Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
looking for a large second hand mixing desk new
      #1028602 - 14/01/13 08:04 PM
hi guys im looking for a large desk to record my band ive been looking at mackie SR40-8 also been looking at Allen and Heath gs3 24, soundcraft ghost 32 LE, also dare i say it a behringer mx9000

my budget is £500 absolute maximum, i want to take direct outs into my motu 24 i/o do all of the larger desks like this have there direct outs post eq on the direct outs or is that specific to certain ones? i thought it might be nice to be able to use the eq etc, anyone else got any other suggestions for desks it might be worth looking at? in this price range? many thanks

oh also just wondered has anyone heard of or got any experience with DDA CS3 32 it says its midas quality on the listing?

Edited by KuRu (14/01/13 08:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
OneWorld

Re: looking for a large second hand mixing desk new [Re: KuRu]
      #1028707 - 15/01/13 12:42 PM
Back in the day, when t2hey were first introduced I had the mx9000 and within 3 weeks of delivery 3 channels went down, I decommissioned it, sent it back for repair, waited 2 weeks for its return, put it to work again and within a few weeks, another channel went down. OK they said send it back as it was under warranty but disconnecting, transporting a massive desk is a day of a job, I got rid of it. Before that I had an mx8000 and that was no problem, also had A&B - brill that was

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
      #1028708 - 15/01/13 01:07 PM
For that kind of money, the names you should be looking at include Allen & Heath (GS-series, Saber), Soundtracs, Soundcraft (Ghosts are good, as are Series 500, 600, 1600, and some of the live models if they've got the direct outs and other features you need), DDA (designed by the same guy who made the aforementioned Soundcraft desks), possibly Tascam (never used their old ones myself)... And occasionally you can pick up a real bargain on something even more 'classic'. Stay away from an older Behringer model...

Oh, and you should *really* look at any second-hand desk you buy before you hand over money! They can be very time-consuming (and occasionally expensive) to maintain.

Cheers!

Chris

GooGoo

#1028709 - 15/01/13 01:08 PM
Good luck scoring a decent Ghost or GS3 for £500. It's possible because most will be pick up only and so the seller will be limiting the potential market for themselves.
A lot of desks with direct outs do so pre eq so the chance of using the mixer for that purpose are nil.
Check out this site for mixers with pre/post eq direct outs etc - it's not comprehensive but it's a start.

http://www.silentway.com/mixers

The other thing to factor in budget wise with all your ins and outs is cabling. Six times eight way looms of a passable quality ain't cheap.
Do it - but be aware of ALL expenses/disadvantages. Get it right though and it's a pleasure to do something without having to stare at a computer screen all the time.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1028764 - 15/01/13 05:08 PM
if possible, go for something properly modular where you can remove a single channel for servicing rather than having to open up the whole desk. And avoid anything with a horizontal board under the control surface unless you are given it for free as they're a real pain to fix - desks in this category include Mackie, Behringer, Seck and Soundcraft's spirit range.

As has been said before, don't forget the cabling - I'm right in the middle of running all the cables for my new studio and it has taken nearly as long as the physical construction process.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
Re: looking for a large second hand mixing desk [Re: KuRu]
      #1028953 - 16/01/13 05:48 PM
wow thx for all the replys fellas! defo some good info in there, will defo swerve on the mx9000

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2306

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media