Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
dubbmann

Loc: 3rd stone from the sun.
Does ANYONE Like Ubuntu's Unity Desktop?
      #1016491 - 31/10/12 08:38 PM
Hi all,

This is more of a rant than a question (though I'd still like to hear from anyone who thinks Unity is not a piece of s*&t). I am continuously stunned (after 30 years of being in the computer industry) how developers can take something that works and f&^k it up. The look and feel of Gnome on my old laptop is a 1000x superior to unity. I am so frustrated that I'm on the verge of ripping Ubuntu 12.x off my new laptop and either installing backlevel Ubuntu or simply running Win7. I'm sure there is some agenda behind the development of Unity (probably involving an agenda with $$$$) but what a bollock'd up mess.

Rant over. Carry on.

d

--------------------
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/
http://www.phichibe.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: Does ANYONE Like Ubuntu's Unity Desktop? new [Re: dubbmann]
      #1016517 - 01/11/12 09:07 AM
Couldn't get it to run as I use Linux inside VMs on either vmware or (preferably) Virtual Box and neither seem to have a good enough video driver for Unity. Couldn't get the new think from Fedora 13 to run either. I'm fairly sure you can disable Unity and revert to Gnome though.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Ruaridh

Loc: Central Scotland
      #1016525 - 01/11/12 09:52 AM
It runs fine on my machine ... I just don't like it.

It's maybe my age, but I don't 'get it' I went back back to Gnome after about a day. [Currently running 12.04]

R.

--------------------
Ruaridh (Pronounced "Rory").
Cubase 5.5 Guitars & Beer.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1016725 - 02/11/12 12:34 AM
Tried it on a netbook. Couldn't get on with it at all so installed debian with Openbox as the window manager.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

seablade

#1016802 - 02/11/12 03:19 PM
Personally, as it stands currently, I don't mind it. I think they have a lot of ideas that are very good, but aren't implemented in the best way. I also think it has gotten progressively better with each release.

But I also don't use it, I run e17 myself. I prefer it, but I don't necessarily mind Unity either.

Seablade

pag123123

#1024341 - 14/12/12 08:45 PM
I'm 61, and my laptop's not that much younger :-)

I was on the point of ditching my laptop which was 'running' WinXP but getting increasingly slow (anti-virus using loads of RAM so lots of swapping)

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Unity - it does have its snags, but I'm getting on OK with it. The laptop certainly has a new lease of life (with only 1GB RAM and 1.8GHz Pentium Mobile).

So yes, Unity is OK-ish (albeit with some drawbacks), but that opinion is from someone used to WinXP!

4TrackMadman

#1024368 - 15/12/12 06:57 AM
I installed on an older machine that was running Win2k and it brought it to its knees. Not sure how I did it but there was an option to add at boot time other GUIs and I put in Gnome and some of the other lighter ones, running fine w/ IceWM.

Most people I know hate it but for one guy who thought it was the best new thing, actually upgraded his OS in order to get it.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

gridsleep

Loc: Hudson Valley
      #1024372 - 15/12/12 07:31 AM
I use Ubuntu Studio in VirtualBox and have had no complaint. It works well enough. How close it is to Unity, I don't know. I haven't used straight Ubuntu in a long time. My tower runs XP x64 in a 4 core Phenom II with dual Radeon HD 4850, and my laptop runs 7 x64 in a Core i7, each with 8GB RAM, so I guess I am not liable to face any hardware deficiencies.

--------------------
Future creator of the Singing Brain.

Edited by gridsleep (15/12/12 07:36 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3590

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media