Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
TheFuzz

Loc: Cambridge and Monmouth
Getting that Cinematic sound
      #1020266 - 25/11/12 05:51 PM
Hi guys,
I haven't really tried anything like this before so perhaps you can help me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smqucjnlvgc

This is a track that i want to cover or at least make something in the same style, the only problem is cathing that sound that i can on;y describe as being Cinematic.
One of the things that i really want to capture is the depth of that guitar, its confusing me a little... Its bassy but not to bassy and its still capturing the clarity well.

can any one help enlighten me on how they got it sounding like that?

Cheers, Connor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Phil O

Loc: Scotland
Re: Getting that Cinematic sound new [Re: TheFuzz]
      #1020271 - 25/11/12 06:30 PM
That's probably dropped tuning of some sort and, maybe even a Baritone guitar. Beyond that, use of multiple 'layered' takes, tight timing with the bass and copious amounts of compression should all combine to give the punchy sound you require.

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1020287 - 25/11/12 10:22 PM
Sounds like dropped tuning. Very tight compression and multitracked parts too.

Tbh that's nowhere near a cinematic mix, if that's indeed what you mean. Nowhere near clear enough in the bass and cluttered in the mids. It's too bombastic.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

TheFuzz

Re: Getting that Cinematic sound new [Re: oggyb]
      #1020289 - 25/11/12 10:51 PM
Hi i do realise this is a drop tuning, but the sound im trying to achieve is the punch that the guitar brings with it, and while its not a true cinematic sound, when listened to through decent headphones you can really feel how the layers mix together to give rich and 'epic' sound.

im wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to achieve that sort of sound.
e.g. clever panning, reverb in certain places.

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1020292 - 25/11/12 11:13 PM
Use the Haas effect on your guitar tracks too. pretty standard trick I think to get that wide, cinematic guitar sound.

TheFuzz

Re: Getting that Cinematic sound new [Re: DC-Choppah]
      #1020350 - 26/11/12 11:38 AM
never heard of that?

Could you explain it a bit more please?

Nicky T

#1020871 - 26/11/12 01:21 PM
Haas effect introduces subtle phase shifts (minute delays between left and right signal) to make a sound it appear as a wider stereo image than the original material. You can achieve it with things like a stereo widener plugin or in hardware terms. On hardware the best device I ever used for this, if you are lucky enough to own/afford one/can find one is the TC1210 chorus/spatial expander. The Neve 8816 summing mixer also has a stereo width control that can achieve similar results. The other way you can do it is to split the stereo signal into 2 monos and put them out of phase to each other but beware this will affect the mono mix considerably. Hope that helps.

Billum

Loc: London
Re: Getting that Cinematic sound new [Re: Nicky T]
      #1020878 - 26/11/12 01:50 PM
Easiest way to achieve the Haas effect in a DAW is simply to pan a guitar (or any instrument - although percussion tends not to work particularly well) to the extreme left or right, and then feed it simultaneously to the opposite channel through a short delay, around 10-30mS. If you do this with two guitars, panned to opposite channels, and each feeding their opposite channel through that short delay, you can quickly achieve a super-large guitar sound, with much better mono compatibility than a phase reversal (phase reversal cancels out completely when mono'd, and also doesn't sound as good as a proper Haas delay effect).

The point of this is that below around 30mS, the brain doesn't hear the delayed signal as separate from the original signal, but gives the instrument an amazing sense of size and width.

Experiment with the levels of the delayed signal to taste - sometimes these can even be set to be technically louder than the original signal, but are still not perceived as a separate signal, with the original sound still being the only sound consciously perceived, but in a very big way!

Have lots of fun!

TheFuzz

Re: Getting that Cinematic sound new [Re: Billum]
      #1020881 - 26/11/12 02:00 PM
Ahhh great, just found a really usefull video on that.
Cheers guys, i'll have a bit of an experiment with that, it really does make a much fuller sound.

sdRissdR

#1020884 - 26/11/12 02:07 PM
Good mix between the Bass and the guitars to have this depth and low-mid end, plus big low tight kick to give the punch on the attacks !

Vantre

#1020983 - 27/11/12 12:45 AM
A few other points that don't seem to have been mentioned much so far....

Don't overly focus on the guitar sound in isolation - what makes the guitar sound so big is in large part where it sits in the overall mix. So don't try to get the "right" guitar sound and then move on to the overall mix as that'll completely change it. Work on the guitar sound in the context of the bass and kick in particular.

EQ is your friend. The bass will probably be providing quite a lot of what you'll perceive to be the chunky part of the guitar here. The biggest difficulty (imo) with this sort of sound isn't getting the right individual sounds, but it's having them not mask each other. So you'll need to carve out the sweet spots for kick, bass and guitar so they enhance each other.

To help with that, you might want to layer the kick. It can be handy to use more than one sample here to accentuate the attack of it (or layer a sample over the kit if you're using acoustic drums)

And feel free to go wild with the guitar layers - throw in several and that can help to fatten up the sound (you can play with different EQs and panning for the various layers). If you've got access to guitar amp plug-ins that you can apply to a clean signal of the guitar part, that'll give you a lot of flexibility to experiment!

I'd also guess that this track has had the cr@p compressed out of it, so that might be something else to do at the end of the mix to give it that extra "cinematic" feel. If you want to make your ears hurt

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4213

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media