Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mark6432

Small room - semi-temporary acoustic treatment
      #1014576 - 20/10/12 10:23 AM
I regularly read and have checked old forums but with seeking advice specific to window placement and future migration I hope I'm ok to post...

I write and produce primarily library music for professional libraries and have reached a point where my mixing needs to move up a gear...ie invest in acoustic treatment. I'm currently in a small room (almost cube!) 8x6ft and have recently moved things so the monitors are shooting down the width of the room. I understand this is somewhat of a cardinal sin (and spent the last year facing the 'correct' way) but logistically it's a lot easier to fit in keyboards and clients etc. this way. I'm also planning on converting my garage next summer so would be looking to purchase treatments that can be refitted after the move. The Auralex chart suggested the Project 2pack for 50% (advised for production rooms) coverage of a room my size. The other consideration is that the window is currently to my left so mirror reflections could be difficult to treat. So to clarify:

1) Should I move back to shooting down the long sides of the room? This would put the window behind the desk, is treatment behind the desk less important than to the sides?

2) What treatment (companies/packs) should I be looking at - I'd rather not spend as much as £400 (Project 2 pack) if I can't refit is at a later date. Also, could I realistically get away with less coverage?

3) I do already have 2 DIY broadband absorbers (poster size) which I can use if necessary. Although one has warped slightly so doesn't lie flush to the wall....any ideas??

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Edited by Mark6432 (20/10/12 10:28 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
Re: Small room - semi-temporary acoustic treatment new [Re: Mark6432]
      #1014592 - 20/10/12 12:00 PM
Nothing sensible to add, but I couldn't resist...

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Wimek

Loc: Holland
      #1014690 - 21/10/12 08:23 AM
Hey Andy, you've got interesting ideas about studios: acoustic ball isolation

Playing (acoustic) guitar is risky but certainly possible in that room. However, playing a drum kit ...

Wim

sheggs

Loc: Bradford, UK
      #1014738 - 21/10/12 02:19 PM
Hi Mark,

Firstly we would always recommend shooting down the room. We made this video to explain why -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4AfCFlZ-M

With regards to treatment. Panels to the sides of the monitors are for first reflection points. Video on what that does here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9u7k2V4YPw

Panels behind your speakers is to deal with Speaker Boundary Interference Response. We have an article which may help with that -
http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk/index.asp?function=WEBPAGE&page=18
The basic advice I can give on a cube like room though is bass trapping, the more bass traps in your boundary areas the better

--------------------
David Shevyn General Manager GIK Acoustics Europe
www.gikacoustics.co.uk

Wimek

Loc: Holland
      #1014822 - 22/10/12 09:26 AM
OK, now serious

Firt of all: I'm not an expert on room treatment. However, since you're planning to your garage next summer, I would not spend much money on room treatment in your current room, but do a good job in the garage next year.

What I would do at this moment is the following:
try different settings of the lowpass filter on your monitor speakers
try to experiment hanging the DIY absorbers in different positions
glue the DIY absorbers on thin wooden panels (tri-plex), so they don't warp and you can easily hang them in different positions
Stop changing when you reach an acceptable acoustic situation (your mixes translate well to different audio systems)

hope this helps a bit ...

GIK Acoustics

Loc: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
Re: Small room - semi-temporary acoustic treatment new [Re: Wimek]
      #1014928 - 23/10/12 08:02 AM
Quote Wimek:

Firt of all: I'm not an expert on room treatment. However, since you're planning to your garage next summer, I would not spend much money on room treatment in your current room, but do a good job in the garage next year.

Though I agree with your point, as long as you build or buy some sturdy panels that perform well, they can be moved to any space. I certainly wouldn't skip on such an important part of the monitoring chain as acoustic treatment just because you are moving...you still need workable results before you move!

--------------------
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

Mark6432

#1015137 - 24/10/12 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice thus far. So, the plan is to switch back to firing monitors down the length of the room. Because of the size of room (see specs above) flutter echos and bass are especially problematic...it's surprising hearing the room again now it's been emptied for decorating!!!

I've made my own broadband absorbers so will use these in addition to commercial products, I was thinking of these.

Foam bass traps - http://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/products/AFBT02-Acoustic-Foam-Bass-Trap-Box -of-2-Bass-Traps.html
I know there are better products on the market but having read that it's difficult to do anything with bass problems in small (near cuboid) rooms I don't want to spend a fortune.

Would these improve the bass at all?

I'll also use a bunch of tiles for the hi freq's.

Finally, where should I place my DIY broadband absorbers - should I use them as mirror points or should I get them on the desk end walls )my left and right) close to the front wall corners where more bass might be building up.

Any advice appreciated!

--------------------
www.markwhitemusic.co.uk

GIK Acoustics

Loc: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
      #1015355 - 25/10/12 08:37 AM
Mark,

From our own tests we've done I've gathered that most foam bass traps do not essentially trap low frequencies. Here's our test we did on our GIK 244 panels vs. foam bass traps: http://www.gikacoustics.com/news_020912.html

Rooms are certainly workable with the low end, I do not think you should just give up trying to treat it since it is difficult!

When you have enough bass traps in the room to tame the bass, your high frequencies usually end up being good as well. I would suggest saving the money from the foam and high frequency reflection panels and put all the money towards bass traps. Whether you're building your own or DIYing you will end up with much better acoustic control in the room, giving you a much greater chance at being able to produce translateable mixes. And not all bass traps are that expensive!

I would recommend using the ones you have currently either in corners or your first reflection points, though two won't make a huge difference in the overall bass control of a room.

--------------------
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

Mark6432

Re: Small room - semi-temporary acoustic treatment new [Re: GIK Acoustics]
      #1015532 - 25/10/12 10:03 PM
Thanks for the great advice Alexander. Ive gone ahead and made a pair of bass traps today. It went pretty well so might make another pair tomorrow...I'm addicted!

I'll post some pics soon.

--------------------
www.markwhitemusic.co.uk

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4429

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media