The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jonnie

music instrument scams on ebay new
      #1018751 - 15/11/12 07:05 PM
Hi gang:
After reading about the numerous scams on ebay,what exactly does ebay do about it? Now... at the last count I'd lost around 1700.00 GBP through various scams! The classic "Memorymoog" synth got me stung for 1170 GBP a while back - here's the details on what happened: won the synth; the seller ( Robert Gibson,Prestwick. South Ayrshire, KA92RT, Scotland ),I'd emailed him that rather than post,i'd drive down to Ayr from Glasgow to pick the synth up-and do COD,easy! but he then said the moog was up in his studio up at Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands and just do a Barclays bank transfer to his engineers account there (Romeo Cotovanu, 4A Garrison Road Kirkwall KW15 1GN Orkney! was my call if I wanted to do the transaction (he'd some high end mixers for sale as well - and they sold! )so i transferred the money, and... nothing, contacted ebay who told me to wait 2 weeks just in case of a delay! still nothing,then ebay phoned saying sorry for my predicament and would transfer 500 GBP into my Paypal account as a goodwill gesture! guess what...nothing! now I'd queried the other music items for sale by this seller,but they declined to comment on other transactions! Theoretically this guy ripped off in excess of 3000GBP could'nt contact ebay after that!
The other was a 2nd chance offer on a Trek mountain bike, which I accepted, paid by Paypal to Peter James, Shopdeal, never recieved the bike - again emailed him,staed his brother had forgot to post it..SCAM, 530GBP Paypal "awarded" me 150GBP take it or leave it (unprofessional company)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
John F

Loc: Canterbury, UK
Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: jonnie]
      #1019481 - 20/11/12 05:49 PM
So the guy with the Memory Moog - what was his ebay feedback

--------------------
Current live keyboards - Kurzweil PC3x - Korg Triton Extreme + Moss - Roland V-Synth V2. www.xyzband.info

jonnie

Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: John F]
      #1019485 - 20/11/12 06:30 PM
John;
Think there was 3 previous purchases by this guy, so feedback would be low!
but I guess a false name/ address etc.. he's probably a seasoned scammer - very well constructed replies, not a hard sell - in fact he mentioned if I did'nt want to go through with the sale (due to my querying the different location of the synth - he'd just re advertise! ) very subtle..
john

narcoman

#1019518 - 20/11/12 10:58 PM
Man, someone changes the deal and you followed it? Crikes fellah, be careful!!!

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1019604 - 21/11/12 12:48 PM
er dude, don't tell Paypal, tell the Police. And Trading Standards. And your solicitor.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

jonnie

Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: narcoman]
      #1019608 - 21/11/12 01:04 PM
Moving goalposts?...
Well as I indicated,very well executed scam,basically if I had'nt won the memorymoog - someone else would have! Unfortunately it was me! My moog Voyager was purchased by direct bank transfer (advertised on SOS) no problems Emu stuff as well - no hassle, VS2480 (SOS again) but ebay seems to be a breeding ground for this sort of disease! I can only warn potential buyers to just weigh up the risks,even the Trek 9800 bike was a 2nd chance offer from ebay - did'nt think of any risk of a scam there,and yet was fleeced for 530GBP?! I used to be a high profile buyer on ebay,not any more (maybe thats why they advertise on T.V. now)

For the billions in profit they make per year, obviously my paltry loss means nothing to them - nothing like an irate customer,probably nothing new in what I'm writing, actually I could just advertise a fake Memorymoog,let it run for a week, make a few grand, and just send a plank of wood in the post! but I wont, I'm a musician - always will be.

One last thing..ebay told me just to contact paypal to "process" my loss on the Trek bike, automated response of: "paypal have "awarded" you 150GBP?! well short of my loss! a sorry tale of burnt fingers, but they keep emailing me to buy things? dont think so!

jonnie

Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: feline1]
      #1019610 - 21/11/12 01:15 PM
Main problem was the sheer time delay ebay set on me to make a "claim through their resolution centre" must have been 3.5 weeks, maybe even 4, now if your house was burgled, would you wait 3.5 weeks to contact the police etc?) as I stated these guys obviously exploit the gaping holes in ebays system - to great effect! I notified my local police office,but even they questioned the massive delay time! just told me to deal with paypal, and when paypal "award" considerably less than what you lost - what the hell do you do then?! complete minefield!

