Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jozee

lagging problems in simple recording
      #1017460 - 07/11/12 06:20 AM
Hi,
I just wanted a simple laptop to record stereo sound in 16 bit 48000Hz so i bought this netbook:
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_X101CH/
I know thats not much but i only need stereo recording.
this netbook comes with windows 7 starter.
The big problem which i cannot solve for a few days now is that i get recording lags.
When i say "lags" i mean a random short mutes from time to time, it can happen once in two minutes or 3 times in 30 seconds, its random.
i can even hear it in software monitoring without start recording.

i tried to use 3 different usb soundcards, i tried to use to different recording software (cubase LE and Audacity)
I disabled everything i can in this netbook including things in the bios.

does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: lagging problems in simple recording new [Re: jozee]
      #1017485 - 07/11/12 09:48 AM
Grab DPC latency checker and show us some results : http://www.thesycon.com/deu/latency_check.shtml

I'm going to guess your picking up some nice red spikes in there when the drop outs happen, if so try disabling you lan/wifi and see if it improves.

The problem tends to be to save cash they tend to use combo controller chips for all the I/O and these don't tend to play nicely where real time audio recording is required. All you can do really is run the test see if it spikes and then start killing devices & services to see if each one being turned off helps or not.

Can I ask why you went for this as a solution rather than a decent two channel field recorder?

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Stuarto

#1017486 - 07/11/12 09:50 AM
A few things you can try:

1) In Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Performance > Advanced - make sure "adjust best performance" is set to "background services".

This should give any ASIO drivers a bit more clout.

2) My friend had a similar problem that went away when he updated his graphics card drivers.

3) Experiment with different ASIO buffer sizes - usually bigger is more reliable if you can live with the associated latency.

--------------------
When I have nothing to say my lips are sealed.

Stuarto

Re: lagging problems in simple recording new [Re: Stuarto]
      #1017488 - 07/11/12 09:54 AM
Another thing to try:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options - select the "high performance" setting.

--------------------
When I have nothing to say my lips are sealed.

Shivanand

Loc: Ashgabat
Re: lagging problems in simple recording new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1017730 - 08/11/12 02:13 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Can I ask why you went for this as a solution rather than a decent two channel field recorder?

I was wondering too.

--------------------
"Qui habet aures audiendi audiat"

4TrackMadman

#1020118 - 24/11/12 09:29 PM
Do you have anything else attached via the USB ports? I'd say yank everything out. Maybe try different driver types, WDM instead of ASIO just to see if it will do anything.
I had a similar problem on my old Mac with an Edirol USB card, no matter what I did it just wouldn't record properly and in my case it was a weird issue of GPU settings, background services and a slow hard drive (5200 rpm) and probably something to do with the USB port speed rate. On the other hand a firewire card worked fine so it might have had something to do with the quality of the drivers. Another thing to try would be ASIO4ALL drivers for your audio card and see if that might fix something. Go highest latency possible, lowest audio resolution you can live with (in my case 16/44.1) and kill as many background services in Windows as you can.
Sometimes lowering your graphics card settings could also help as these GPUs suck down from the ram and motherboard resources to run graphics as well.

Are you deadset on using Windows 7? It might be worthwhile to go down to XP or even Linux in your case as they can render better results. If your audio card has standard USB drivers (my Edirol does) it will be recognized under Linux.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Loc: The King's Height
Re: lagging problems in simple recording new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1021066 - 27/11/12 01:50 PM
I thinks it's sad when someone can't record a simple stereo track out the box on a PC. My ageing AW4416 was invented to do one job, but it's quite an old unit these days. When I'm now giving some consideration to getting a PC or Mac for recording, hearing stories like these gives me second thoughts.
The processing power in a modern PC is huge compared to years ago, so what's the issue?
And a 5,400rpm HDD isn't going to be causing it as it's transfer rate is way more than enough.
Windows perhaps?....that useless, cumbersome piece of nonsense......???

--------------------
Jack of all trades, master of some.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4214

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media