Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mattyy

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Finding the Control Room Sweet Spot new
      #1016875 - 03/11/12 01:04 AM
-Am a novice/aspiring mix engineer - have never worked in a pro studio :-S.
-Have just built/tuned my own small mix studio.
-Just installed bass traps/sound proofing/damping - GREAT improvement.
-using ARC to further tune the room.
-have set up my monitor speakers so that they are about 4 feet apart (center tweeter to tweeter).
-Sitting so that the back of my head and the two tweeters (just below actually) form an equilateral triangle.

QUESTION: At this position, how do I know what is the sweet spot? If I move my head forward, the sound loses focus so I assume that this is not ideal. Sitting straight, I get more mid-range but the bass rolls off a little. If I lean back the bass is more pronounced but still tight. What should I be listening for? I have become so used to poor listening environments that it all sounds good to me but the difference is enough that I am concerned that I may produce bass light or heavy mixes depending on how I lean... LOL!! Thanks for any input here.
Matty

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Finding the Control Room Sweet Spot new [Re: Mattyy]
      #1017055 - 04/11/12 09:30 PM
How close is your listening position to the back wall? It sounds like you may be having problems with reflections from the back wall. I've just tried moving my head around while listening to our living room hifi (which has speakers placed similarly to yours) and the sound doesn't change dramatically until I get around 3 feet away from the speakers. The bass gradually decreases towards the middle of the room and then increases again as I get closer to the back wall - which is pretty much what I'd expect in this untreated room.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Mattyy

#1017667 - 08/11/12 03:36 AM
I'd say that I am about a good meter or so away from the back wall. I have dispersion, bass traps and a home made absorbent pad (rockwool) behind me. Like I said, the sound is quite good in both the sitting straight position and leaning back about a foot. The only difference is the mid to bass relationship. Mostly just wondering what engineers are listening for when they are trying to find the sweet spot. Have used my AKG headphones to compare but am also aware that headphones can be quite bass light so...

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

James PerrettModerator

#1017692 - 08/11/12 10:06 AM
In a small space with nearfield monitors I would say that the sweet spot is where the soundstage comes into focus. Listen to something with plenty going on in the middle of the stereo image. Start close to the speakers and move away until the centre sounds are obviously coming from halfway between the speakers. If you close your eyes you should be able to point to each instrument in the mix.

If you feel that the sweet spot is too close to the back wall you could try angling the speakers in a little.

James.

--------------------

narcoman

#1017698 - 08/11/12 10:18 AM
Quote Mattyy:

-Am a novice/aspiring mix engineer - have never worked in a pro studio :-S.
-Have just built/tuned my own small mix studio.
-Just installed bass traps/sound proofing/damping - GREAT improvement.
-using ARC to further tune the room.
-have set up my monitor speakers so that they are about 4 feet apart (center tweeter to tweeter).
-Sitting so that the back of my head and the two tweeters (just below actually) form an equilateral triangle.

QUESTION: At this position, how do I know what is the sweet spot? If I move my head forward, the sound loses focus so I assume that this is not ideal. Sitting straight, I get more mid-range but the bass rolls off a little. If I lean back the bass is more pronounced but still tight. What should I be listening for? I have become so used to poor listening environments that it all sounds good to me but the difference is enough that I am concerned that I may produce bass light or heavy mixes depending on how I lean... LOL!! Thanks for any input here.
Matty

four feet apart? Bit close together. You'd have to be sat just under three and a half feet away. The speakers need to point behind your head such that you are sat inside the point of an equilateral triangle. Second if the sond is moving around in frequency response that much then it sounds like you have a couple of standing wave sin the low end. Not surprising, but might need to address a bit more bass trapping.

What are the dimensions of the room? Any other construction info might be useful.

Red Mastering

Loc: London
      #1018089 - 10/11/12 10:44 PM
more bass traps is the answer

--------------------
online mastering

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Finding the Control Room Sweet Spot new [Re: Red Mastering]
      #1018333 - 13/11/12 03:15 AM
Quote Red Mastering:

more bass traps is the answer

Exactly - the more you can fit into your room, the more its acoustic peaks and troughs flatten out and make moving your head around change the sound less.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Mattyy

#1018980 - 17/11/12 01:54 AM
Thanks EVER so much for the helpful replies guys. The room is a 10'x10' square unfortunately. It is WELL soundproofed with insulation and soundproof plaster board. The roof is pitched and 8' on the sides/over 9' in the middle. I have bass traps is all 8 corners - they are over 6" thick. I have horizontal slat blinds and a large 8'x3' pad against the back wall with mirror points covered w/ acoustic foam on the side walls. I'm pretty sure I have all other bases covered as well. My gear is entry level professional at best but that doesn't concern me at this time. Mostly just interested in getting the room as right as possible.

"...the sweet spot is where the soundstage comes into focus..." THANKS especially for this piece of information as being a new comer, I think that some of these terms that pros take for granted are quite vague and cryptic at times. I tried your trick and I feel like I've found a spot that feels right. There's still issue if I lean back but again - it doesn't sound bad at all - just a bit boomier. I think that my sweet spot is definitely "limited" to say the least but we'll find out just how workable it is as I have semi steady work in the near future.

Any other advice would be more than welcome and thanks again to those who so generously offered up their wisdom here.

Cheers!

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

James PerrettModerator

Re: Finding the Control Room Sweet Spot [Re: Mattyy]
      #1019259 - 19/11/12 10:26 AM
Quote Mattyy:

There's still issue if I lean back but again - it doesn't sound bad at all - just a bit boomier.

Yes, that's exactly what I'd expect. One indicator of the quality of your room treatment and monitors is whether the stereo image holds up when you move from side to side.

James.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5196

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media