Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
agwonu

Cheap pc loudspeakers with minimum bass? new
      #1014497 - 19/10/12 03:06 PM
Hello,

I just bought these speakers and I'm not happy with them because they have no bass control. Contrary to popular taste, I'd like speakers that have the tinniest sound, speakers with a controller that allows you to choose both a lot of bass and no bass or minimum bass, and these speakers don't have them.

Speakers for pc, cheap as possible, with bass and treble control, and sold on amazon uk or amazon germany? Do you have any recommendations, thanks?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chaparazzi

Re: Cheap pc loudspeakers with minimum bass? new [Re: agwonu]
      #1014499 - 19/10/12 03:28 PM
Hey Agwonu,

My secret weapons are the Creative T20's. I have two pairs of these in different rooms. For some reason my brain understands what's coming out of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001IZZ2PE/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=955094742 9&ref=asc_df_B001IZZ2PE

O.k they're not the cheapest, but they're well worth the money when it comes to listening to your mixes.

--------------------
Amazing take, spot on, just perfect....right....one more time.

agwonu

Re: Cheap pc loudspeakers with minimum bass? new [Re: Chaparazzi]
      #1014500 - 19/10/12 03:42 PM
Thanks, but I had a fear this would happen, as this forum is about the best kind of speakers

But I really am looking for cheapy, in the 6 to 10 pound area. I'm also looking for least amount of bass possible, which is kind of the opposite of what people usually want, only with more volume than laptops. I'll email customer support but think they'll take ages to look through their catalogue.

I have these small cheapy loudspeakers at home, and they're broken, but they have treble and bass levers which seem to have all but disappeared from the amazon catalogues I'm looking at. I zoom into the pictures and can't seem to find any loudspeakers with them, as if all manufacturers seem to have decided to forget them and go for things like usb power.

Goddard

#1014558 - 20/10/12 01:43 AM
Does your PC have built-in tone controls in its onboard soundchip's audio mixer utility or driver settings?

Exalted Wombat

#1014593 - 20/10/12 12:04 PM
What are you playing? Does the player, or your computer audio system, have tone controls?

agwonu

#1014647 - 20/10/12 06:26 PM
Thanks again for your input.

Well, the PC is a Windows 7 Home Premium, and the Sound Driver is a Realtek 6 something or other. I've come to the conclusion that it would be too much of a risk going about changing the drivers because I could ruin the config and because it probably wouldn't do anything at all as this looks like the driver the motherboard decided should be appropriate.

I think it's the fact it's a bought Win7 Home that's made all the enhancements not available. Had I gotten a pirated Ultimate version, the story would have been different...

There is an option in Windows Player that reduces the bass somewhat but not enough.

After refining my search on amazon from loud speakers to speakers, I'm finding interesting brands like Altec Lansing that don't have as many people complaining as Logitech and HP. My current broken speakers have both treble and bass controls, so I'm hoping these controls are still sold cheap on the market and the speakers with merely 'tone' control haven't taken over because I suspect they won't be as good, good for what I want them that is, no bass and a treble that doesn't go insane.

Edited by agwonu (20/10/12 06:28 PM)

Goddard

Re: Cheap pc loudspeakers with minimum bass? [Re: agwonu]
      #1014653 - 20/10/12 07:53 PM
agwonu, with the Realtek Windows high def audio driver file package installation there should be included a utility program named "Realtek Audio Manager" (or maybe it's still called "Soundman" or "Sound Manager"?) which iirc offers dsp fx including an equalizer which should work for doing exactly what you want. You can likely get the most current Realtek HD audio driver installation file package for your onboard sound from your PC or motherboard maker's support site, or from Realtek's download site.

If that doesn't help, then you might check whether your player prog has an eq feature or add-on available.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3084

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media