Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Atmospherium

Drums for Reaper
      #1029464 - 20/01/13 05:43 PM
I'm looking fir a DAW with programmable midi drums. Does Reaper come with this facility, or if not will it accept a plug-in. Also can anyone tell me how to go about either?

Many thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Drums for Reaper new [Re: Atmospherium]
      #1029471 - 20/01/13 05:59 PM
Some DAWs come with basic sample playback engines (e.g. Cubase has Groove Agent), but any basic VST sample player will let you progam drum hits in your DAW. Shortcircuit gets some good press. I've tried it myself and find it a bit obscure, but it does work and can't be moaned about as a freebie.

One of the more sophisticated drum-centric plug-ins would be Native Instruments' Battery, but more often these days I avoid Battery and use Kontakt instead. Not budget options, but very definitely the cream of the crop IMO.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
      #1030994 - 29/01/13 11:48 AM
Reaper and most other decent DAW software will accept drum VSTi plugins.

I am a Reaper user and currently own many, many different drum "romplers" (drum sample players) which are very easy to use if you are able to use basic MIDI functions. Most come with a variety of useful MIDI loops pre-programmed that you can drop into your drum track, too.

If you have Kontakt either free or the paid version, analoguedrums.com make a range of very nice kits, which range in price from free to around $39.

I love their splitsticks and the free Big Mono.

The bigger players like Toontrack (EZDrummer and Superior Drummer), Steven Slate Drums, Big Fat Drums, etc., all have regular sales so it is sometimes worth picking up something cheap and basic & then trying all the demos & buying when the price is right.

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

David Else

Loc: Brighton UK
      #1032625 - 07/02/13 05:16 PM
I would recommend using a free VST sample player. As mentioned, the free Shortcircuit http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php is great, but even better is the new Sforzando http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

Using either of these you can load up free .SFZ kits and program the drum patterns in your DAW of choice.

At this point in time Sforzando is limited to having only 1 stereo output, but multiple outputs have been promised as an update soon. Sforzando is full x64 compatible and is fully supported, Shortcircuit is no longer supported but has many more features.

The best free (acoustic) drum kit I heard is the Big Mono http://www.analoguedrums.com/details-bm.php, there is a .SFZ mapping http://www.drealm.info/sfz/AnalogueDrums/

Hope that was of help

--------------------
David Else - Digital Audio Consultant
Learn Digital Audio Home | Learn Digital Audio Blog

BoogieBear

Loc: Anglesey UK
      #1032639 - 07/02/13 07:42 PM
EZDrummer/Superior Drummer work well inside REAPER and there's plenty of help on the forum about setting up ready-to-go templates

Cheers

--------------------
You see when I was a young kid Elvis was top of the charts - That's 'Presley' not Costello!

tim_obrien

#1032781 - 08/02/13 09:01 PM
EZDrummer is great and works well with Reaper.

If you're strapped for cash use free soundfonts of SFZ sampled drums.
You can strip the midi drums out of any midi song file (just find some in your gendre)
or there are places like www.groovemonkee.com that make good midi drum files in various styles.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Drums for Reaper new [Re: David Else]
      #1032942 - 10/02/13 09:33 PM
Quote David Else:

Hope that was of help

Well if no-one else is gong to say I will

Yes, those links you posted were very useful, so thanks.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the SOS Forums David!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 8465

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media