Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Marbury

Loc: Cheshire, UK
How do synth apps get their sound in an ipad new
      #1021396 - 29/11/12 03:51 PM
I am curious to know how an app for say a Moog can get it's specific sound quality inside the ipad. I always thought a particular synth's characteristic sound comes from the electronics inside the machine. How can Apple's computer electronics cater for all this wide range of sounds ? Just curious.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ianhubball

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: How do synth apps get their sound in an ipad new [Re: Marbury]
      #1021400 - 29/11/12 04:04 PM
Quote Marbury:

I am curious to know how an app for say a Moog can get it's specific sound quality inside the ipad. I always thought a particular synth's characteristic sound comes from the electronics inside the machine. How can Apple's computer electronics cater for all this wide range of sounds ? Just curious.

Apple's computer electronics just output the digital audio stream an app delivers to the audio driver. It doesn't make the sound.

The software models the synths characteristics through maths and digital signal processing and sends the resultant audio stream to the audio output, just like a CD player delivers an audio stream to it's audio output.

Billum

Loc: London
      #1021402 - 29/11/12 04:07 PM
The iPad (& iPhone, iPod, etc etc) already has no difficulty in reproducing the authentic sound of all these synths already, does it? We hear them on endless songs from the 60s, 70s, etc on our 'retro' playlists in iTunes (and I do mean endless....)

So in a synth emulation like the wonderful Korg or Moog examples, the sound is generated by the app instead of on a recording, so all the iPad needs to do is faithfully reproduce the digital signals generated & modified within the app, which is emulating in the digital realm what the original analogue hardware was doing. Often the original waveforms are sampled from the original hardware oscillators and used as the sound sources for the apps, with modelled filters and envelope shapers added in-line to complete the synth model.

So all the tricky warm-retro-sounding stuff is done in the digital domain within the app, carefully modelled after the behaviour of the analogue original unit, so the iPad doesn't need to have any specific audio characteristics except to faithfully convert the digital output of the app into analogue audio for us to hear, nothing added, nothing taken away...

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1021404 - 29/11/12 04:13 PM
There's a SOS article here which sheds some light on the process of modelling vintage outboard; same principles apply.

Marbury

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Re: How do synth apps get their sound in an ipad [Re: Marbury]
      #1021478 - 30/11/12 12:36 AM
Interesting. I always wondered why the. Apps are so small in memory compared to PC VST's. All we need are iPads with analogue valve converters.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ianhubball

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2317

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media