The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MikeLang

Music Composition and Sound Design for a Spec TV Trailer
      #1015474 - 25/10/12 05:04 PM
I'm working on a payment deferred basis to compose some music and do some sound design for a 7-8 minute trailer for a new TV show that will be pitched to networks. This is the first time I've done something like this and the first time I've worked with this particular person. We have agreed that I will be credited as "Original Music By" and I would receive a copy of the final scenes for my reel.

My question is, how should I go about setting up an agreement on the payment as I am only getting paid if the show makes some money. I'm fine with this as I'm just starting out - but should I set an exact price? Do I set up when and under what circumstances I'd get paid, and get this in writing and signed by both parties?

Also, if everything went really well and the show got picked up and turned into a pilot or a series - should I also get an agreement that I'd be taken on as the music composer for the series?

I want to get all of this agreed upon and settled - without being too pushy or overbearing with contracts, etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
Re: Music Composition and Sound Design for a Spec TV Trailer new [Re: MikeLang]
      #1016844 - 02/11/12 05:48 PM
I presume the camera people, actors, writers and editors are also not getting a bean for doing this, and are on a promise also...

There is no way you can be on contract to be involved in a show or record having just completed a demo, let a lone a pilot episode. There will be decisions taken higher up with regards to all aspects of any show, including the actors, writers etc etc...no one goes looking for funding saying these people must also be on the payroll.

Once a show is given the go ahead, and the money is down for a series thats a different matter of course - but you might find yourself only down for the first run anyhow.

--------------------

MikeLang

Re: Music Composition and Sound Design for a Spec TV Trailer new [Re: MikeLang]
      #1017756 - 08/11/12 05:28 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the input. I've completed the music at this point and the editing process is under way so I'll see where it goes.

-Mike

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1929

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media