Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
lovesexy

Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase? new
      #999760 - 25/07/12 01:50 PM
Hi All

I have to edit 8 tracks of drums on 6 songs. Generally there are 4-6 takes. I'm using Cubase 5 and would like to know the easiest way to edit the tracks.
Obviously I'm using the 'lines fixed ' option for the kick, snare, hi hat, overheads etc but it will take forever to solo each take. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase? new [Re: lovesexy]
      #999772 - 25/07/12 02:35 PM
Quote lovesexy:

I have to edit 8 tracks of drums on 6 songs. Generally there are 4-6 takes. I'm using Cubase 5 and would like to know the easiest way to edit the tracks.
Obviously I'm using the 'lines fixed ' option for the kick, snare, hi hat, overheads etc but it will take forever to solo each take. Any ideas?

Well, unless the drummer was VERY accurate and consistent (in which case, why did you need 6 takes?) you'll be choosing between the various multi-mic recordings of each take, not picking snare from take 1, overheads from take 2...etc. I'd make a Folder Track for each take, each containing the 8 tracks of that take. I think Cubase 5 had Folder Tracks?

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase? new [Re: lovesexy]
      #999781 - 25/07/12 03:36 PM
And if you at all want to keep editing multi-mic kits simple I'd STRONGLY recommend considering an upgrade to C6.

Firstly, you'll get multi-track phase-aligned audio quantising.

Secondly, you can edit multi-track takes in 'lanes'.

Thirdly, the '=' button synchronises all editing within a folder track to each track it contains.

Essentially you can work with a multi-track group of drum mic's as if they were a single audio track. It's worth the price of admission alone.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1000140 - 27/07/12 03:26 PM
Quote The Elf:

And if you at all want to keep editing multi-mic kits simple I'd STRONGLY recommend considering an upgrade to C6.

Thirdly, the '=' button synchronises all editing within a folder track to each track it contains.

Essentially you can work with a multi-track group of drum mic's as if they were a single audio track. It's worth the price of admission alone.

+1

You can drag and drop takes onto different lanes in C5, but its a PITA and easy to make bad-sounding mistakes. C6.5 makes things much, much easier.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase? [Re: lovesexy]
      #1000240 - 28/07/12 04:37 AM
Cheapskate alarm here!

If you can get the job done inside a month you could download the demo of Cubase 6. You need a dongle but even if you had to buy another one, still a good deal!

A couple of years ago I had 50 sides of punk 45s to clean up and pulled the same stroke with Sony Soundforge. I reckon I have "paid them back" by my reccomending the software at every opportunity since on forums!

Dave.

C.LYDE

Loc: South Africa
Re: Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1000817 - 31/07/12 11:24 AM
Quote The Elf:

+2...

--------------------
C.LYDE
http://soundcloud.com/c-lyde

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3150

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media