Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Final Cut skews audio to the left channel -- why?
      #1020303 - 26/11/12 07:19 AM
Bit of a long shot but does anyone know why Final Cut is skewing the audio of its videos to the left channel? I've done a couple of video projects with two different friends and in both cases I sent the audio off, happy with how it sounded, and both times the finished result came back with the sound panned disproportionately to the left. Does anyone know why Final Cut might do this by default and if there's an easy way to avoid it? Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Final Cut skews audio to the left channel -- why? new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1020313 - 26/11/12 08:44 AM
So, you're sending off a sound file, someone else drops it into FCP, sends you back the finished video, and the audio is skewed...? It's impossible to know what they're messing up without knowing what their setup is / what they're doing.

mjfe2

Re: Final Cut skews audio to the left channel -- why? new [Re: BJG145]
      #1020319 - 26/11/12 09:17 AM
Yes, as I said it was a long shot! I was hoping someone says 'oh yes, that's a common side effect of FCP's audio compression algorithm, you just need to ask them to do this....' At first I thought it might be down to the way Youtube encodes audio but then I got hold of the original .mkv and realised that had the same problem too.

So it's not something you've come across? This is the first project I noticed it on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNN-jWE9e_Q (I wasn't in a position to change this once it was uploaded) But I'm doing another project now where I can get hold of the person putting the audio to the video, so it would be nice to fix it this time.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Final Cut skews audio to the left channel -- why? new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1020320 - 26/11/12 09:54 AM
From some Googling, it does sound as though some people get confused with the way FCP handles stereo, resulting in this kind of problem, though I haven't fully grasped it.

http://joelyeaton.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/fcp-7-audio-pan-b...

I'm wondering if the problem might arise in the course of adding further audio tracks for foley, dialogue, etc., and getting in a muddle with the track linking/panning. At any rate the video editor needs to keep a close eye on how the panning for the various audio tracks is set.

Perhaps you could explain that you've suffered this problem in the past, and could you check the video before they release it.

desmond

#1020338 - 26/11/12 11:03 AM
I've never had an issue with audio panning done wrong in FCP (any version), other than user error.

mjfe2

#1021098 - 27/11/12 05:27 PM
Thanks guys, I figured it out! The original audio recorded with the footage, though muted, was being 'silently' panned to the right so that the overdubbed audio, despite being stereo, was being skewed to the left. Anyway, it's all fixed now.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1507

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media