Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume??
      #1024968 - 18/12/12 08:39 PM
In these days of infinite everything and technology one thing really urks me.

I listen to MP3's on a PC or Apple or PS3 or anything and there all different levels. The louder ones are twice as loud as the quiet ones.

Back in the days of tape and vinyl you set your own recording level on the tape deck. So if you recorded 3 different pieces of vinyl to one tape you could get the levels similar and listening on a tape deck was way more consistent that ripping CDs to MP3 that basically all have different levels of volume.

Has anyone ever made a piece of software that turns up and down the volume level of tracks so they all match? Surely this cant be that hard? And surely I am not the only guy on earth that finds this annoying.

(Please note - I do not mean I want a compressor or limiter, something that achieves the above at the expense of zapping the dynamic range.)

--------------------
(Sent via my iPhone and no doubt riddled with typos as a result)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chevytraveller

Loc: London
Re: Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume?? new [Re: Kolakube]
      #1024970 - 18/12/12 09:36 PM
What you are almost certainly hearing is the 'perceived' loudness which is something we now have to contend with thanks to the loudness wars..
The louder MP3s are almost certainly more mordern masters which have been pumped to within an inch of their lives to sound louder (at the expense as you correctly say of their dynamic range).

This is a problem we are continuing to battle in TV land as advertising Tw*ts insist on pumping their adverts to be much louder than the programs.

Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this as as far as metering goes, they will appear to have the same peaks and most leveling algorithms work by analysing peak level.
There are a few intelligent algorithms starting to appear now from companies like Dolby and Junger to try to combat this but I have only seen them in high end(very expensive) broadcast gear

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume?? new [Re: Kolakube]
      #1024972 - 18/12/12 09:41 PM
If you're using iTunes and iOS devices, turn on the 'sound check' option which adjusts the loudness of each track to around -16dBFS.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
      #1024973 - 18/12/12 09:43 PM
Cheers for the info Chevey.

In honesty I didnt expect a solution to be out there. How I wish there was though.

If im in the bath listening to my tunes (I love this, few candles on, dark room, hot water, bliss) one MP3 is half power the next is (or sounds) twice as loud then the next is ok.

The solution of course is to use my wet hands to change the volume manually. I was hoping someone could make some code that could do that for me.

Yeah I hear ya on the adverts on TV. But its counter productive I think. I mean I certainly just mute the ads because of this. Where as before I wouldn't have. So in our house there is less noise from adds than more.

--------------------
(Sent via my iPhone and no doubt riddled with typos as a result)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1025028 - 19/12/12 09:40 AM
In Foobar you can setup replay gain and Media Monkey will normalize tracks.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Dynamic Mike

#1025069 - 19/12/12 12:31 PM
Quote Kolakube:

Yeah I hear ya on the adverts on TV. But its counter productive I think. I mean I certainly just mute the ads because of this. Where as before I wouldn't have. So in our house there is less noise from adds than more.

I was reading recently about a regulation which comse into force in 2014 to limit Tv & radio advert volume to a fixed percentage of the programme volume. I can't remember whether it was UK or US legislation though. It's the you tube adverts that irritate me most, although at least those of us monitoring through an external interface can mute them.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

Hairy Ears

Loc: UK
      #1025074 - 19/12/12 01:35 PM
I wrote a Windows program for this very purpose, although it only works on WAV files, but you can create MP3 files if you have LAME installed. It measures short sections of each file (by default five second sections) and calculates the RMS value filtered through a B weighted curve, and also the RMS of the entire file and you can select whether to amplify/attenuate based on the overall level or the level of the loudest section. It has a basic peak limiter to prevent clipping.

If you're interested it is at www.plompy.co.uk/software

Other options would be to get a player that supports ReplayGain, although your MP3 files have to be encoded with it.

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume?? new [Re: Dynamic Mike]
      #1025101 - 19/12/12 04:01 PM
The legislation you are talking about is based around the ITU-R BS.1770 'loudness standards' which are being introduced in European TV broadcasters as the EBU R-128 standard, and in America under the CALM act using the ATSC-A/85 variation of BS1770 (which came into force last week.) Most European broadcasters will be using loudness normalisation based on these standards well before the end of 2013, and the Americans are already there.

The same standards -- albeit with a slightly different target loudness level -- will be introduced across radio, probably in 2014. The standards are currently being discussed.

Apple's iTunes includes a very similar system under he name of 'soundcheck' which measures the loudness of individual song files and writes some metadata into the file header to offset the replay level to ensure consistent loudness between tracks on playback.

I would encourage everyone to familiarise themselves with loudness metering -- it will become the default standard for all audio production within the next couple of years -- and it will finally bring an end to the loudness wars. Hurrah

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume?? new [Re: Hairy Ears]
      #1025102 - 19/12/12 04:02 PM
Quote Hairy Ears:

I wrote a Windows program for this very purpose

I would suggest that it would be well worthwhile re-visiting it and adjusting as necessary to make sure it conforms with the K-weighting filter and averging window times of the BS1770 standard.

hugh

--------------------

Hairy Ears

Re: Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume?? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1025182 - 19/12/12 10:08 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote Hairy Ears:

I wrote a Windows program for this very purpose

I would suggest that it would be well worthwhile re-visiting it and adjusting as necessary to make sure it conforms with the K-weighting filter and averging window times of the BS1770 standard.

hugh

Well, I never really wrote it with that sort of thing in mind. More to prevent my ear drums from being surprised when listening on shuffle

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Santarosa

Loc: Brazil
      #1025188 - 19/12/12 11:30 PM
Hello,

there's a software I used called MP3gain. It did a good job on that regard. Simple to use as well. Just read the manual, which is also simple.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

I've just watched a video on youtube explaining how to use it.

I think it's only for Windows. But once you get them processed, that's it.

Cheers,
Chico

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume?? new [Re: Hairy Ears]
      #1025197 - 20/12/12 12:45 AM
Quote Hairy Ears:

Well, I never really wrote it with that sort of thing in mind. More to prevent my ear drums from being surprised when listening on shuffle

I realise that... But it sounds like a useful program and it's not that far away from the new standard, so updating it would probably be fairly simpler and increase its usefulness and compatibility significantly.

Just a thought.

H

--------------------

Hairy Ears

Re: Any way to keep many MP3s from various sources so they all play back at same volume?? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1025209 - 20/12/12 07:44 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote Hairy Ears:

I realise that... But it sounds like a useful program and it's not that far away from the new standard, so updating it would probably be fairly simpler and increase its usefulness and compatibility significantly.

Just a thought.

H

Well, I might consider it because it does need an update as some file headers cause it to sulk (I hadn't encountered BWAV when I first wrote it, for instance).

But right now, it will have to be a fairly low priority what with one thing and another.

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Hairy Ears

#1029121 - 17/01/13 06:12 PM
Rather annoyingly I thought I would make these adjustments to the code, so I looked on my work laptop where I had written it. I've only gone and deleted the source code! What's worse, somehow I managed to delete them from my backups too!!

So unless I can find the time to re-write it from scratch I'm afraid that Wave File Leveller shall remain bereft of K meter functionality!

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Hairy Ears

#1029636 - 21/01/13 08:31 PM
Ha! Found a mislaid memory stick!

I shall indeed now make a K-meter based version of the program, and hopefully sort out the sulking it does with files with certain less common headers.

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4193

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media