Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
Can anyone help me choose an audio interface new
      #1019667 - 21/11/12 10:16 PM
Hi guys,

I need an audio interface that uses FW or USB, so I can gig with it plugged into my laptop. Did the MOTU 24 i/o come in FW/USB flavoring then my search would be over.

I simply need 8 or more line ins and 8 or more line outs on quater inch jacks that is capable of recording on all 8 channels simultaneously and thats it.

I bloody sick of paying for stuff ill never use. I have been looking into the RME fireface 800 that I previously owned and it was superb. But I do not need any mic pre's or anything other than the line ins. I detest buying something with so many features that I will never use. Same for the MOTU 828's.

I suppose my question is does anyone know of a FW/UBS interface that offers ONLY quater jack line ins and outs.

--------------------
(Sent via my iPhone and no doubt riddled with typos as a result)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Can anyone help me choose an audio interface new [Re: Kolakube]
      #1019676 - 21/11/12 11:19 PM
At the cheaper end of the scale you're unlikely to find 'modular' interfaces where preamps are an optional extra. And if you did it wouldn't save much money. I'd get a Fireface UC, personally. Or if you have the budget, this fits your bill: http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/hardware/lio-8.html

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1019716 - 22/11/12 10:27 AM
The Motu Ultralite MK3 has the connections you need plus some pre's but a keen price.

The only one I can think of that doesn't have pre's, I think is the Allen & Heath ICE 16 that is currently filtering its way into the market place.

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=ICE16&Product Id=ICE16&SubCatId=

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1019720 - 22/11/12 10:41 AM
The thing about RME is that their drivers seem more stable than others - probably because they write them themselves rather than relying on third party chipset manufacturers to write them. I'd maybe think about a Babyface partnered with an 8 channel A/D and D/A. A Behringer ADA8000 would get you started for not much money and there are a whole host of alternative analogue to ADAT routes.

The reason that many of these things have mic inputs is that they're really cheap to add. The expensive bits like the case, connectors and power supply are already there so a mic preamp only adds a couple of quid to the build cost.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
Re: Can anyone help me choose an audio interface new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1019729 - 22/11/12 11:18 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

The Motu Ultralite MK3 has the connections you need plus some pre's but a keen price.

The only one I can think of that doesn't have pre's, I think is the Allen & Heath ICE 16 that is currently filtering its way into the market place.

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=ICE 16&ProductId=ICE16&SubCatId=

That A&H device looks like it might really fit the bill for me...

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Can anyone help me choose an audio interface new [Re: MarkOne]
      #1019747 - 22/11/12 12:28 PM
Quote MarkOne:

That A&H device looks like it might really fit the bill for me...

It does look really interesting and I really want to get a look at one when they land with us. If it has the same great build quality we've come to expect from A&H gear it could certainly end up being a seriously good quality multitrack recording interface for those wishing to capture live audio at really keen price point.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

Goddard

Re: Can anyone help me choose an audio interface new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1019760 - 22/11/12 01:10 PM
Quote James Perrett:

The reason that many of these things have mic inputs is that they're really cheap to add. The expensive bits like the case, connectors and power supply are already there so a mic preamp only adds a couple of quid to the build cost.

James.

Um, perhaps more than a coupla quid for adding a decent digitally controlled mic preamp, even in volume...

http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/pcatdtl0?ipartno=THAT1570-5171chipset

fatbenelton

Loc: Liverpool, UK
      #1019778 - 22/11/12 02:43 PM
Echo Audio Audiofire 12.........

http://echoaudio.com/products/audiofire-12

Website implies it's still in production but quite hard to get hold of in the UK - there are some about c£450-£500

--------------------
Jonny

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1019785 - 22/11/12 03:43 PM
Quote Kolakube:

I simply need 8 or more line ins and 8 or more line outs on quater inch jacks that is capable of recording on all 8 channels simultaneously and thats it.

It's funny, but Max and I had two or three goes at a certain interface maker to build exactly that to go with their audio interfaces and they just could not understand that that is all a lot of people need nowadays - especially those who wanted to build hybrid ITB/OTB systems. In the end we gave up.

