Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
really exciting question about plasterboard
      #1019648 - 21/11/12 07:42 PM
hi guys, hoping you can help, ive been reading the studio sos article about building a vocal booth, im onto all the 'ingredients' for the large bass trap that gets built im talking more about the construction of the actual room to put that in. ive read about layers of plasterboard being the way forwards with a stud wall kind of setup for the frame, basically i want a vocal booth in my bands rehearsal room so i can record relatively clean vocals without drums and guitars all over the vocals, i realise im not going to get completely separate bleed free vocals. anyway the question is ive seen the standard plasterboard as well as some with the polystyrene on about 2cm thick is this worth the extra money or is the difference negligible. thanks in advance for any advice!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
GIK Acoustics

Loc: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
Re: really exciting question about plasterboard new [Re: KuRu]
      #1019689 - 22/11/12 01:41 AM
The standard drywall will be fine. If you wish for slightly better isolation, just buy thicker drywall. More worth the money and the effort.

--------------------
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1019761 - 22/11/12 01:15 PM
The polystyrene will have no effect on acoustic isolation.

Gyproc's recommended configuration for acoustic isolation is to use a layer of 19mm plasterboard next to the studs and a second layer of 12mm acoustic plasterboard over that. Keep the joins between boards staggered between layers. If you want to go even better you can add another layer of 15mm acoustic plasterboard. On my recent studio build I also used Green Glue between layers while on the previous build we had a layer of fibreboard (known as a Camden Partition).

Your local builder's merchant may well offer better deals on plasterboard than the big DIY places.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
      #1019793 - 22/11/12 04:30 PM
excellent thx for the advice guys!!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2302

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media