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1019611 - 21/11/12 01:19 PM
I'm sorry you have lost out several times on eBay. I've never had a problem in over 200 transactions. My rule of thumb is to make sure the seller has good and numerous feedback. If it is a high ticket item, I will contact the seller to discuss the product with them.

I've never had to claim money back from Paypal, but I thought they only covered transactions that they processed, not ones done by bank transfer outside of their process.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1019612 - 21/11/12 01:27 PM
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/buyer-protection.html#policy

Quote:

You paid with PayPal to the seller’s nominated PayPal account. (If you have not paid with PayPal you should still enter your case as eBay will try, as set out below, to facilitate a resolution with the seller.)

The item you purchased is not excluded from the programme (see Exclusions from eBay Buyer Protection).

You paid for the item in full with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments - such as a deposit followed by a final payment - aren't eligible.

You sent payment to the seller using the Pay Now button - including situations when your transaction was completed through a third party checkout - or through the Send Money button of your PayPal account by selecting eBay Item and entering your eBay user ID and the eBay item number.

You aren't protected by eBay's buyer protection policy unless you follow the numerous requirements; I've quoted just the first few, but it seems that as you haven't followed their guidance, then it is a case of 'buyer beware'.

In your case eBay seem to have offered you some compensation as you have been ripped off, but you are not fully covered by eBay's buyer protection unless you fulfill the criteria. I would suggest in future you pay via Paypal, that is if you ever use eBay again.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

jonnie

Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1019613 - 21/11/12 01:32 PM
I've probably spent over 9000GBP on ebay, if you read my previous statement on the Trek bike, that was prompted by a 2nd chance offer, paid via paypal, and paypal paid out 150GBP of the original 530GBP loss, so if you have'nt had any losses - Bravo! Be interesting to see what happens if you do! I suspect expensive items dont get the full amount back, maybe lesser value items get fully reimbursed, grey area my friend!

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1019621 - 21/11/12 03:07 PM
Quote Richie Royale:

I've never had a problem in over 200 transactions. My rule of thumb is to make sure the seller has good and numerous feedback. If it is a high ticket item, I will contact the seller to discuss the product with them.

Best answer. Unless you can go see the item in person, feedback is king. Also, paying outside eBay for eBay listed products is dodgy as hell (unless, again, you go in person).

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

feline1

#1019711 - 22/11/12 10:08 AM
Quote jonnie:

I notified my local police office,but even they questioned the massive delay time! just told me to deal with paypal, and when paypal "award" considerably less than what you lost - what the hell do you do then?! complete minefield!

If the police refuse to investigate a crime, then you lodge a complaint through their complaints process, and keep escalating it until you get the result you want.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

jonnie

#1019750 - 22/11/12 12:32 PM
Maybe i did'nt push hard enough! basically comes down to money - a touchy subject when things go wrong! Argument is that even if you're covered by ebays financial wing paypal, in my csae they did'nt reimburse me! so damned if you do, damned if you dont!

feline1

#1019780 - 22/11/12 03:13 PM
money? a crime has been committed. we pay tax to fund the police to solve crime. Get in!

--------------------

Wiseau

Re: music instrument scams on ebay [Re: jonnie]
      #1019942 - 23/11/12 02:10 PM
I nearly got caught out this week. A guy was selling a brand new MPC Renaissance, the bidding started at £300 - yeah right, try finding one for less than about £700. Warning bells should have started ringing, but I kept a watch on it.
He ended the auction early, saying he had sold it 5 minutes ago. I was planning on bidding the next day. I sent him a message, and he accepted my offer, and refunded the 'buyer'. Then he wanted do the old Paypal transfer, but it had to be straight away! no time to lose!
Basically I left it there, with no further contact. There were no 'you've wasted my time' messages sent to me.
His user name is scott-wild99 - I could be badmouthing him, but I doubt it.
I've bought from ebay before, from online companies with no problems. Check the feedback is a good starting point, as others have said.

