12 01:16 PM
Quote julestech:

It sounded to me like there were audience mics which were not patched through a broadcast delay but all the stage mics/DIs were.

I'm still trying to get my head round this.

I don't think this is the case, as McCartney heard the mistake and fixed it in real time (around the lyrics 'then you can start and make it better), and from that point all was fine.

It's as if his vocal was pre-recorded on the track - which makes me wonder - why would this be necessary if he could sing it all live perfectly well?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6969

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media