Fair point about RME drivers - they are great. But even so, I'd still get something like a Saffire Pro 40. Cheaper and sounds fine.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Can anyone help me choose an audio interface new [Re: Goddard]
      #1019805 - 22/11/12 05:11 PM
Quote Goddard:

Um, perhaps more than a coupla quid for adding a decent digitally controlled mic preamp, even in volume...

http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/pcatdtl0?ipartno=THAT157...

Not sure that many audio interface manufacturers would use something like that chip. Most still use analogue gain controls in my experience.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Edited by James Perrett (22/11/12 05:11 PM)

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1019831 - 22/11/12 08:52 PM
Here's a thought. The Presonus 1818VSL appears to have similar functionality to the StudioLive series of desks and can be operated off iPads and iPhones. I very much like the StudioLive remote software. This could add an extra dimension depending on your proposed use.

I hear what you're saying about not wanting to pay for redundant features, but I guess manufacturers make what most people want to buy and I guess most people want preamps in an audio interface.

I think one of the Focusrite RED networkable units is simply line in and line out, but you're paying big time for that.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Kolakube

#1019996 - 23/11/12 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

A&H great but whats with the phono outs?>?? Turned me right of the moment I saw it but otherwise.

How many ADA8000's can you fit on an RME babyface? Anyone.

Thanks again fellas.

--------------------

mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1019998 - 23/11/12 10:20 PM
Quote Kolakube:

A&H great but whats with the phono outs?>?? Turned me right of the moment I saw it but otherwise.

I'd really recommend RME over all these other contenders you're considering. The audio quality is all much the same at this price (though RME are a cut above the rest) but the drivers and product longevity is what makes RME superior. You only need to look at the product history of all the other companies, interfaces coming and going every year or so. Also, A&H's heritage is in analogue desks not audio interfaces.

Quote Kolakube:

How many ADA8000's can you fit on an RME babyface?

One. The Babyface + cheap ADA is a good idea, and will give you 10 inputs with TotalMix FX. But personally I'd go for a Fireface UC, especially if you might want to expand to 16 in/out at a later date via ADAT. There are a couple of B-stock Firefaces on dv247 at the moment

fatbenelton

Loc: Liverpool, UK
      #1020053 - 24/11/12 01:42 PM
Did the Audiofire 12 not suit? 12 jack in and 12 jack out - firewire and no stuff you don't need.......

Andertons have got one for £469 and Thomann have them in stock too...

http://www.andertons.co.uk/firewire-interfaces/pid11761/cid710/echo-audiof ire-12-firewire-soundcard.asp

Although it was a while ago Martin quite liked it............

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/echoaudiofire.htm

--------------------
Jonny

Kolakube

#1020064 - 24/11/12 02:49 PM
Hi guys thanks. Sod it, I just bought an RME FF800.

Fatbenleton - Yeah it looked ok mate (sorry forgot to get back to you_) but for £400+, well I just got a FF800 second hand mind you for £600. I know its an extra £200 but I have had one before and know the drivers to be rock solid. It is more than I wanted to pay though.

Thanks to all who contributed. Much appreciated.

--------------------

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Loc: The King's Height
Re: Can anyone help me choose an audio interface [Re: Kolakube]
      #1021069 - 27/11/12 01:59 PM
Doesn't the A&H device send 16 tracks to your computer via f/w?
I only see phonos being useful if you wanted to connect to a desk for mixing your live recording.
I like the look of this unit. A no-nonsense multi-track for capturing live recordings.
Sometimes, many interfaces have loads of features that many folk just won't use.

--------------------
Jack of all trades, master of some.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Can anyone help me choose an audio interface new [Re: BigAl]
      #1021174 - 28/11/12 09:54 AM
BigAl - Yep, whilst I agree with Kola that it would have been nice to have a full selection of 1/4"s on it, I also think your right in your thinking in that it was designed as a stright up multitrack capture device and that outputs were an after thought meaning that if they were going to cut corners to keep the price down it's probably the most sensible place to do so.

That in itself probably rules out a few end users but I suspect the is also a section of the market that won't mind in the least.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4666

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media