The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GlynB

Loc: Lancashire, UK.
Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: blue manga]
      #1020360 - 26/11/12 12:16 PM
Quote blue manga:

Balvanie, whilst I don't doubt you in any way (with a name like that - there's a handful of fantastic Scott based indie labels atm) .. it's quite rare for loaded music biz peeps to brag about it ..

Your open forum bragging though - has me interested.

Link to your label / publishing outfit please ?
Weblink ?

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem to post a link, as you must have to publicize your outfit anyway.

Looking forward to checking it out and checking out your artists !

Great stuff.

I suspect he's a mate of Colin-S...

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
blue manga

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure [Re: GBlack]
      #1020870 - 26/11/12 01:20 PM
Ah. I've been duped again

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: GBlack]
      #1021292 - 28/11/12 10:29 PM
I'd have to disagree. JLS gel at least. I know they're from a different stable though and at least one of them has had experience (however dubious) with stage presence...

(replying to Steve)

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Edited by ken long (28/11/12 10:29 PM)

balvenie

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: Dynamic Mike]
      #1021795 - 01/12/12 09:58 PM
Quote Dynamic Mike:

Quote balvenie:

Meanwhile, my people do not know what to do with their money and have no mortgages at all.

Classic. Brightened my day up. Many of us here feel exactly like this. The only slight difference is we already own houses. We're just waiting for your people to grow up & move out.

Are you suggesting that my people are skanks? Rich skanks maybe, but come on, not skanks.I suggest my people get 2 acres, get sheep and charge it to the company. I hope you don't hate us..who play all over the world and introduce dance music

balvenie

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: GlynB]
      #1021796 - 01/12/12 10:04 PM
Quote GlynB:

Quote blue manga:

Balvanie, whilst I don't doubt you in any way (with a name like that - there's a handful of fantastic Scott based indie labels atm) .. it's quite rare for loaded music biz peeps to brag about it ..

Your open forum bragging though - has me interested.

Link to your label / publishing outfit please ?
Weblink ?

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem to post a link, as you must have to publicize your outfit anyway.

Looking forward to checking it out and checking out your artists !

Great stuff.

Do you really think I will expose? No, because this forum needs a shake up, and if (as a girl,and I am a girl)you get annoyed by me and my notions, then that is good. This forum was too boring, too stuck in the past. My boys are dance, and I think it is worth understanding how it works now. Bob Letsetz does.

I suspect he's a mate of Colin-S...

johnny h

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: balvenie]
      #1021799 - 01/12/12 10:19 PM
Quote balvenie:

Quote Dynamic Mike:

Quote balvenie:

Meanwhile, my people do not know what to do with their money and have no mortgages at all.

Classic. Brightened my day up. Many of us here feel exactly like this. The only slight difference is we already own houses. We're just waiting for your people to grow up & move out.

Are you suggesting that my people are skanks? Rich skanks maybe, but come on, not skanks.I suggest my people get 2 acres, get sheep and charge it to the company. I hope you don't hate us..who play all over the world and introduce dance music

I hope their music sounds a lot sweeter than your paranoid internet ramblings. It is difficult to deal with people with full on personality disorders but somehow that's always been acceptable in the music industry.

balvenie

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: ken long]
      #1021802 - 01/12/12 10:32 PM
Quote ken long:

My daughter wanted to watch One Direction performing a live concert on TV the other day. They were really poor. Not believable at all. Saying nothing about their singing, the body language, lack of choreography and interaction with the crowd was appalling.

What do I tell you on this forum??? All rubbish. Look under the stone and see the real talent.

balvenie

#1021803 - 01/12/12 10:37 PM
"hope their music sounds a lot sweeter than your paranoid internet ramblings. It is difficult to deal with people with full on personality disorders but somehow that's always been acceptable in the music industry".
Yes, I understand that you have a disorder. Any more of your insults might find you in the court of human rights mate.

Edited by balvenie (01/12/12 10:38 PM)

balvenie

#1021805 - 01/12/12 10:46 PM
Audion mouth to mouth is what I work with.

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1021848 - 02/12/12 01:22 AM
balvenie has left the building, banned for being, well, balvenie. Of course, she'll blame it on us old fogies from the 70's ganging up on her, but the truth is that she has more in common with those alleged old fogies than she'd dare admit. So, for the record, she wasn't banned for her ideas. When she made the slightest effort to actually express any idea she had a lot of support. She was banned for insisting on acting like a truculent teenager.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1021880 - 02/12/12 11:48 AM
Ooooh, you're such a top bloke Andy banning her and offering a considerate explanation.

