scw

Loc: Scotland
Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: scw]
      #1024793 - 18/12/12 12:15 AM
OK Just downloaded this. Quick first impressions:

- Great job by Steinberg in creating a usable version of Cubase on the Ipad
- The touch screen functionality is fantastic on the audio editor
- A good selection of virtual instrument sounds and audio loops provided
- I think this will be useful for writing/composing on the go and then transferring those sketches into Cubase 6.5

Will need to spend some time learning to use it but looks like a keeper.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1024817 - 18/12/12 08:30 AM
Cubasis; that's a blast from the past - I'm surprised at the choice of name. Looks neat.

Wimek

Loc: Holland
      #1024853 - 18/12/12 11:30 AM
Very smart move from Steinberg! Now you can walk the same creative route as with Garageband --> Logic om the Mac. However, Steinberg makes it possible to do that into Cubase on PC!

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the "Apps and Other Computers/OS " forum?

Emmet

#1024974 - 18/12/12 09:45 PM
looks good, yep, I'd use it as a sketchpad on the move for development of stuff later but seems well worth the money.

TheBev

Loc: London
      #1024986 - 18/12/12 11:24 PM
Is it me or does the guy in the video look just a tad too long at the lady?

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ios_apps/cubasis.html

--------------------
"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Wimek

Loc: Holland
Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: TheBev]
      #1025011 - 19/12/12 05:34 AM
wouldn't you?

Well, OK, maybe she indeed looks a tad too long. However, we are discussing the Steinberg ad, they could consider that a first win...

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1025015 - 19/12/12 08:19 AM
Hmmm...

Haven't we been able to work on the move and dump it back into Cubase back at the studio by using a laptop and, err... Cubase?

And hasn't this ability been around for donkey's years?

The app looks fine, but it seems like yet another solution looking for a problem - and only half of one at that. Dumping work from the app to Cubase is one thing, but dumping back from Cubase to the app isn't going to work very well - unlike a full version of Cubase on a laptop.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: The Elf]
      #1025022 - 19/12/12 09:04 AM
Quote The Elf:

The app looks fine, but it seems like yet another solution looking for a problem

It's a solution looking for a load of purchasers, and I reckon it'll find them. I'm sure they'll figure out something to do with it. If someone gave you an iPad for Christmas I reckon you'd be thinking about it yourself.

Quote TheBev:

Yeah, he's a presenter looking for a date.

The Elf

Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: BJG145]
      #1025025 - 19/12/12 09:13 AM
Quote BJG145:

Quote The Elf:

The app looks fine, but it seems like yet another solution looking for a problem

It's a solution looking for a load of purchasers, and I reckon it'll find them. I'm sure they'll figure out something to do with it. If someone gave you an iPad for Christmas I reckon you'd be thinking about it yourself.

The lady elf has an iPad, but it gets little use. I doubt another one is going to arrive!

--------------------

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1025029 - 19/12/12 09:45 AM
Quote The Elf:

Dumping work from the app to Cubase is one thing, but dumping back from Cubase to the app isn't going to work very well - unlike a full version of Cubase on a laptop.

An iPad isn't noisy. Laptops are, at least when they get hot (eg when doing things like working with audio and video!). So there are different applications when it comes to recording. Not that that requires you to use Cubasis. But I could see that recording and a bit of editing on the hoof could work well if you already have an iPad. And then back to the studio (I've yet to find a laptop that can do the job there, and I'm certainly not taking my rackmount machines with various PCIe cards and peripherals out on the road!) for more serious work. I'm no fan of the iPad, but let's not get unnecessarily Luddite about all this!

Strangy

Loc: Cardiff, UK
Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1025034 - 19/12/12 10:02 AM
iPad’s quick start-up, long battery life and silence could be convenient solution for simple stereo recording situations with a nice pair of SDC mics but unfortunately Cubasis for iPad is 16-bit recording only which puts me off slightly. I *think* this limit is from Steinberg since other iPad DAWs appear to at least advertise 24-bit recording.

