The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jonnie

Never had it so good!
      #1019097 - 18/11/12 12:23 AM
Now I'm old enough to remember getting a demo on cassette tape (Dolby C noise reduction no less!)
getting a wad duplicated,buying Jiffy bags, running down to the Post Office - and paying 75p post to various "big labels" did they listen to them? probably not!
In this day of electronic communication abundance, its so easy to just concentrate on your music,then a few clicks on the web and voila!
Even if your a novice starting out, prices of equipment are staggeringly low compared to the early 80's when I started. You can get away with say 3, 2nd hand Emu proteus modules, master keyboard,small mixer (maybe 8/12 channel) computer with sequence software and really you can get some great results for say 600GBP! Way back when I started a 2nd hand 16 channel mixer would set you back easily 600GBP! So its never been a better time to invest in some great equipment - go to myspace, click music and type in john monaghan, I used 3 Emu proteus modules. master board, old office computer/ancient copy of Cubase. obviously I used a small digital recorder for the guitar/vocals - but the system does work!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
narcoman

Re: Never had it so good! new [Re: jonnie]
      #1019120 - 18/11/12 11:17 AM
yup in one way. Absolutely.

The downside is we no longer have a filter or barrier to entry in terms of working hard to be good! The tech hides all manner of inability.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1019130 - 18/11/12 11:55 AM
Plus, if you want to be heard there's a thousand more outlets gummed up by many million more 'artists' encouraging the more entrepreneurial amongst us to use novel means to draw attention to our product. T'was ever thus.

We've never had it so good? Depends what 'it' is.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
      #1019131 - 18/11/12 12:05 PM
Hardware (and/or software) isn't the main cost....

A hit record, a commercially successful piece of music, has to be something that moves the listener enough to make them spend. This requires a healthy level of musical, lyrical and technical expertise, which takes a long time to achieve, which costs a lot more in the long run.

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #1019149 - 18/11/12 02:09 PM
Quote jonnie:

In this day of electronic communication abundance, its so easy to just concentrate on your music,then a few clicks on the web and voila!

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

jonnie

Re: Never had it so good! new [Re: narcoman]
      #1019153 - 18/11/12 02:36 PM
Yes;
with the music field open to more lightweight "composers" it does muddy the field for serious artists in it for the long haul vying for exposure - however from a music retailers point of view (which i used to be in Glasgow) there's nothing like selling gear and advice to the next budding muso with his head full of aspirations (the bulk of the majority of music gear sold is bought by enthusiastic amateur musos - not by pro's who generally keep their top flight guitars/equipment for years!) whereas the "amateur market" has a higher frequency of sales turnaround.

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
      #1019156 - 18/11/12 02:51 PM
The big labels may not have listened to much of the unsolicited demo material they were sent back in the day. In 2012 we may not know we are born when it comes to the 'democratization' of instruments, real and virtual, and the means to record and process them into a published, digital product. Its true. As musicians we've never had it so good. Unfortunately the flip side is audiences do not value the music they hear in the same way and more seriously, they have far less band width in their attention span to actually listen to it in a meaningful way, as we generally did those hard won recordings that got produced and published up to say about 2000.

Its feast, not famine. But it sometimes feels more like gluttony than nourishment. And few seem able to remember what any of it tasted like. Too many chocolates?

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

bugiolacchi

Loc: London
Re: Never had it so good! new [Re: Frisonic]
      #1019186 - 18/11/12 06:58 PM
Absolutely, isn't it just bizarre? Totally, with the available free time in our lives and the shear amount of music, free or otherwise, that is available now!

In shame and disbelief I find myself listening more and more to music by the 'preview all' function in iTunes: it plays full minute of each song on a CD and this seems to satisfy me nowadays!

The other day I was listening (don't judge!) to the missing albums in my collection from Santana, quite a few since he recorded tens.. but I was fulfilled with this cheeky peek, not wanting to commit to any purchases, and I am not THAT stingy! Too much stuff, and in one minute, nothing 'hit me' enough to part with the best part of 80 p.

I was also catching up with the Rolling Stones, with their 30+ new compilation CD. One minute of those (awfully recorded early) tracks was more than enough FOR ME (did they use a bass player or a rumble maker?).

It's like a cake addict working in a bakery. First you rejoice, then scoff, then get sick at the sight of sugar.. I am scared, really scared now!

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

narcoman

#1019191 - 18/11/12 07:19 PM
you just mentioned my new hobby

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1019202 - 18/11/12 08:34 PM
Do you know, thinking about it, I listen to much less music than I used to. Anything recent usually comes to me via my offspring and they tend to be as incessant as I used to be. That, combined with the constant drone of the radio means I get quite enough of that to keep me happy.The last few CDs I bought were replacements for some I lent out and never saw again. Sadly, I don't feel like I'm missing much.

I do have quite a collection of YouTube videos of fave musicians from around the world, though. Folky stuff recorded in little clubs and presented as ads for the club and the band I find most satisfying. Modern tech has certainly made that kind of project possible.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

jonnie

Re: Never had it so good! new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1019214 - 18/11/12 11:03 PM
Maybe as we get older - we just listen less in every aspect of life!certainly the younger generation are incredibly teched up with an array of musical replay weapons at their disposal than we ever had in the 70's/80's. Just had a horrible thought...imagine buying your new shiny car, and as an optional extra,free music downloads for a year! (maybe I'll opt for the metallic paint finish! There will always be different musical platforms,every industry is the same,amateur,semi and pro. but as a naturally curious breed we always long for something new and exciting - music is no exception whether you make it or listen to it! (now where did I put that Hendrix LP?)

GlynB

Loc: Lancashire, UK.
      #1019271 - 19/11/12 12:41 PM
Best way to enjoy music is... to stop listening to so much of it!

Starve yerself for a few weeks, listen to nothing. Then play that recommended album by (insert name here) and it will sound so much fresher.

I can feel it happening to me, i listen to too much and it starts to lose its magic... so I listen to radio Four for a few weeks and come back to music and find myself loving something and being excited by it again.

Defo like alcohol, the more you have the less affect it has. If you crave the hit, abstain for a while.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2894

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media