Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Cubed

Simple way to put keyboard and mouse on synth?
      #1015632 - 26/10/12 01:38 PM
Basically my studio furniture desk isn't deep enough to have my PC keyboard & mouse + synthesizer + PC screen on the same surface. I must have my synth in front of my screen as it is the most comfortable way of working, but I am left with nowhere to put my PC keyboard and mouse.

I want to somehow put my PC keyboard and mouse on top of my synth. Is there any kind of 'stand' or pads available that will let me rest my keyboard and mouse on top of the synth's knobs and buttons.

I know this is a wierd request but the only other option is to buy a thinner synth! lol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Moroccomoose

Loc: Northampton
Re: Simple way to put keyboard and mouse on synth? new [Re: Cubed]
      #1015637 - 26/10/12 01:57 PM
What about this:

web page

Save you from breaking your keboard knobs

Moose

Cubed

Re: Simple way to put keyboard and mouse on synth? new [Re: Moroccomoose]
      #1015658 - 26/10/12 03:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - I have thought about this but there is simply no space to have a pull-out drawer like that. It will mean that I have to sit further back from the desk which I can't due to the narrow room size. This is the reason I cannot have a deeper desk either.

I was thinking about getting a thinner synth. Mine is about 40cm deep.

Maybe I'll stick some bubble wrap on top of the synth buttons/knobs and make a flat surface out of that.

Switters

Loc: Greece
      #1015660 - 26/10/12 03:32 PM
My old Novation Remote 61 have plenty of space to put keyboard or a mouse. Also you can find it second hand in a bargain!

--------------------
People want to go to heaven without die...

OneWorld

#1015661 - 26/10/12 03:41 PM
This is where I am hoping touch-screen will come into its own? I can envisage a quite large monitor, lay flat or at an angle, with all the mixer controls and qwerty keyboard layout, and maybe another monitor set at the usual angle with the DAW software

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
      #1015665 - 26/10/12 04:06 PM
I use one of These

Works quite nice placing my laptop over the top of my Novation X-Station but would work just as well with a keyboard and mouse

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

nathanscribe

Loc: Yorkshire, by 'eck.
      #1015681 - 26/10/12 05:33 PM
Also, if you find a solution that is limited for mouse-space, I recommend trying a trackball instead. Might take a little getting used to at first, but I find them much better than roving mice by a long shot.

--------------------
my nerdy synth tech blog

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1015685 - 26/10/12 05:49 PM
I have two desks for this. The higher one has the keyboard, synths, mixer etc on it and below that I have a lower desk with the keyboard and mouse.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
      #1016061 - 29/10/12 01:53 PM
Surely a bit of plywood and some lengths of 2x2 and an hour with a saw and some screws would see a quite serviceable desk riser for the midi keyboard leaving space for the comp keyboard and mouse below.

A couple of hours and you could finish the edges nicely with beading, and a day would see it varnished and everything.

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

Dynamic Mike

Re: Simple way to put keyboard and mouse on synth? new [Re: MarkOne]
      #1016302 - 30/10/12 05:49 PM
Quote MarkOne:

Surely a bit of plywood and some lengths of 2x2 and an hour with a saw and some screws would see a quite serviceable desk riser for the midi keyboard leaving space for the comp keyboard and mouse below.

A couple of hours and you could finish the edges nicely with beading, and a day would see it varnished and everything.

When I was pushed for desk space I used 2 shortened chrome sleeve ironing boards & replaced the tops with some MDF the appox size of the keyboard. 5 minute fix with a hacksaw for under £20. Looked pretty cool too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Minky-Sleeve-Board-Ironing-Board-Collars-Cuf fs-/160373687221?pt=UK_Ironing_Boards_Covers&hash=item25570443b5

They make good cheap risers for nearfield monitors too

DM

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

Cubed

#1016781 - 02/11/12 01:01 PM
Very cool suggestions. I have managed to find a solution... instead of moving the PC keyboard and mouse why not instead move the monitor over and above the synth using this!

Edited by Cubed (02/11/12 01:02 PM)

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1016817 - 02/11/12 04:04 PM
Ah. I've got one like that, and it's a godsend - not for raising the screen over a synth (although it does that as well), but to move my monitor between close position for detailed sound/waveform editing and word processing, and back between my monitor speakers when I need the best stereo image

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3577

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media