Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Focusrite Liquid Channel emulations. Hardly any difference?
      #1027245 - 06/01/13 05:18 PM
Hi

I own a Focusrite Liquid Channel which I really like as a preamp but I'm finding it hard to hear the differences between the emulations.
I decided to download clips from this site to see if there is a bigger difference between the emulations here :-

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator.aspx

I still find it as hard to hear the differences between these emulations. I'm monitoring on Neumann KH120 monitors and Beyer DT880 pro headphones.
The site has loads of other preamp example clips and I can clearly hear differences between these preamps (Audient Mico, Focusrite ISA One, GAP PRE73 DLX and WARM Audio WA12).

When I bought the Liquid Channel I was hoping to find a really decent clean preamp (which it has) and something more old school and fat sounding but I can't seem to find that within the Liquid Channel. Maybe I need to experiment with the Harmonics knob using something like the Telefunken V72 emulation??

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Focusrite Liquid Channel emulations. Hardly any difference? new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #1027251 - 06/01/13 05:39 PM
You will definitely need to crank the harmonics control to get anything more than extremely subtle differences between the LC's emulations. I like the 1073 emulation, but I only begin to hear the characteristics of a 1073 once the harmonics control approaches 12 o'clock.

Focusrite made available a number of 'hot' emulations/ These may have more character for you. I've never used them myself - if you want them, but can't find them, I can drop you a copy.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

didier.brest

Re: Focusrite Liquid Channel emulations. Hardly any difference? new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #1027839 - 09/01/13 11:00 PM
Quote dickiefunk:

I own a Focusrite Liquid Channel which I really like as a preamp but I'm finding it hard to hear the differences between the emulations.

You would find still harder hearing the difference between the copies and the originals, as available from here. One demonstration more than the differences between preamps are vanishingly small.

dickiefunk

#1028801 - 15/01/13 08:51 PM
Thanks to Elf for the tip off about the hot versions of the Liquid Channel emulations.

I've also found a link to these on the Focusrite website :-

http://uk.focusrite.com/downloads/assets/mic_pres

Will get these installed and try them out soon!!

Has anyone on here tried these?

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

danatkorg

#1046888 - 07/05/13 02:05 AM
Quote dickiefunk:

I decided to download clips from this site to see if there is a bigger difference between the emulations here :-

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator.aspx

The "Clipalator" is a very, very cool resource. However, it has its limitations.
For microphone preamps, the Clipalator does the following:
"Raw tracks, captured using an extremely neutral and fast pre, are “re-preamplified” via the Avedis Line-Z pad which converts line level to a low 150ohm microphone level, requiring +40dB of makeup gain from each pre."

The very good part of that is that variations in performance and mics - which can easily dwarf the differences between preamps - are completely removed from the equation.

In the case of the Liquid Channel, however, there's an unfortunate side effect: the analog side of the LC is an important component of each emulation or "asset," in particular because of its interaction with the microphone. As one example, the frequency response of a mic may change depending on the preamp's input impedance. This effect is lost with the technique used in the Clipalator.

I do wish to reiterate that I think the Clipalator is a *great* resource, even if it can't always show the whole picture.

dickiefunk

#1047422 - 10/05/13 08:08 AM
Ah this is interesting to hear.
I do have to admit that I find the differences between the emulations extremely subtle. I still haven't got round to installing the newer hotter driven emulations so will do this at some point. I do notice that using the harmonics knob adds a little more character but even then you have to crank this quite a lot!

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 3181

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media