The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: Gone To Lunch]
      #1016682 - 01/11/12 07:17 PM
Quote Gone To Lunch:

I mean that I disagree that 'music is inherent in human DNA'

What about the Arts, Science, "stamp collecting".

Music is a form of communication, plus music doesn't have the same values today because it's all image based and doesn't really have substance like the old days, where an artist, like John Lennon,Bob Marley, could influence a whole society.

As to quality, as I've said before, a fluffy MP3 can make me feel sick, whereas a clear recording of the same music can make me ecstatic.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
GlynB

Loc: Lancashire, UK.
Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: ]
      #1016768 - 02/11/12 12:13 PM
Quote Music Manic:

As to quality, as I've said before, a fluffy MP3 can make me feel sick, whereas a clear recording of the same music can make me ecstatic.

Hang on. What about very early recordings that are all that exists, for example some blues artists, would you refuse to listen the their music because the sound qualirty is not top notch?

You have to listen beyond the limitations of the format and enjoy the music for the artistic connection it provides, no?

--------------------

narcoman

Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: GlynB]
      #1016785 - 02/11/12 01:24 PM
Quote GlynB:

Quote Music Manic:

Hang on. What about very early recordings that are all that exists, for example some blues artists, would you refuse to listen the their music because the sound qualirty is not top notch?

You have to listen beyond the limitations of the format and enjoy the music for the artistic connection it provides, no?

Early recordings are still full fat.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1016826 - 02/11/12 04:25 PM
Quote GlynB:

I recently bought 2 remastered JB Lenoir CDs and the quality was spot on for some of the tracks compared to the "original" vinyl.

Some of the old Elvis and Beatles stuff was bad quality and became tiresome after a while, whereas some remastered Elvis stuff I have is just how I want it.

CDs are the thing for me even though drive based products are very handy.

A Non O Miss

Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: bugiolacchi]
      #1016849 - 02/11/12 06:31 PM
well, all i know is that i'd rather listen to a 96kb distorted mp3 of a really good song then a 96/24 .wav of a really poor song...

fay spook

#1016858 - 02/11/12 07:21 PM
Quote Music Manic:

plus music doesn't have the same values today because it's all image based and doesn't really have substance like the old days, where an artist, like John Lennon,Bob Marley, could influence a whole society.

Wow, artists who sadly died in the 1980s are now considered from the old days. How would music from 500 years ago be considered?

Please dont think artists from the old days didnt have a carefully worked out public image. I will remain respectful of the dead, so please do your own research.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/for-mash-get-ash

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: fay spook]
      #1017762 - 08/11/12 06:17 PM
Quote fay spook:

Quote Music Manic:

plus music doesn't have the same values today because it's all image based and doesn't really have substance like the old days, where an artist, like John Lennon,Bob Marley, could influence a whole society.

Wow, artists who sadly died in the 1980s are now considered from the old days. How would music from 500 years ago be considered?

Please dont think artists from the old days didnt have a carefully worked out public image. I will remain respectful of the dead, so please do your own research.

I didn't say they didn't have an image (and some didn't, especially the black blues artists), I said that standards were higher in those days, with regards to talent. Until Elvis sang his version of "That's alright" Sam Phillips didn't think he was cutting the mustard. You were booed off stage at the Apollo theatre if you weren't pleasing the crowd, and look how many greats it produced(not mediocre, but great). That mentality produced higher standards. Now producers don't worry because it's mostly image based marketing and talent has a smaller percentage when it comes to drive.

GlynB

#1018255 - 12/11/12 02:51 PM
Raises the whole question of what a recording is for.

Surely the idea of a recording is to listen to a particular performance, captured at a point in time. It's not about taking that performance and filtering it through 'artifacts'... or is it?

Maybe for some people the artifacts you get from listening, say on vinyl, are all a positive part of the listening experience?

For me they're an irrelevance, even annoying. So anything that gets the artifacts of a recording medium out of the way, so i can hear the pure performance, as if the artist was with me in the room, is the best format. And so... I like CD*.

*Yes i appreciate there are issues with CD, but way less intrusive than anything that went before.

That said, to agree with a previous poster, it's ultimately the content that matters, despite the medium by which you come to hear it. Crap content, and it doesn't make any difference how you listen and what quality of the audio it is.

