Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Fruitfly

Digital Audio Restoration
      #1018407 - 13/11/12 02:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know if there's any techniques or books on audio restoration:

Removing noises, crackle and clicks with Sonnox Restore.

I've been trying to search techniques and books with the sonnox restore or any other digital restoring plug ins.

I'm all out of luck,

anyone?

Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Digital Audio Restoration new [Re: Fruitfly]
      #1018412 - 13/11/12 02:43 PM
The first place to look would be the documentation that came with the software. Adobe Audition comes with some reasonable help files for their restoration processing.

However, the secret to good audio restoration is to get the best transfer from analogue that you can. What are you restoring?

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Fruitfly

Re: Digital Audio Restoration new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1018425 - 13/11/12 04:02 PM
Thanks James. I have already read the documents that come with it. I'm finding for techniques.

I'm restoring an analog audio piece by removing it's clicks, buzzes and noise from the Plugin Sonnox Restore.

Best transfer from analog? you mean AD conversion?

I already have the converted piece actually. I'm just removing the clicks, buzzes and noise.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1018432 - 13/11/12 04:32 PM
There's some general overview, hints and tips in Bob Katz' Mastering Audio book (chapter 12), but like James I'd say the more detailed and useful stuff usually comes with the software. I've not used the Sonnox stuff, But Adobe Audition and Izotope RX Advanced both have very helpful educational stuff in their manuals.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Fruitfly

#1018488 - 14/11/12 07:49 AM
I'll check out both audition and the RX.

and the mastering book helped. Thank a bunch

Dave Blackman

#1018546 - 14/11/12 12:34 PM
There are a few tutorials on the Cedar website that you might be able to adapt to what you're using - http://www.cedar-audio.com

Dave

--------------------
www.hiltongrovemastering.com

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1018549 - 14/11/12 12:50 PM
Quote Fruitfly:

Best transfer from analog? you mean AD conversion?

No, before that you need to do things like use the right stylus for the job and check the tracking weight and geometry if you are transferring from vinyl, or check the azimuth and eq if you are transferring from tape.

If you've got those things right, the restoration software won't need to work so hard - in fact, in some cases you may not need it at all.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Jeraldo

#1018584 - 14/11/12 03:09 PM
I use Rx2, and with that, and I suspect the other "restoration" packages, the key thing is practice and experience. I get much better with Rx2 every time I use it. For example, I just discovered (the now very obvious reason!) why one would choose 4000 bands when working with lower frequencies and as few as a several hundred for high frequencies in Spectral Repair. This sort of thing is not found in any support material, only comments such as "more bands do not necessarily produce a better result."

So, I would advise getting something and getting lots of practice with lots of different kinds of material and problems.

On another note, the latest version of Rx 2 (a couple or several months ago) seemed to have performance improvements that weren't documented. I'm finding broadband noise removal improved substantially, with the ability to make large reductions without any artifacts. Or perhaps I've finally learned how to optimize it. Declick may have been improved, too. Longer selections in the attenuate mode of spectral repair seem to work better as well. With a list like this, perhaps it's the user that's improved, not the software! But the broadband noise reduction does seem to be kicked up a notch.

The support/instructional material for Rx is a bit all over the place, with somewhat different material in the printable manual, on screen help, and the videos. A few portions of the printable manual are still very out of date. (Applicable to Rx1, not 2)

That aside, I'm more than happy with it! One of the most useful and cost effective things I've purchased.

Just my experience, I suspect the competitors are very good as well.

Practice......

Oh, one more thing: This is not necessarily useful, but may be interesting. I've only realized (also another obvious one!) that some of the "problems" we are correcting on LP's are actually problems originating from the original recording, and the tape medium and storage from which the LP was made! Perhaps it's more than restoration, it can be improving the source material as well. Whether changing or not an historical recording is an entirely situational decision.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3701

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media