Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Magic Matt

Cheap in-line attenuation unit? Do such things exist?
      #1019002 - 17/11/12 11:34 AM
I have an interface (that I may still replace) which last night I tried using with a direct in from the bass pre-amp "Line Out" - there's no adjustment on the interface for volume. Regrettably this was not a sensible move as for large chunks of the recordings it's brick-walled and distorted (any suggestions on how to clean it welcome).

This got me thinking - rather than the expense of replacing the mixing desk etc which doesn't have enough inputs, is there such a device that could go between pre-amp out and interface line in, and just drop the signal by, say, -10db?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Cheap in-line attenuation unit? Do such things exist? new [Re: Magic Matt]
      #1019016 - 17/11/12 12:30 PM
CPC Attenuator

Magic Matt

Re: Cheap in-line attenuation unit? Do such things exist? new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1019029 - 17/11/12 02:42 PM
Thanks!

Why didn't I think to look on CPC...

Magic Matt

#1019032 - 17/11/12 03:07 PM
I don't suppose you could check my maths too could you please?

My output is a +4dBu unit
My input is a -10dBV unit

I used this web page to convert both into a peak-to-peak voltage...
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

+4dBu = 3.47232701
-10dBV = 0.894427191

Then I did one over the other to get the gain I need...
0.894427191 / 3.47232701 = 0.25758725731307201967708680755849

I then worked out the voltage gain for the attenuators listed...
-10dB = 0.316228 gain
-15dB = 0.177828 gain

Since -10dB is still a little too much gain (though probably ok) I think I need the -15dB one, then there's a little extra headroom (which going into a 24bit ADC is no bad thing).

Have I got that right?

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1019035 - 17/11/12 03:47 PM
Commendable tho it is to check for peak to peak voltages, it is perfectly in order to stay with rms! The attenuation needed is 12dB near enough but 15dB would be a better bet for belts and braces headroomwise as you say. I very much doubt that noise will be a problem!

In any even I doubt that bass pre amp output is "proper" balanced? Most likely impedance balanced which banjaxes the calculations somewhat. Me? I would just put a pot in a tin!

You mentioned rescue of the distorted material? Sony Soundforge has a clipper restoration tool and you can get the whole thing for free for 30 days. I would not hold out a lot of hope for a miracle tho!

Dave.

Magic Matt

#1019217 - 18/11/12 11:35 PM
Thanks!

I'll give Sound Forge a go, thanks. Not expecting miracles, but any improvement would be good as it was a pretty good session that night. I'll keep it anyway, but any improvement I can make is going to improve things. I'm happy for a "first attempt" having not used the gear for so long and only having a 30 minute slot to setup everything, while the rest of the band were also setting up.

The pre-amp isn't just a bass pre-amp, it's actually a general purpose mic/instrument pre-amp with an EQ and compressor built in. It has two properly balanced TRS outputs.

The PA system doesn't say, but as far as we know it's a balanced output on a TRS jack. I'm playing it safe - the noise floor on the interface is very good.

4TrackMadman

#1020115 - 24/11/12 09:22 PM
How about just splitting the bass signal before it goes to amp? Sure you won't get amp coloring but honestly when recording bass getting a DI out from the bass amp usually is not as good as miking the amp or DI-ing the bass before it hits the amp. Does the bass amp have fx send/return? You might try going that route as well. Alternately you could try a cheap preamp like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP to correct the output levels or even a guitar pedal eq or the Boss Line Selector.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

Magic Matt

Re: Cheap in-line attenuation unit? Do such things exist? new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1020160 - 25/11/12 02:48 AM
Quote 4TrackMadman:

How about just splitting the bass signal before it goes to amp?

That's what I am doing... pre-amp has two outputs, one going to the amp, one going to the recorder. The issue is that the pre-amp output is pro line level, but the recorder is consumer line level. When I made the recording, I didn't know that, and didn't have time to test it.

I don't use the pre-amp section on the bass amp, because I prefer the separate pre-amp sound. I've got the attenuator and cables now so I'll give it a go next time.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3479

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media