Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kola

How do I update my Akai S1000 to the latest OS??? new
      #728930 - 25/04/09 07:20 AM
Want to update my S1000 to the latest OS (v4.40)so it can read S3000 format which to me is an invaluable feature.

I have downloaded the file direct from Akai here:-
http://www.akaipro.com/company/media2.php?download_id=WzRXMQRmD28%3D
The instructions are sketchy to say the least so I use logic.

1 - I format the floppy in the Akai and then put the floppy in my PC and then double click the S1000 OS file that is supposed to do the rest and.......... Nothing!! Taking it this is down to my PC not being able to read Akai disk format.

2 - I format the floppy in my PC and then double click the S1000 OS file that is supposed to do the rest and the floppy drive makes noises for a minute or two. Nothing on my PC screen says complete or anything to go on at all but there are no noises from the floppy drive on my PC for a few mins. So, I take the floppy and pop it in my S1000 and it tells me its unrecognizable format.

Anyone please point out what I am doing wrong here?

If not would anyone be a great help and post me a floppy with the OS v4.40 on it. Ill gladly paypal a few quid for costs as well as be very grateful.

--------------------
VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: How do I update my Akai S1000 to the latest OS??? new [Re: Kola]
      #728939 - 25/04/09 08:00 AM
Have you tried just dragging the OS onto the floppy instead of clicking it? Had to upgrade a 3K recently and this worked.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Kola

Re: How do I update my Akai S1000 to the latest OS??? new [Re: ken long]
      #728950 - 25/04/09 08:16 AM
Hi ken, could give it a bash. Dont know how your S3K worked but this is a zip file which im guessing must be unzipped on my PC first.

Once unzipped it reveals a .exe file that I think is a PC only thingy.

Mind I could try dragging it over then executing it from the floppy.

--------------------
VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

ken long

#728953 - 25/04/09 08:26 AM
I meant dragging the .exe

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Kola

Re: How do I update my Akai S1000 to the latest OS??? new [Re: ken long]
      #728958 - 25/04/09 08:39 AM
Do i format floppy in the akai or the PC first?

Do I execute file from floppy whilst in the PC or just leave it and put the floppy straight into the akai?

--------------------

ken long

#728959 - 25/04/09 08:44 AM
Format the disk in the sampler.

Drag the file from the PC to the Floppy.

Load sampler with disk inserted. Check OS on startup. Load from this disk every time you switch it on. If its like the 3K, you will have to do this each and every time.`

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Kola

#728964 - 25/04/09 08:59 AM
Not happening Ken.

Furthest I got was just double clicking the exe from my pc. It loads a DOS window where you have to press enter to get it to auto extract to floppy.
Get a message saying "An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly."

I get Close or Ignore options to select both of which do bot all.

If I put an Akai formatted floppy (either high or lo density) my PC will only let me format it as it doesnt recognise it.

Thanks for your help mate but it looks like I need someone with DOS win95/98 to do this for me as XP did away with DOS altogether if I remember correctly.

If anyone has a floppy with this on please post me it. Ill pay ya fees .

--------------------

ken long

#728970 - 25/04/09 09:25 AM
Hmmm...

Where are you based? Find yourself a cheap internet cafe. The ones here in East London still use 98 and usually have a floppy drive. It worked for me.

Good luck.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Kola

#728997 - 25/04/09 10:46 AM
Im from very near Durham. You lucky we have the internet never mind a cafe to go with it

--------------------

Kola

#729276 - 26/04/09 01:22 PM
UPDATE:-

I have it o authority of someone claims to have done this and run into the same problem that this can only be done from a PC running Win 95/98/ME (possible DOS but not tried)

When I try it out for myself Ill update but no reason to doubt word of person telling me.

--------------------

Kola

#735252 - 15/05/09 06:45 PM
UPDATE -

The Akai file on the Akai site is corrupt. Now 4 people have all tried from different parts of the country on different kit etc etc. We cant all be wrong so its the file itself.

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #735302 - 15/05/09 09:50 PM
Are you using "OS Maker" to format and write the floppy? It's a DOS app
You can't use a windows/fat format floppy in the Akai, you can't use an Akai format flopy in windows as it wont recognise it..
I doubt the file is corrupt.

