Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
filipga

My first Groovebox/sampler new
      #1029762 - 22/01/13 03:11 PM
I'm about to get my first groovebox, but i don't really know what to look for. I tried some at a musicstore today, but you know, i can't really tell the difference. I'm considering these three:
Korg padKONTROL
Akai MPD 32
Akai MPD 26

My budget is between 2-300 dollar. I already own a Microkorg så maybe it would be good for me to continue along the Korg road with this sampler too? Ofcourse Akai was the inventors of this so they might be the "safe" buys? And i don't really know if i need the 32 or the 26 will be good enough for me.

I'm gonna use it to learn these grooveboxes, as it is my first of it's kind, just to play and have fun and last but not least to record some stuff. I'm not that much into recording. I've been playing the piano and guitar for 8 years now, but have never really been recording my own stuff. But now i have started to record in garageband. So at the moment the recordings from the groovebox is just to be used in garageband, but sooner or later i'm gonna change to ableton, Logic etc. So the idea is that i can use the sampler for this too, atleast until i need something bigger.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: My first Groovebox/sampler new [Re: filipga]
      #1029768 - 22/01/13 03:21 PM
The three items listed are just controllers for software. If you want a sampler/groovebox look at the MPC range by Akai.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1029770 - 22/01/13 03:31 PM
...or if you wanted a budget controller that integrates with a DAW you could also look at the Maschine Mikro.

N WILLIAMS

Re: My first Groovebox/sampler [Re: filipga]
      #1029809 - 22/01/13 08:05 PM
Save a bit more money and get a Native Instruments Maschine. Pretty much everything you need really and more!

KSM

#1034370 - 20/02/13 06:22 PM
hello - i have a question regarding groove box and copyright usages. if I am making music from a groove box with programmed in box sounds and rhythms and beats and etc, and I compose a track with no or very minimal change to the patterns and sounds that it already comes with... do I have right to copyright / release / sell the resulting track? my concern is that the track we composed isn't too different sounding than something that might be easily created by anyone else turning on the same machine.

DGL.

Re: My first Groovebox/sampler new [Re: KSM]
      #1034377 - 20/02/13 06:49 PM
Check the manual. In most cases it shouldn't be a problem but the manual should tell you all you need to know.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2131

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media