Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
djrespect

PC crash! HELP!
      #1021281 - 28/11/12 09:49 PM
I am having trouble with my computer crashing from time to time!
So here's what happens: while playing music the pc freezes and plays a high pitched tone for a second. Then a black screen and the computer boots again. The problem is that there is no blue screen, so there's no minidump file generated. This happened 3 or 4 times in the last month, most of the time when just listening to some music with winamp (so eventually in idle), and once when running Cubase (iirc).

I know it's not easy to solve such a problem over the internet, so here I'll try to provide as much information as possible:

Here is my setup:
- Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Socket1366 DDR3
- Intel Core i7-950 3066MHz LGA1366
- Kingston HyperX 3x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
- Sapphire Radeon HD5450 HM 512MB
- Enermax MODU87+ 500W
- Seagate Barracuda (1x500GB, 2x1TB) (I don't know the exact model...)
- RME Fireface 400

A month ago I replaced faulty Corsair RAM with Kingston; there also was a thread here: ram recommendation
When I had the Corsair RAM I was getting blue and black screens and also errors with Memtest. Now there's just a short black screen and there are no errors found when running Memtest.

I also used OCCT to see if the temperatures are safe; no problems (I can post the graphs if you like).

So please, if you have any idea what could be causing this or a hint what else I should check or which tests I could run, I would really appreciate it!!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/andow7000

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
djrespect

Re: PC crash! HELP! new [Re: djrespect]
      #1021691 - 01/12/12 09:02 AM
nobody has an idea?

--------------------

ossuss

#1021807 - 01/12/12 10:52 PM
I'm no expert, but last time I was having strange pc problems it turned out to be the PSU. Not heard of Enemax so can't comment; isn't 500W quite low though?

il Padrino

#1021826 - 01/12/12 11:34 PM
I'd suggest that the Enermax 500W is actually fine for the components you've stated, but that isn't to say that the PSU in itself isn't guilt free. The problem you mention to me sounds like a power failure (as there are no BSODs). Perhaps by either the PSU, or an issue with the hard drive running the OS. Maybe even both?

Have you checked the hard drives (but especially the OS one) for errors/health etc.?

Re. the PSU. Can you obtain another to switch over and try, just to rule out the PSU as a problem?

Minimoog2004

Loc: Berkshire, UK
      #1021860 - 02/12/12 10:17 AM
Hi DjRespect,

I seem to remember Martin Walker mentioning 'WhoCrashed' my pc in one of his PC Notes columns.

I think this is the web address and they seem to offer a free download trial facility: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Might be worth a try.

djrespect

Re: PC crash! HELP! new [Re: ossuss]
      #1021971 - 03/12/12 09:59 AM
Thank you very much for your replies!!

Quote ossuss:

I'm no expert, but last time I was having strange pc problems it turned out to be the PSU. Not heard of Enemax so can't comment; isn't 500W quite low though?

I have been using the calculator on the Enermax site, so I guess 500W will be sufficient.

Quote il Padrino:

I'd suggest that the Enermax 500W is actually fine for the components you've stated, but that isn't to say that the PSU in itself isn't guilt free. The problem you mention to me sounds like a power failure (as there are no BSODs). Perhaps by either the PSU, or an issue with the hard drive running the OS. Maybe even both?

Have you checked the hard drives (but especially the OS one) for errors/health etc.?

Re. the PSU. Can you obtain another to switch over and try, just to rule out the PSU as a problem?

Unfortionately I don't have any other psu to try... isn't there any other possibility to check if the psu is working as it should?
Can you recommend a software for checking the hard drives for errors?

Quote Minimoog2004:

Hi DjRespect,

I seem to remember Martin Walker mentioning 'WhoCrashed' my pc in one of his PC Notes columns.

I think this is the web address and they seem to offer a free download trial facility: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Might be worth a try.

I'll check that out, thanks?

--------------------

il Padrino

#1022145 - 03/12/12 09:45 PM
I'm not aware of any other way of checking PSU other than via trying another in its place. That seems basic, but it's the only way I've managed in the past. I'm sure Peter and co. may advise on that if they know.

As regards checking the hard drives, the easiest way (without 3rd party tools) would be to check the drive for errors via the Windows internal checking system, chkdsk. Navigate to My Computer, right click your C Drive, and choose Properties. In the tabs that come up, choose Tools, and then Error Checking/Check Now...If you just click the top option of System errors, your PC should tell you that if cannot check the disk whilst in operation, but it will schedule a check on reboot. You can also check the desk via the Windows installation disc in the command prompt (repair computer option), or via the Windows Recovery console if installed.

If you have a google search on what I've mentioned, it'd be easier

Alternatively, you could try: http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Goddard

#1022161 - 03/12/12 10:43 PM
Maybe a RAM compatibility problem, even though the RAM tests ok? X58 is finicky about RAM, especially higher density sticks. Does your mobo actually support 4GB/1600 RAM sticks?

But then, judging from the feedback for your mobo on newegg, seems a lot of people have had various problems so maybe it's just not a very stable board. It happens.

The high pitched sound you hear before the pc reboots is a bit puzzling though. Possibly the onboard Firewire controller gone dodgy?

