Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
JamesNewmarch

Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside) new
      #1018311 - 12/11/12 11:13 PM
So basically, through my mums work i can get hold of however much Acoustic Insulation i need for pretty much nothing.

I was wondering how many acoustic panels i will need to make and where i need to put them roughly in my room. I will be using 5.25in monitors in the position stated below. its a weird shaped room, with a window directly behind the speakers, which might not be great :/

Will probably be following this...
Youtube Link

What size panels should i make (depth, height, width)
Where should i mount them.
What corner traps are needed and where.

Would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
Re: Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside) new [Re: JamesNewmarch]
      #1018318 - 13/11/12 12:38 AM
I'll move this thread to the DIY forum which also includes Studio Design and Acoustics. You'll get far more informed eyeballs there.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside) new [Re: JamesNewmarch]
      #1018360 - 13/11/12 10:34 AM
From an acoustics point of view I would be tempted to turn things around a bit so that the speakers are on the diagonal wall. This will mean that none of the other walls are reflecting sound straight back to the listening position and this is also the closest to a symmetrical arrangement that you can get in that room.

If you can't do that, I would at least move the desk as far away from the corner as possible.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

JamesNewmarch

Re: Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside) new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1018408 - 13/11/12 02:31 PM
Quote James Perrett:

From an acoustics point of view I would be tempted to turn things around a bit so that the speakers are on the diagonal wall. This will mean that none of the other walls are reflecting sound straight back to the listening position and this is also the closest to a symmetrical arrangement that you can get in that room.

If you can't do that, I would at least move the desk as far away from the corner as possible.

James.

So whack the desk on the diagonal wall? Where would you recommend putting some panels if i were to keep the desk in the space or is it the window causing the problems.

thefruitfarmer

Loc: Kent UK
      #1018530 - 14/11/12 10:50 AM
Quote JamesNewmarch:

I was wondering how many acoustic panels i will need to make and where i need to put them roughly in my room. I will be using 5.25in monitors in the position stated below. its a weird shaped room, with a window directly behind the speakers, which might not be great :/

Youtube Link

It is going to be a compromise because you are using the room as a bedroom as well and I would agree with James that having a speaker right in the corner is not good...

Ideally you would get everything out of the room and find the optimum position for the speakers, and then arrange teh kit and furniture around that.

The basic principle is to keep adding Rockwool traps until the acoustic problems go away...

Have you considered mounting traps on the ceiling/wall corners?

It looks quite full in there so that may be your only option....

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1018570 - 14/11/12 02:27 PM
Quote JamesNewmarch:

So whack the desk on the diagonal wall? Where would you recommend putting some panels if i were to keep the desk in the space or is it the window causing the problems.

The main problem is that your left ear is close to the storage while your right ear is in relatively free space. Reflections from the storage is going to be the biggest problem.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

GIK Acoustics

Loc: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
Re: Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside) [Re: thefruitfarmer]
      #1019384 - 20/11/12 05:00 AM
Quote thefruitfarmer:

Quote JamesNewmarch:

Youtube Link

It is going to be a compromise because you are using the room as a bedroom as well and I would agree with James that having a speaker right in the corner is not good...

Ideally you would get everything out of the room and find the optimum position for the speakers, and then arrange teh kit and furniture around that.

The basic principle is to keep adding Rockwool traps until the acoustic problems go away...

Have you considered mounting traps on the ceiling/wall corners?

It looks quite full in there so that may be your only option....

Very good points above! This would be my solution as well. Let us know when you've found optimal position, and we can comment on treatment from there.

--------------------
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3390

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media