Marbury

Loc: Cheshire, UK
      #1025042 - 19/12/12 10:34 AM
Dang ! And I only recently purchased Nanostudio for my ideas. This looks better as I have Cubase SX3 on my PC. This is the trouble with buying apps. More and more stuff comes out, some better solutions than previous purchases rendering them unused and money wasted not to mention your ipad's limited and un-expandable drive space being filled. Still, I might still get this. With Audiobus, Loopy and Cubase it's pretty much covered everything. Why does music have to be 24 bit ? We have enjoyed great sound quality from cds for years and years

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ianhubball

The Elf

Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1025043 - 19/12/12 10:35 AM
Quote Mixedup:

An iPad isn't noisy. Laptops are, at least when they get hot (eg when doing things like working with audio and video!). So there are different applications when it comes to recording.

That's a fair point, but I must say that my cheap laptop is pretty much silent. Noise has never been an issue.

Quote Mixedup:

But I could see that recording and a bit of editing on the hoof could work well if you already have an iPad.

True. As I already mentioned, we have an iPad, but yet neither of us can find much use for it.

I'm no Luddite - if you asked my family and friends I'm the archetypal 'early adopter'! If I see a benefit I go for it. I really like the iPad - a lovely device, and a very nice interface, but I've yet to find anything I need it for.

--------------------

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1025046 - 19/12/12 10:39 AM
Seems like this isn't worth arguing over! To each their own.

I've not got an iPad and I'll not likely get one. This looks like a great program for those who do have one and wish to record away from home and then transfer onto a main machine.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

The Elf

Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: Marbury]
      #1025048 - 19/12/12 10:41 AM
Quote Marbury:

Why does music have to be 24 bit ? We have enjoyed great sound quality from cds for years and years

And many of those 16-bit CDs were tracked at 24-bit. Why do we want to move backwards?

--------------------

Strangy

#1025050 - 19/12/12 10:49 AM
Quote Marbury:

Why does music have to be 24 bit ? We have enjoyed great sound quality from cds for years and years

I guess there's nothing wrong with 16-bit as such and maybe I’m being overly fussy but 24 bit is pretty standard these days? Better SNR / dynamic range / mix headroom; other competing apps are offering 24-bit for cheaper etc… On top of that CDs have often been recorded, mixed/processed and mastered at 24-bit, for aforementioned benfits then finally dithered/truncated to 16-bit.

If iPad does indeed support 24-bit recording it also worries me slightly that Steinberg have held back such a feature. Cubasis v1.5 paid upgrade in a few months maybe!?

Marbury

#1025051 - 19/12/12 10:54 AM
Yes but can you really hear the difference from 16 to 24 bit ? If they are recorded 24 bit and dithered down to 16 isn't something lost ? I might be (and probably am) wrong though.

My reason for getting an ipad was portability, very cheap software, audio quality, new ways of working and being able to make music anywhere other than the same small room I have at home. I just think of it as another bit of recording kit to add to what I already have. I was going to get a laptop but this seemed a no brainier (for want of a better phrase)

Edited by Marbury (19/12/12 10:59 AM)

Exalted Wombat

Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: TheBev]
      #1025066 - 19/12/12 12:14 PM
Quote TheBev:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ios_apps/cubasis.html

Or not long enough. Maybe over-compensation. Does he ping your gaydar too? :-)

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1025086 - 19/12/12 02:47 PM
24-bit converters and files will give you a lower noise floor than 16-bit (assuming the same filters and analogue stages of the ADC). So you can leave more headroom than with 16-bit while still achieving the same SNR — in other words, you don't have to track 'hot' in an effort to maximise signal-to-noise ratio as you do with 16-bit. When it comes to the final mix, most mixes use nowhere near as much dynamic range as is available from a 16-bit file. So CD is capable of storing/playing back excellent-quality 16-bit recordings — assuming the DAC is up to the job. And according to test measurement experts Lindos, the current iPad performs very well indeed a a playback device (via the line out, not the inbuilt speakers, obviously!).