Sorry, no actual experience with your particular mobo, just throwing out some ideas.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1022279 - 04/12/12 12:34 PM
Who crashed won't work as the is no BSOD being logged. The Enermax model is great quality and should give more than enough juice... that said it does sound like a PSU problem for a number of reasons.

I'd certainly also advice you obtaining a PSU from somewhere and trying it out.
How old is the PSU anyhow? They have a 5yr warranty on those if you work out the is an issue with it.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

djrespect

#1022878 - 06/12/12 11:30 PM
Thanks again!

Ok, I checked my hard drives for errors with the windows application, but none were found...
So I guess this leaves my with the psu as possible cause of error; the problem is that I don't know where I could get another psu for checking

Another thing that puzzles me is the fact that 90% of the crashes happened when only winamp was running. Could this just be coincidence?

--------------------

KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
      #1022883 - 06/12/12 11:57 PM
maybe try something like this

djrespect

#1022885 - 07/12/12 12:24 AM
Quote KuRu:

maybe try something like this

Nice little tool! But I doubt that it will give different results than the ones I already got with using OCCT...

--------------------

CaptainChoptastic

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
      #1023882 - 12/12/12 01:27 PM
Hi,

Strangely enough, I've been experiencing a fault somewhat like this with my system (Core 2 Duo, EVGA nForce 680 Mobo). PC will run for a while quite normally then suddenly stop - no BSOD, warning or anything. On reboot it might work OK for a while, or it might fail shortly after reaching the desktop, or even during POST.

I initially though it might be a PSU issue too, and was fortunate enough to have an old one kicking around to swap over, but with no change.

I realise I'm tempting fate here, but yesterday I reflashed the mobo's BIOS, and it's been working fine since then: a day and a half is hardly resounding proof that I've fixed the issue, but I had my PC running for something like 12 hours yesterday without issue, and it booted first time this AM. That's far better than it's been the last week or two.

Check the support pages on GigaByte's website and download the latest BIOS and flash utility. You'll probably need to write them to a CD-R, then boot your PC from that CD (of course, it might be possible to boot from a USB drive on your mobo).

It might work for you, it might not, but it's a cheaper and easier option than trying to source and plugin a second PSU.

Si

djrespect

Re: PC crash! HELP! new [Re: CaptainChoptastic]
      #1024196 - 13/12/12 10:25 PM
Quote CaptainChoptastic:

Hi,

Strangely enough, I've been experiencing a fault somewhat like this with my system (Core 2 Duo, EVGA nForce 680 Mobo). PC will run for a while quite normally then suddenly stop - no BSOD, warning or anything. On reboot it might work OK for a while, or it might fail shortly after reaching the desktop, or even during POST.

I initially though it might be a PSU issue too, and was fortunate enough to have an old one kicking around to swap over, but with no change.

I realise I'm tempting fate here, but yesterday I reflashed the mobo's BIOS, and it's been working fine since then: a day and a half is hardly resounding proof that I've fixed the issue, but I had my PC running for something like 12 hours yesterday without issue, and it booted first time this AM. That's far better than it's been the last week or two.

Check the support pages on GigaByte's website and download the latest BIOS and flash utility. You'll probably need to write them to a CD-R, then boot your PC from that CD (of course, it might be possible to boot from a USB drive on your mobo).

It might work for you, it might not, but it's a cheaper and easier option than trying to source and plugin a second PSU.

Si

Thanks for your input!! Has your system crashed again since then?

Fortunately I haven't had any crash for nearly two weeks now, but who knows when the problem returns...

Your suggestion seems quite reasonable, but I'm kind of overcautios with everything that has to do with BIOS. So can anyone confirm that a BIOS update would be a good idea? (I never did that before...)

--------------------

CaptainChoptastic

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
      #1024314 - 14/12/12 02:47 PM
No problems at all since I reloaded the BIOS (I get a little nervous every time I type something like that though! ).

Just to be clear, I didn't update the BIOS to a newer version: it's an old mobo, and I'd already updated to the latest version some time back. I merely reflashed the BIOS with that version again. Assuming all is now OK with my PC, it looks like the BIOS somehow got corrupted.

I know what you mean: updating BIOS has a bit of a mythical status, a bit like making a decent risotto (am I going a bit off-piste with my analogy here?). However, once you've done either once, you wonder what all the fuss was about.

I'd say that updating your mobo BIOS is as sensible as keeping your sound card drivers up to date or applying the latest patches to your DAW app: it'll normally improve performance and stability as well as add in the occasional new feature.

However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your PC seems alright now, maybe it's not worth the (small) risk.

Si

AlterEcho

#1024655 - 17/12/12 07:28 AM
I cannot find what version of Windows you are running...have you checked your event logs?

To bad you cannot swap out components, it does make it easier. What I fear is that you have a wonky MB. Cannot be sure because you cannot do any swapping...which means it could be anything. One thing to think about is upgrading your RAM, which will allow you to verify any issues dealing with that area. DDR3 is so cheap it might be worth a shot. I recently bumped two i7 machines up to 24 gigs for cheap.
The good thing is if the MB is bad replacing a i7 is pretty cheap as well. Here in the states I purchased a factory refurb for $39 US with a year warranty.
Hopefully, the event logs will help you and good luck.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3332

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media