--------------------

balvenie

#1018958 - 16/11/12 11:03 PM
AKA Tekkno or Tekknozid. Fundi-Tekkno is the opposite of 'Prol-Tekkno' (Proletarier Tekkno) i.e. proletarian techno. The giant Loveparade is the very heart of Prol-Tekkno. The heart of hardcore Tekkno is the Fu¢kparade in Berlin every August. Sometimes it turns into a full-blown riot if the police try to stop it happening. If the OP wants to learn about hardcore Tekkno, Berlin is really the only city on Earth to go to.

I have not been here for ages, but again I see threads shut down with nonsense like this. If you want to be a DJ then obviously you have to understand music, probably from school...It is still possible, listen to Clouds from Glasgow, and Gary Beck. They are proper DJ's but they are musicians making money suprisingly.
It's Techno mate! not Tekkno.

Edited by balvenie (16/11/12 11:29 PM)

balvenie

#1018967 - 16/11/12 11:49 PM
I would like to add that Acid Pro 4, keyboards, some bongos. talent and some sneaky bits from spotify can send a crowd on fire. I think you are out of date and need to subscribe to Bob Lefsetz. He gets to the core of out of date groups.

bugiolacchi

Loc: London
Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: balvenie]
      #1018978 - 17/11/12 01:36 AM
How did we get from a discussion on quality of recordings/playback to this gibberish "bongos with loops sending people crazy", crazed out of their brains with 'illegal substances'...

I followed this discussion and found it rather interesting, up to this point. Yes, in the good ol' days listening to an AM signal or £20 stereo system with cassette player was enough to make us love the music being produced by great and creative musicians and performers. Live, energetic performances captured by engineers which task was to transport this magic onto our homes...

Having said this.. it's still great to hear top notch recordings of great music. Yes, you can eat good tasting food on a plastic pic-nic table, but when it's well served and garnished, it's an extra pleasurable experience.

Personally I am now rediscovering Italian pop-music, in terms of sound recordings and musicianship. STADIO This is nearly 10 years old... but when one of the songs come on my iPod it sounds as I switch from tape to CD, even when I am listening to MP3s! ahhhh

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

TBTS

#1019004 - 17/11/12 11:39 AM
The thing with audio is that, once you've hit a certain point, the returns for increased quality are somewhat diminished, therefore it makes complete sense to use whichever suits your delivery or storage method.

--------------------
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

GlynB

Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: TBTS]
      #1019273 - 19/11/12 12:57 PM
Quote TBTS:

The thing with audio is that, once you've hit a certain point, the returns for increased quality are somewhat diminished, therefore it makes complete sense to use whichever suits your delivery or storage method.

This is so true.

I was at someone home yesterday and they were pointing out the blades of grass visible on the rugby pitch due to the benefit of HD TV... maybe so, but it was still a boring rugby game!

--------------------

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1019380 - 20/11/12 04:04 AM
People don't know what they want (Actually Steve Jobs said that).

If you take good music, and give it to people with quality audio, they will appreciate it.

If you start with bad music, quality audio makes it worse.

It's like the Swamp Thing's magic formula = It just makes you more of what you already are.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! new [Re: DC-Choppah]
      #1019385 - 20/11/12 05:46 AM
Quote DC-Choppah:

People don't know what they want (Actually Steve Jobs said that).

If you take good music, and give it to people with quality audio, they will appreciate it.

If you start with bad music, quality audio makes it worse.

It's like the Swamp Thing's magic formula = It just makes you more of what you already are.

I'll keep saying this...... Better quality audio takes me to a different emotional level than it would if were inferior. Your heart won't thump as hard if you listen to a powerful club track on your mobile phone, even though the track is great. It could stir your emotions and memory but there has to be a level of audio quality. We always talk of harsh highs and fluffy basses. All these relate to audio quality and act as a guidance for mixers.

I find some music today quite bad, when it comes to substance and depth of the artists, but the productions are excellent from a sonic point of view.

bugiolacchi

#1019398 - 20/11/12 10:25 AM
Totally, again, if you listen to lots of tracks through the years, as you are allowed by the 1:30 of music 'preview' from iTunes, then you realise the (upwards) jump in recording quality in the last few years.
Even classical music recordings are better nowadays.

'Quality' pop has in particularly jumped up in recording quality: I was listening to the Led Zep just released live CD and it sounds just amazing! Also indulge yourself to the new Donald Fegan output, sonically divine. Even Rihanna, with a genre that I abhor, still sounds quite amazing, although if it's 'electronic' flavoured music and forefront of sonic purity that you are after, you can do worse than listen to the latest Muse or Radiohead.