The real issue here is the quality of the converters used in capturing your 16-bit files in the first place. I'd be happier doing that with one of the 'serious' iPad interfaces from, for example, RME, than I would be capturing 24-bit from something with less well-designed converters (most 24-bit converters don't actually give you the full 24-bits of dynamic range anyway - nearer 20). You just need to watch those input levels, that's all. When it comes to actually mixing, you can work in 24 or 32 (or 64 if you want) bits for a session and your 16-bit audio files will not suffer — the computer will just add empty bits.

Strangy

#1025098 - 19/12/12 03:39 PM
Quote Marbury:

If they are recorded 24 bit and dithered down to 16 isn't something lost? I might be (and probably am) wrong though.

Some of the more technically competent have/can answer this better than me, but I’d think this just highlights a limitation of CDs rather than identifying a reason not to use 24bit for the recording/mixing. CD is however generally accepted to be adequate for distribution, see this thread for some interesting discussion (from those who know more than me:):
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MRT&Numb er=995538&Searchpage=1&Main=995538&Words=+flac&topic=&Search=true#Post 995538

However, there is a small market for 24 bit distribution, see this thread regarding 24 bit FLAC albums:
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1017109& ;Main=1012419

I guess another issue with Cubasis being 16-bit only is you can’t for instance load existing 24-bit Cubase projects into Cubasis for editing/arranging (say whilst on the move, away from the studio) and back out again without converting the files to 16-bit (the current handling). A look on the SB forum states supporting higher sample rates / bit depths is on the feature request list… may happen in the future then!

Marbury

#1025112 - 19/12/12 04:36 PM
Well I have used SX3 for years and have had no complaints about it not being 24 bit from clients. I don't think it is a real issue for me anyway.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (19/12/12 04:37 PM)

Emmet

#1025118 - 19/12/12 05:10 PM
i really don't think the last of 24 bit will matter for 90% of its users. Not sure why we only have 70 Halion sounds though (is there a GM bank in there?). In app purchases in the next release?

Marbury

Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: Wimek]
      #1025124 - 19/12/12 05:29 PM
Quote Wimek:

wouldn't you?

Well, OK, maybe she indeed looks a tad too long. However, we are discussing the Steinberg ad, they could consider that a first win...

I don't know you can't see her face.

--------------------

Strangy

Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: Emmet]
      #1025167 - 19/12/12 08:27 PM
Quote Emmet:

i really don't think the last of 24 bit will matter for 90% of its users.

hmmm, I still vote for versatility... for those that so choose a 24-bit recording option would be nice, for those who prefer 16-bit a simple menu to toggle would equally do the trick:)

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #1025542 - 22/12/12 09:40 AM
Steinberg bring out what looks like an amazing bit of kit for the iPad, and existing Cubase users grumble that the iPad is useless because it isnt a laptop or that the recording isn't 24-bit. But nobody mentions that it costs £35 compared to GarageBand (£3) There goes 99% of Steinberg's potential market, and those 99% will never be upgrading to full blown Cubase on Mac or PC because they will be going to Logic instead. Yammerstein had better hope Justin Frankel doesn't get into the App game.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

The Elf

Re: Cubase on the Ipad new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1025544 - 22/12/12 09:47 AM
Quote Richard Graham:

Steinberg bring out what looks like an amazing bit of kit for the iPad

Honestly (and I'm not just trying to be argumentative), what is 'amazing' about it? What does it do that we haven't already been able to do for years?

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1025548 - 22/12/12 09:55 AM
Quote The Elf:

Quote Richard Graham:

Steinberg bring out what looks like an amazing bit of kit for the iPad

Honestly (and I'm not just trying to be argumentative), what is 'amazing' about it? What does it do that we haven't been able to do for years?

