Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
clube

Loc: UK
Should Bass traps be symmetrical
      #1016388 - 31/10/12 10:03 AM
My control room has one straight side wall where I plan to build corner bass traps left front and left back. But the other side wall has a couple of right angles along it as it narrows towards a door opening which adjoins the back wall at back right position stopping the use of a corner bass trap there. But I could build the bass trap into the second of the side wall right-angles just before the door section – asymmetrically with its left back counterpart.
At right front I have a large sunken space for a substantial bass trap which would be much deeper and more effective at its job than the one at left front; but like the back of the room, the front would also be asymmetrical in bass trap design.

Does this matter do you think?

--------------------
Music is the gift of God

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
GIK Acoustics

Loc: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
Re: Should Bass traps be symmetrical new [Re: clube]
      #1016490 - 31/10/12 08:34 PM
For the rear of the room, we haven't seen asymmetrical bass traps destroy stereo image by any means. If you can only get one large one and one small one in the back corners, then so be it. However, different traps in the front corners can give much different frequency response in the low end from left to right at your mix position, which would not be good. Can you post a diagram of the room? Perhaps there is a better way to situate yourself for low end symmetry.

--------------------
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

clube

Loc: UK
Re: Should Bass traps be symmetrical new [Re: GIK Acoustics]
      #1017209 - 05/11/12 06:34 PM
Thanks Alexander - The design is shown at this web page link I made for you after failing to find out how to add attachments to SOS posts.

--------------------
Music is the gift of God

GIK Acoustics

Loc: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
Re: Should Bass traps be symmetrical new [Re: clube]
      #1017275 - 06/11/12 05:39 AM
Hmm..it is a bit tricky in that room isn't it?!

I would likely suggest facing the window to get the most symmetry out of your position, and your plan would be good from there.

Don't forget that wall-to-ceiling corners are also very effective for trapping. The layout you provided will definitely help, but even then - you will likely need more trapping in the room. (Sidewalls, ceiling, back wall, etc)

--------------------
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2884

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media