--------------------
'You know it's a bad role when Nic Cage passes on it.'

jonnie

Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: Wiseau]
      #1021714 - 01/12/12 11:55 AM
Yes..Its difficult/impossible to know whether an individual is legit, now i've been tracking memorymoog sales on ebay,(put in a low bid) generally they're "pulled by ebay" however one that ran the distance (finished on the 20.11.2012)was a scammer!
Now it sold for a whopping 3800 quid - 56 bidders, paypal only, the seller "mikely2000" with zero feedback! Now did the buyer pay 3800 + 40 quid post? dont know? - but he left negative feedback on ebay, stating it was a scam!
The synth had every concievable update/accessory known to man, (item number 1509463908)
I'd had my reservations about the synth, main one was that it was maybe 30 miles away from the location in Ayr where I was scammed for 1170 quid! Now currently the same advert has appeared on Gumtree for 1500 quid,same pictures and spiel! I've called this guys bluff 3 times in the past - always refusing for personal viewing/pick up. I'd say he does'nt work alone (or he creates fake I.D.s )- even if the police arrive at the address, guaranteed they'll be met by someone else - who denies all knowledge of the seller!Using fake names/addresses online is a superb way of masking your tracks!

KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
      #1021772 - 01/12/12 05:02 PM
man that sucks donkey balls big time, really sorry to hear about that mate.. i have only had 2 bad episodes with ebay but for nowhere near that kind of money, hope you can sort it out somehow, it a long shot consider getting in touch with the tv program watchdog, or try and get some legal advice from a solicitor. best of luck mate

OneWorld

#1021785 - 01/12/12 07:33 PM
Gumtree is one to watch as well. It is absolutely festooned with knock-offs. I have been ripped off twice now, fortunately for only a small amount but enough to make me angry. IN one case I bought an external hard-drive, supposed to be 1TB, got it home and it was only 40gig!!!! I called his mobile immediately - no such number, and now I know why he wanted to meet me outside the house, saying his partner didn't like him smoking in the house so he waited outside for me to turn up at arranged time.

But, I did a bit of detective work and it turned out the item was stolen as the sh*thouse that sold it to me had not wiped the drive before selling it to me and I found the original owner, we did a bit of moochying around Facebook and found the tealeaf!!!!!

So the original owner of the drive got it back and the cops got their man - he was apparently wanted for other issues that brought him to the attention of the police. And the original owner gave me the money I paid for the drive, as there was some very sensitive data on the drive, but there was also his home and mobile number, and when he got a call from me, he was delighted to get the drive back.

I then went on Gumtree to scrutinize other adverts. eg '42" LCD TV, Good Condition, some scratches on case, no remote, no stand, no manual, no box" That to me is an anagram for "Ripped of someone's wall and nicked"

OneWorld

#1021786 - 01/12/12 07:37 PM
Quote feline1:

Quote jonnie:

I notified my local police office,but even they questioned the massive delay time! just told me to deal with paypal, and when paypal "award" considerably less than what you lost - what the hell do you do then?! complete minefield!

If the police refuse to investigate a crime, then you lodge a complaint through their complaints process, and keep escalating it until you get the result you want.

I agree 100% I have even known a regional police commander call someone up at home after the injured party expressed by letter his dis-appointment with the police's ambivalance regarding the crime, which was even solved for them, all they had to do was pick the miscreant up!

jonnie

Re: music instrument scams on ebay new [Re: KuRu]
      #1021787 - 01/12/12 07:43 PM
Aptly put!
Thing is; this guys still current, still scamming merrily away - and if you read the terms and conditions on ebays refund cover policy, it seems to read "The secure way to pay" certainly they'll take your money OK - unfortunately they state you'll get your money back on "most items"?!
So I guess my fancy, expensive carbon bike falls into that mysterious category!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5615

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media