Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Iain Boyd

Loc: United Kingdom
Yes, sometimes it is the cable...
      #1001562 - 03/08/12 09:52 AM
Just a little sharing. I had an problem with audio dropout using a newish iMac and a Presonus 16.0.2 desk connected by firewire. I spent hours looking for network saturation problems, disk write overloads, critical memory shortages, dearth of hard disk capacity, and also swapped the firewire (800 to 400) cable to try and find the problem. Checked the software on the desk, hunted around forums, searched for firmware updates etc. etc., the way you do.

None of those things worked so I started from scratch again. Turns out it WAS the first Firewire 800/400 cable. Also the second one (a fancy one, with gold connections!) But, as in Goldilocks, the third and last one I dug out worked perfectly and all the problems went away.

Problem solving advice often includes 'check/swap cables', usually USB which I've never had a problem with. But here was a rare example of two out of three Firewire cables being no good.

The only problem is the working one is a bit on the short side. Anyone have a recommendation for a reliable brand of Firewire cables?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Yes, sometimes it is the cable... new [Re: Iain Boyd]
      #1001563 - 03/08/12 10:04 AM
I think the clue here is that that the cable that worked is the shorter one!

It might be possible to find a longer very low-loss FW cable, but it sounds to me like one or other of those devices isn't too clever at recovering data via longer cables.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

chris...

#1001572 - 03/08/12 10:41 AM
Get Firewire cables from Lindy.

Iain Boyd

Re: Yes, sometimes it is the cable... new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1001587 - 03/08/12 11:37 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

It might be possible to find a longer very low-loss FW cable, but it sounds to me like one or other of those devices isn't too clever at recovering data via longer cables.

Yes, that may well be right, the 'good' one is only 1metre long. Though the 'bad' ones were only 1.5m and 2.0m, so we're not talking about 8m or 10m monsters. But it would be surprising if either Apple or Presonus were offering a substandard Firewire port. Wouldn't it?

Meanwhile, the Applestore offers one - a snip at £24.95, so I'm going to try the most highly recommended one from Amazon, made by Neet, for a mere £7.95.

Edited by Iain Boyd (03/08/12 11:37 AM)

Tartaruga

#1001600 - 03/08/12 12:10 PM
Well,it depends,there is a difference between ‘regular' Mac Books and MacBook Pro connection ports for example….

Iain Boyd

Re: Yes, sometimes it is the cable... new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1002902 - 11/08/12 01:41 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

I think the clue here is that that the cable that worked is the shorter one!

Spoke too soon, the problem hasn't gone away and it turns out that many people have had similar audio drop-out problems with the 16.0.2 and 16.4.2 mixers. There are several threads on the Presonus forums, but no single easy solution, it seems.

Woolfy

Loc: Glasgow
      #1003251 - 13/08/12 11:31 AM
Spooky as had very similar issue with the new(ish) iMac and Focusrite Saffire. Wouldn't see the device at all with 2 different 800-400 cables I had bought, even got that one from the Apple store for £25. Bought a cheap 1 mtr cable (£5) from the local dodgy computer shop and, as if by magic, it worked with no issues at all!
Seen similar issues with some Tascams requiring to have the machine running in 32bit mode, though mainly to do with the lack of software updates they provide.

--------------------
www.9volts.co.uk

Iain Boyd

Re: Yes, sometimes it is the cable... new [Re: Woolfy]
      #1011014 - 01/10/12 06:29 PM
Well. In the end it went back to HHB, the UK agent for Presonus. And they fixed it within a few days and redelivered it.

They haven't told me what they did, but it is the same mixer, according to the serial number, so they didn't have to replace the whole thing. I feel certain it must have been something to do with the firewire chip/circuit/board.

Not the cable!

electrotimba

#1011041 - 01/10/12 08:45 PM
Quote Iain Boyd:

Well. In the end it went back to HHB, the UK agent for Presonus. And they fixed it within a few days and redelivered it.

They haven't told me what they did, but it is the same mixer, according to the serial number, so they didn't have to replace the whole thing. I feel certain it must have been something to do with the firewire chip/circuit/board.

Not the cable!

So it works OK now. They did fix it? I sent my Presonus Mobile after discovering that for months I was searching for source of firewire interruptions at wrong places (even blaming wiring in my house, had 3 different electricians examining wiring, all saying that wiring is OK). Even after having the issue recently @ a gig, started to think, it might be something with my MBP.
After reading some entries @ Presonus forum realised I am not the only one with such problems. While waiting (45 minutes) to get to Presonus US, tested setup, in all possible ways without Presonus and no issues at all. Support advised me to sent the unit to local distributor while they will do they own search about the case and advise the local service what should be done.
Talked to the service last week and they are testing but couldn't really nail the source. Waiting that Presonus US might tell them what to replace, they have the parts, several boards that could be used but it is up to Americans to tell them which one might fix the problem.

Edited by electrotimba (01/10/12 08:47 PM)

Iain Boyd

Re: Yes, sometimes it is the cable... new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1012679 - 09/10/12 11:13 PM
Quote electrotimba:

So it works OK now. They did fix it?

Yes. It's been three weeks now, and absolutely no problems. As suspected, it's a great device when working properly.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4241

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media