The biggest sound shock I get is playing 'eighties' music: those Synclaviers, Fairlights, and worse, Korg M1/3 etc. pianos and 'classical guitars'... then squashed to death for radio, tons upon tons of Lexicon reverbs all over ... everything really: how could we listen to vocals from grottos (e.g. George Michael..)..?

Here, I am again focusing on recording quality and sounds, not content: I still prefer to watch Casablanca in B&W on a TV set than Avatar on 3D LED screen, for sure!

I still suggest my Anglo-Saxon friends out there who enjoy quality popular music, to adventure abroad a bit. There are some Italian (suggested above), French, German and Spanish productions which are very 'traditional' in terms of instrumentation and arrangements, but at the highest quality in terms of performances! For instance in Italy, since the music market is tiny in comparison to the UK (with US, AU, etc at your immediate disposal and access to) even an average act, if signed by a major, gets full treatment of some of the best studios in the world, top notch seasoned musicians (again, listen to STADIO, for instance), arrangers etc. You can hear the fussy drummer who changed the tom rims to brass to give the extra 'organic' humf to the odd tom roll. Bliss!

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

C.LYDE

Loc: South Africa
      #1019410 - 20/11/12 11:30 AM
Quote bugiolacchi:

Totally,... recording quality in the last few years.Even classical music recordings are better nowadays.

as compared to what - vinyl..CD?..DVD audio?

Quote:

'Quality' pop has in particularly jumped up in recording quality: I was listening to the Led Zep just released live CD and it sounds just amazing! Also indulge yourself to the new Donald Fegan output, sonically divine. Even Rihanna, with a genre that I abhor, still sounds quite amazing, although if it's 'electronic' flavoured music and forefront of sonic purity that you are after, you can do worse than listen to the latest Muse or Radiohead.

Pop - From Rihanna Led Zep to Donal Fagen .. hang on these are totally different genres - have never heard a club mix of DF...

Quote:

The biggest sound shock I get is playing 'eighties' music: those Synclaviers, Fairlights, and worse, Korg M1/3 etc. pianos and 'classical guitars'... then squashed to death for radio, tons upon tons of Lexicon reverbs all over ... everything really: how could we listen to vocals from grottos (e.g. George Michael..)..?

The bit of irony here is that many gear brand names stake their claim based on eighties big verb sound..think Lexicon, TC Electronic, Yamaha, and lets not forget delays, and all sorts of modulation.
The era that probably introduced all the technology we are using today, in retrospect produced the worst sounding examples!

Quote:

I still suggest my Anglo-Saxon friends ... but at the highest quality in terms of performances! For instance in Italy, since the music market is tiny in comparison to the UK (with US, AU, etc at your immediate disposal and access to) even an average act, if signed by a major, gets full treatment of some of the best studios in the world, top notch seasoned musicians (again, listen to STADIO, for instance), arrangers etc. You can hear the fussy drummer who changed the tom rims to brass to give the extra 'organic' humf to the odd tom roll. Bliss!

I'm not Anglo-Saxon, and possibly due to this I don't follow you - are you commenting on the recording quality or the performance or both?
The concept of "quality" is always going to be subjective, always...

The ridiculous bit about musicians is that we spend far too much time discussing the tools and forget the art-form itself, if indeed some of us still consider it that... art? Or maybe we've managed to make the 2 inseparable and hence the confusion..is Hendrix still Hendrix on a 4$ wooden guitar.. or was the electric amp the real attraction etc.

If we used the analogy of have-canvas-will-paint; the modern music making process is need-studio will-maybe-make-song.

--------------------
C.LYDE
http://soundcloud.com/c-lyde

Edited by C.LYDE (20/11/12 11:48 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: People don't need/want good quality audio!! [Re: C.LYDE]
      #1019450 - 20/11/12 02:31 PM
Quote C.LYDE:

as compared to what - vinyl..CD?..DVD audio?

Just sound reproduction, whichever form.

Quote C.LYDE:

The ridiculous bit about musicians is that we spend far too much time discussing the tools and forget the art-form itself, if indeed some of us still consider it that... art? Or maybe we've managed to make the 2 inseparable and hence the confusion..is Hendrix still Hendrix on a 4$ wooden guitar.. or was the electric amp the real attraction etc.

If we used the analogy of have-canvas-will-paint; the modern music making process is need-studio will-maybe-make-song.

Again.....you are talking about two different worlds. Sound reproduction is down to the engineers and academics, music composition is down to the artist. Marry them both and you have the perfect take. Hendrix would never have got his creative sounds down if it weren't for Eddie Kramer.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 17862

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media