Have you ever made music using GB on an iPad? If Cubase for iPad is anything like as good, it is a totally different ball game from using a laptop. The touch screen makes a huge difference to playing the instruments, for a start. Plus, a zero-second boot time (a total of about 5 seconds from opening the Smart Cover to starting to record in GB), a much lighter weight meaning you can carry it round everywhere. Battery life, far better. Lack of PC-ish type niggles. Honestly m8 you are missing out!

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

The Elf

#1025552 - 22/12/12 10:31 AM
Quote Richard Graham:

Have you ever made music using GB on an iPad?

Yes I have - but I couldn't use it for anything serious.

Quote Richard Graham:

The touch screen makes a huge difference to playing the instruments, for a start.

I can't play anything of worth on a touch screen - maybe it's an acquired skill. But then I never did learn to play my Stylophone properly!?

Quote Richard Graham:

Plus, a zero-second boot time (a total of about 5 seconds from opening the Smart Cover to starting to record in GB)

Heck, I'm, not in that much of a rush(!), but from opening the screen and tapping the spacebar my laptop is up and running in about 10 seconds.

Quote Richard Graham:

a much lighter weight meaning you can carry it round everywhere.

I carry my laptop around everywhere. I've never felt I needed anything lighter or smaller. I suppose that having a proper keyboard, USB ports and unrestricted access to full-fat applications is more important to me than size/weight. I can work on a full-spec Cubase recording anywhere, at any time - with no restrictions.

Quote Richard Graham:

Battery life, far better. Lack of PC-ish type niggles.

Battery life is better, it is true. I do wish my lappy were better on that front. But it has no niggles - it just works.

Quote Richard Graham:

Honestly m8 you are missing out!

I'm not missing out. I do use my good lady elf's iPad. But I have to say that neither of us have much 'serious' use for it (in fact lady elf nicks my laptop rather than use her own iPad!). I do like reading my collection of comics on there (and Yellow Submarine is great fun!), and there are some good hidden object games. I tried some music apps, but the genuinely useful ones (tap metronome and tuner) I use on my iPhone, which is much more convenient.

I can admire the fact that they've got a Cubase-ish app to run on an iPad - as a technician I find that very impressive. But all it is a cut-down, reduced ability Cubase from years ago. Is that really so good?

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1025561 - 22/12/12 11:24 AM
Quote The Elf:

Heck, I'm, not in that much of a rush(!), but from opening the screen and tapping the spacebar my laptop is up and running in about 10 seconds.

Be fair though. That's from standby, not a cold boot isn't it!

I do find it interesting that Apple has priced GB for iPad as a toy, Steinberg have priced as an entry-level serious program. The Apple market tends to take pride in paying more for something "better".

Or are there loads of extras available for GB that push the price up incrementally?

The Elf

#1025565 - 22/12/12 11:30 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote The Elf:

Be fair though! That's from standby, not a cold boot isn't it.

Yes, but why would I want to cold boot it? I close the lid - it sleeps. I open the lid - it wakes.

The iPad and iPhone do exactly the same thing. I never power off my iPhone either - it takes ages to re-start!

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1025568 - 22/12/12 11:41 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote The Elf:

Be fair though! That's from standby, not a cold boot isn't it.

I suppose that is like for like though, I hardly ever shut my iPad down fully, because it uses no battery at all when the cover is closed. I didn't know you could do the same thing with a laptop.

Still a big difference between 10 seconds from standby, and zero seconds - especially if your battery life is lousy to start with- because with the iPad you simply open it when you want to use it, and close it when you don't.

The five seconds is to be in Garageband, ready to go.

