Main Forums >> Musicians' Lounge
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
OneWorld

Is BBC iPlayer a victim of it's own success?
      #1001403 - 02/08/12 03:32 PM
Is it because of the olympics or what but just lately iPlayer takes an age to load up, something like half a minute, used to be up and running in seconds, almost instantaneously. I have checked my broadband speed - 30megs so no problem there

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
chris...

Re: Is BBC iPlayer a victim of it's own success? new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1001444 - 02/08/12 06:50 PM
Working fine for me. Can you give URL of a particular clip that's causing problems ?

Note that "loading up" involves starting Flash. Transferring of large amounts of data only happens once Flash is started.

So one possibility is you might have a Flash problem. Try another browser and another computer if poss.

Happily, Flash is on the way out.

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
      #1001446 - 02/08/12 06:57 PM
Quote OneWorld:

Is it because of the olympics or what but just lately iPlayer takes an age to load up, something like half a minute, used to be up and running in seconds, almost instantaneously. I have checked my broadband speed - 30megs so no problem there

I have found it slower to load. A tad inconvenient as it and 4oD are probably my main means of viewing TV these days outside of the rolling news.

Reg

--------------------
Google less; read more!

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
      #1001449 - 02/08/12 07:06 PM
Haven't noticed a speed problem with iPlayer myself. But if there is and its because of the Olympics I will say the BBC's multi channel coverage on HD television is utterly brilliant. Hugh was explaining in another thread earlier that it was a collaborative effort but we've never seen the like of it before. There's a lot of interest in the games and it must be creating overloads all over the place with the internet infrastructure. You might well be right. A victim of its own success.

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #1001451 - 02/08/12 07:31 PM
You can find most of the stuff on satellite channels set up specifically for the olympics. I have had to because Iplayer keeps throwing up an error code and not loading....bah! Dave

--------------------
My head hurts!

OneWorld

Re: Is BBC iPlayer a victim of it's own success? new [Re: chris...]
      #1001609 - 03/08/12 12:36 PM
Quote chris...:

Working fine for me. Can you give URL of a particular clip that's causing problems ?

Note that "loading up" involves starting Flash. Transferring of large amounts of data only happens once Flash is started.

So one possibility is you might have a Flash problem. Try another browser and another computer if poss.

Happily, Flash is on the way out.

It's any page I go to, as I click onto bbc.co.uk/iplayer the PC starts to drag its anchor, it never used to. I did a speed check 39meg, I use BT Infinity

I am on a different computer at the moment, though still on the same network, and on this PC it seems fine. So it must be the computer.

As an aside, I have stopped payning my license fee several months ago, and got a visit from the license fee man. He reminded me that of course I cannot watch anything as it is being streamed, I must wait till the programme has ended, which I know anyway. We then went on to have a long chat about, considering the woeful content and endless repeats, how he agrees with me, and he went on to trash a lot of TV output! After a day's graft I don't want to come home, get my cuppa dn settle down in my lounging room and listen to some lickspittle effin' and jeffin' his way through a programme, so I wrote to the BBC and told them, of course I got nothing but the standard template reply, why should the BBC bother to communicate with one of the great unwashed.

During a feedback programme where one of these 'actors/comedians' was dealing with complaints where he trotted out the usual platitudes and then said "There is always the 'off' button' and I thought wow, that's a good idea, so off it went. And since then I have relied on iPlayer, 4OD etc, and watch what I want at my convenience. It was my next door neighbour who put me onto this gig and he said a lot of people where he works are now doing the same. For what little watch anyway, iPlayer is more than adequate.

Is Flash really vanishing that fast, as there seems to be so many websites that depend on it. What about Microsoft Silverlight? I still see it mentioned when I go to the Microsfot website to get my updates/downloads

Wasn't Flash a universal, would work on Mac/Windows/Linux? Though wouldn't as far as I know run on iPad, how about Android?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1001666 - 03/08/12 05:57 PM
They need to sort out the FF and RW feature, especially for set-top boxes. If they can't sort it, they should at least allow us to type in a value for the position in mins/secs.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1778

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media