Had it been me I am sure Sos would be facing a slander/libel case....

Balveneiennueueuu was a f........

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Exalted Wombat

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: bugiolacchi]
      #1021894 - 02/12/12 12:52 PM
Quote bugiolacchi:

I remember going to the auditions of the 'Big talent show' with Jonathan Ross. Not being selected by a very large panel group, but my then best friend nearly won the competition, got second place, beaten by a ventriloquist.

Good thing too! The vent might have actually been entertaining. The world does NOT need another power ballad singer or another pop muppet.

When I was involved with a talent show, it was such a relief when a non-singing act turned up!

bugiolacchi

Loc: London
Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1021938 - 02/12/12 09:04 PM
Well "Wombat", I partially agree with you that the world probably does not need another 'vocal' talent. If anything, the various talent shows have demonstrated that possessing a potentially great voice is not such a rare gift after all!

If one can be bother to do some back of the envelope stats, like "how many people sing in tune"? 70% - "How many possess also a good timbre?" 20% of these... and so on, like in the Drake equation, one can work out that a city like London probably has a few hundred people who, if bothered or willing, could carve themselves a professional singing career (potentially!). Singing well is the norm in humans, not the opposite!

I am sorry to annoy some of you, but every year the X-factor alone showcase at least ten (not necessarily the finalists) well-above average singers. Given good songs and productions they could make passable and entertaining records.

But the question begs? Does the world need another boy band for instance? Apparently yeas, two new ones at year to feed those screaming girls!

I personally know at least another three girls singers to rival Adele. But 'who needs them?'.
One could expand on this even by saying with all the good music recorded in the past, and some undiscovered, who needs 'new acts'? I for one has never listened seriously to allegedly great past bands, from The Rolling Stones to Depeche Mode, to 10 cc, Blue Nile, etc. A life time of new old music still there (for me) to be discovered! Let alone the best of foreign countries, some excellent quality French, Spanish, and Italian pop out there for instance! And Brazilian, African, ... tons!

On a personal note, the singer I was referring to continued his career and now he is one of the most respected singer, performer, producers and songwriters out there. To find out who he is, just Google the TV programme edition. And the puppet guy?

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1021941 - 02/12/12 10:34 PM
Quote bugiolacchi:

And the puppet guy?

Paul Zerdin? Seems to have done OK. Couldn't find the runner-up.

bugiolacchi

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: BJG145]
      #1021942 - 02/12/12 10:54 PM
HERE...

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

GlynB

#1022000 - 03/12/12 11:39 AM
Quote bugiolacchi:

who needs 'new acts'? I for one has never listened seriously to allegedly great past bands, from The Rolling Stones to Depeche Mode, to 10 cc, Blue Nile, etc. A life time of new old music still there (for me) to be discovered! Let alone the best of foreign countries, some excellent quality French, Spanish, and Italian pop out there for instance! And Brazilian, African, ... tons!

That is a good point. if no-one recorded anything new ever again, there would still be enough archive recordings to keep all of us entertained for several lifetimes. Just as is the case with books.

But the old stuff doesn't put bread on the table for those involved with publishing does it? Hence the need to promote 'the new'.

Also, the ball passes to a new generation... who wouldn't appreciate being told they can no longer write music, or author books, etc, simply because there's an existing archive that everyone needs to work through first

...And there's always the chance that someone will actually come up with something new, even today....move things along a bit. Though highly unlikely to come from TV talent shows like X Factor (note how I brought the thread back on topic )

--------------------

Edited by GlynB (03/12/12 11:40 AM)

bugiolacchi

Re: The X Factor as a platform for exposure new [Re: GlynB]
      #1022005 - 03/12/12 12:18 PM
Thanks Glyn... and back to topic in a sense... if we 'need' not as much new music given the vast catalogue of past work... then what is the real 'need' of new, personality-free, karaoke style singers?

Mind you, they often end up in musical theater, cruise ship, etc... making more money than I have ever made in this biz...

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

GlynB

#1022006 - 03/12/12 12:26 PM
Quote bugiolacchi:

Thanks Glyn... and back to topic in a sense... if we 'need' not as much new music given the vast catalogue of past work... then what is the real 'need' of new, personality-free, karaoke style singers?

Mind you, they often end up in musical theater, cruise ship, etc... making more money than I have ever made in this biz...

Ah, but the 'need' here is for something new to fill the screen on a Saturday night and provide high audience ratings. Don't confuse that with 'new music'.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 13150

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media