Kola

#735350 - 16/05/09 07:12 AM
Hey Martin.

If you doubt the file is corrupt why dont you give it a go yourslef??

Dont worry about not having an S1000 sampler. You wont even get that far.

Here what I get....

On my win98 box specially kept for my samplers I double click the downloaded akai file just like instructed to with the accompanying text file.

It opens a DOSbox type envorioment and asks you something (like press Y to continue - cant remember of the top of my head)

There really isnt a lot of option to get wrong so far is there? DOuble clicking the downloaded .exe and pressing Y once.

Then it crashes or hangs however you want to put it.

Remember the DOSbox environment actually opens and it gives you an instruction so it does actually work, it just crashes sharply after that so I cant see how its anything we're doing wrong. If it were it would surely work or not work at all.

As said there inst a whole lot of options here but if you still feel you can get it to work and the file isn't corrupt why don't you tell all four of us how. We'd be over the moon as were all wanting to use S3000 samples hence wanting the update.

vinyl_junkie

#735410 - 16/05/09 11:41 AM
Ah right...I would love to try but I don't have a WIN98 pc or even a PC with a floppy disk drive any longer lol
They all got ZIP's for my MPC hahah
I was lucky my 3200xl came with the lates os on floppy as I don't have to use it lol I only use it if I want to use the sampler with MESA or re-cycle other wise it's buggy or certain features simply don't work hahah
I stick to 1.5 on my 3200xl other wise

DJW

Loc: W. Mids. England, Great Britai...
      #735636 - 17/05/09 03:48 PM
Hmm...

It's been a while since I did it. I think this is the procedure. I may be wrong, but here goes...

1. Download the latest OS off the web. It should be a midi file.
2. Save the download to CD (or 3.5 floppy if you have one installed in your computer).
3. Then, load up your sequencing software.
4. Connect your S1000 via your midicard to the computer, (Midi out of the PC to the Midi in on the S1000).
5. Press Enter on your computer.
6. When the OS has finished transmitting to the S1000, press the space bar to stop.
7. Format a floppy disk in your S1000.
8. Now, on your S1000, press save, (below softkey F7, i think), scroll to where it says "Type of Save" and turn the data knob until it reads "Operating System".
9. Press "Save" again on the S1000.
10. The new OS should now be saved to disk.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DJW (17/05/09 03:56 PM)

DJW

#737333 - 23/05/09 07:38 AM
Hi

Did you get the OS to load?

--------------------
Duncan J. White

Edited by DJW (23/05/09 07:38 AM)

Kola

#737350 - 23/05/09 10:10 AM
Hi Duncan.

Sorry fella for not replying after you had taken the time to help me. I have been with little to no connection to the net for the past week.

Im not even going to try mate. Ive had enough of SCSI and buying the wrong cards and the wrong cables (so far totaling 50 quid alone) Then getting ripped of by chickensys who have the worlds worst customer service who I bought an editing program from called Millennium. Another 50 quid so already were on to 100 quid. I found a firm also in America that sells the latest OS for these samplers so theres another 25 quid.

Well for half the prices of ableton I have nearly got my S1000 working but sill require zip drives and there we go with the SCSI headache again.

Ive had enough Duncan. Ready to smash them all up with a large sledge hammer to be honest.

I really appreciated you advice and trying to help me but the whole reason I love old analogue gear is because it sounds better and is far easier to use. I can say the opposite about old samplers. Just going to buy 'sampler' for me PC.

Shame but I just havent the time or energy to devote to incorporating a classic sampler into my studio anymore.

Again, a huge thanks mate.

Mickey

DJW

#737362 - 23/05/09 11:11 AM
Give up??? That's a real shame. It's a classic sampler.

No doubt we've all been in that boat ie: spending lots of time and money on things like that, I know I have. Oh well if you're sure you want to give up. Are you sure you won't give it one more go?

--------------------
Duncan J. White

Edited by DJW (23/05/09 11:12 AM)

Kola

Re: How do I update my Akai S1000 to the latest OS??? new [Re: DJW]
      #737423 - 23/05/09 03:54 PM
Gave it one more go ten goes and 50 quid ago mate.

Need to get one with making some tunes now as opposed farting around trying to get this dinosaur to work due to pure nostalgia.