As for not being able to use GB for anything "serious", and comparing it to a Stylophone, well it's true I'm not a pro, and Elf is, but come on! I've done loads of stuff with my iPad. And now I can work on it in Logic as well.

http://soundcloud.com/bill-fraud/trent-house-2/s-lcxKs

--------------------

The Elf

#1025572 - 22/12/12 12:17 PM
There's one thing I really do love on the iPad - Sound on Sound!

Simple things, like the before/after mix examples in Mix Rescue - usually I can't be bothered to follow it up after reading the mag, but now there it is right on the page! Being able to zoom on screen-shots and the like - brilliant! How long before we can try out an app right there on the page I wonder?...

But I can't rely on the good lady elf's iPad being around, so I'll stick with paper copy for the moment.

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1025581 - 22/12/12 01:01 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote The Elf:

Be fair though. That's from standby, not a cold boot isn't it!

I do find it interesting that Apple has priced GB for iPad as a toy, Steinberg have priced as an entry-level serious program. The Apple market tends to take pride in paying more for something "better".

Or are there loads of extras available for GB that push the price up incrementally?

No extras are really needed for GB on the iPad. Just as well as none are available! Though I would like some proper brass and woodwind sounds I guess!

I think if you have never tried GB on iPad you would be very surprised at what you can do with it. For years I have used NI Guitar Rig, Reaper, Kontakt, B4, etc... Full fat products that cost me an arm and a leg on the PC (well, apart from Reaper).

GB on the iPad gets me 90% of the functionality of what i used this lot for, and is about 10000% more accessible.

I have just bought into the whole Mac thing as a direct result of GB, because I can now get Reaper-like functionality in Logic Express 9... 20 quid off eBay - and import all my songs off the iPad.

GB is worth more than 3 quid just for the tonewheel organ... complete with pull out drawbars and rotary speaker speed switch!

It is honestly silly money for a very capable product.

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1025588 - 22/12/12 01:20 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

I have just bought into the whole Mac thing as a direct result of GB, because I can now get Reaper-like functionality in Logic Express 9... 20 quid off eBay - and import all my songs off the iPad.

Ah. Result for Apple then! :-)
I still can't shake off the feeling that with Apple I'm playing inside a walled garden. A beautifully laid-out garden, with many pretty flowers. But it's a high wall.

Richard Graham

#1025608 - 22/12/12 06:27 PM
Yeah. The walled garden thing. In principle I'd agree with you. I've always been PC and Android until I got the iPad. The thing is, Android can't come close to the ipad for music making apps. I mean, it is so far behind you might as well write it off completely. And all I really care about now is the fact that I can make music really easily on the iPad and then work on it on the Mac. I don't care that it is "limited" in whatever way. My gear and skills have always been limited in any case.

--------------------

Marbury

#1025919 - 26/12/12 07:59 PM
I find the more apps like Animoog, Moog filteron, Audiobus,Loopy,Sunrizer synth, Samplr, Borderlands that come out to seriously create new ways to manipulate audio, the more creativity is sparked that wouldn't be possible in a PC using VST's. I find it gives you immediate, fresh new ways of working and very handy to just fire up anywhere like out walking in the hills for example.

To me it is a serious music making tool no question. Basically it doesn't really matter what you use, it's the musician's imagination that is behind it. How much of the music in he 80s was made using a Fairlight which by today's standards is very rudimentary?

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1025932 - 26/12/12 09:26 PM
Quote Marbury:

How much of the music in he 80s was made using a Fairlight which by today's standards is very rudimentary?

Well, I never got my hands on one! Did you? :-)

Marbury

#1025933 - 26/12/12 09:45 PM
I used to look at pictures and dream. Still wouldn't say no if they were selling them very cheap just for nostalgia's sake. I know they have remade them now but still 20k which is a bit ridiculous.

--------------------

Emmet

#1032391 - 06/02/13 01:56 PM
1.1 out, now with Audiobus. Better importing of loops via Dropbox (it does it but its a faff) and I'll be even happier

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/02/01/cubasis-update-adds-audiobus-support/

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 16608

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media