I have tried hard for 6 months now so it isn't without trying very hard that I give up. You just caught me at the tail end.

vinyl_junkie

#737443 - 23/05/09 06:17 PM
Should of got a cheap S-5000 or S3200xl mate, the S-1000 doesnt even have resonant filters..yea it sounds great..nice old 16bit sound but the 3200xl and s-5000 are so much better...after all the cash you pumped in the 1000 you could of got one of those newer Akai's.
I can do things in it with in seconds
You know my 3200xl and MPC are true work horses of my setup to this day lol
MIDI timing of the MPC is also so much tighter than my crappy USB interface

Kola

Re: How do I update my Akai S1000 to the latest OS??? new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #737459 - 23/05/09 07:20 PM
Hey martin.

Yep certainly could have had an S5000 buy the time I count up all the cash its cost to get this far. Time to call it, enough is enough.

No sure the S3K series was any better though. I know you swear by yours but I always though of the S3K series being much like the S1K except for the extra synthesis features.

Maybe the S5K series but seriously, why bother when Ableton or any DAW does it all included in the price.

What any decent DAW / virtual instruments doesnt do good analogue sounds as we both well know. They just lack the depth and bass and charicter.
However mimicking an S1000 is piss easy I think.

My digital JP8080 can be mimic'd by many free soft synths, I totally admit and agree. However there I can argue the JP is much more intuitive from a touchy feely sort of way. Very hands on and inspiring unlike virtual synths controlled with a mouse and keyboard - I find anyhow so I have a great amount of use for my digital JP

However the S1000 and most digital samplers is the total opposite! Everyone tried since back to the Atari ST days to use a nice large screen for editing (I know you dont, martin but your the exception as most prefer the big screen to edit on)
This has gone back to the days of Steinberg Avalon right trough to Akai's MESA and Millennium.
So, I can see how virtual studios cannot easily replace analogue's or even a good digital synth.
But in my opinion and after 6 months hard (very hard) work of trying to incoperate the S1000 into my set up I feel the days of the hardware sampler are long gone and it really does pain me to say this as you know I live in the past as in their day the Akia's were a must have item.

Now move over hardware sampler, time for me to save some money and make some tunes.

jimelectric

This is how! new [Re: Kola]
      #1018450 - 13/11/12 06:39 PM
I bought an S1000 a few days ago and the first thing I did was try and create this v4.40 floppy in order for my S1000 to see all the 12MB RAM it has.

First I installed Win98 in VMWare but I kept getting the "diskette error - try another" error.
It turned out to be much easier to create this v4.40 floppy.
No need to install Win98 at all.

1. Create a Win98 startup floppy disk (Google for it).
2. Copy the S1K-440.EXE program onto the same floppy.
3. Reboot into Win98 DOS (go into your BIOS settings first and set your floppy to be the first boot device).
4. Once in DOS, copy the S1K-44.EXE program from A: to C: ("copy A:/S1K-440.EXE C:/")
5. Go into C: (type C:) and run S1K-440.EXE
6. Job's a good un!

Magic Matt

Re: This is how! new [Re: jimelectric]
      #1019407 - 20/11/12 11:18 AM
The files on the AKAI site are NOT corrupted.You do need to do as the post above describes, and boot into DOS. You can also do it on XP in a DOS window. It will not work on Vista or Windows 7, even under emulation.

I'll also selling two ZIP drives (SCSI and USB versions), ZIP disks, SCSI interface and S2000 sampler on eBay after I've got them from Mum's and given them a test to make sure all is still in good working order before listing on eBay. If you change your mind about throwing in the towel and want any of this lot, feel free to PM me. I'm selling it with all money going to the Motor Neurone Disease Association. There may be other bits with it as well, I can't honestly remember what's on the CD and floppies.

Edited by Magic Matt (20/11/12 11:23 AM)

Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
Re: How do I update my Akai S1000 to the latest OS??? [Re: Kola]
      #1019669 - 21/11/12 10:18 PM
Guys thanks but this thread is years old and I havent got an S1000 any longer.

(Hey thats my old 'Kola' account I got locked out of so started this new one.

--------------------
(Sent via my iPhone and no doubt riddled with typos as a result)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
7 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 11875

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media