Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Honey Badger

Two Cubase 7 Problems
      #1030727 - 27/01/13 09:00 PM
Aaaaaggghhh, Cubase 7 is driving me mad! I love its new features, but I have spent so much time trying to get to the bottom of a couple of "quirks" that I haven't made much music with it yet.

I have a Q9550, 8GB RAM, and I'm using W7 64bit and the Focusrite Saffire ASIO driver. The main problem is that I get glitches and dropouts with VST synths with a buffer size of less than 1024. Is this normal? It means that my input and output latencies are around the 25ms mark. As I mentioned in another post I thought this was down to a lack of RAM when I was using the 32 bit bit version but I have now installed the 64 bit version and the problem is exactly the same.

The other problem is that from time to time (I'm afraid I can't be any more specific) Cubase freezes. When it does this I can play a track by using keyboard shortcuts but if I try to do anything else or click anywhere with the mouse it doesn't respond and makes a "bing" sound. I would normally associate this behaviour with having a dialogue box open or the program waiting for a response from me but this doesn't seem to be the case. The only way round it is by quitting Cubase through Task Manager.

Can anyone shed any light on these issues please?

--------------------
Le geek, c'est chic

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
tex

Re: Two Cubase 7 Problems new [Re: Honey Badger]
      #1030755 - 28/01/13 04:53 AM
ACore2quad won't cut it with Cubase 7 due to the FSB speed. i7 systems communicate directly between the ram and CPU removing that bottleneck.

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1030768 - 28/01/13 09:23 AM
Quote Honey Badger:

Aaaaaggghhh, Cubase 7 is driving me mad! I love its new features, but I have spent so much time trying to get to the bottom of a couple of "quirks" that I haven't made much music with it yet.

I have a Q9550, 8GB RAM, and I'm using W7 64bit and the Focusrite Saffire ASIO driver. The main problem is that I get glitches and dropouts with VST synths with a buffer size of less than 1024. Is this normal? It means that my input and output latencies are around the 25ms mark. As I mentioned in another post I thought this was down to a lack of RAM when I was using the 32 bit bit version but I have now installed the 64 bit version and the problem is exactly the same.

Which Saffire is it? Did it also do this on your previous Cubase revision?

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Honey Badger

Re: Two Cubase 7 Problems new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1030815 - 28/01/13 12:08 PM
Hi Pete, it's a Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I didn't notice this problem with 6.5 and it is quite pronounced now, so am confident that it has either started or become worse with version 7.

--------------------
Le geek, c'est chic

tex

#1030871 - 28/01/13 03:47 PM
Quote Honey Badger:

Hi Pete, it's a Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I didn't notice this problem with 6.5 and it is quite pronounced now, so am confident that it has either started or become worse with version 7.

Each new version of anything chucks out more data and you have just reached the tipping point of your system. There's a lot going on with just that new mixer.
If you want to hang onto that computer I'd consider sending Cubase back under the blanket of "not fit for described use" ie: not enough forward information for the user concerning ancillary equipment needs". Cubase works perfectly on my i7 computer and it was optimised from v6 for i7 computers and Windows 7.

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1030879 - 28/01/13 04:49 PM
Have you at any point done the FW legacy driver fix?

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1030

I know it's odd that it's only happened after the update but as mentioned above the could be something extra going down the cable now that is knocking it over the edge.

Also what FW card are you using in the system or is it on board? If so what motherboard?

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Honey Badger

#1031101 - 29/01/13 11:04 PM
Thanks Pete and Tex, unfortunately the Focusrite driver fix hasn't made any diffence and a new PC isn't an option at the moment so I guess I'll have to live with it. I've just fired up Cubase 6.5 again and the problem is there with the old version too though less pronounced - I guess I just didn't notice it before for some reason.

I've currently got a DP35DP - firewire is on the board.

--------------------
Le geek, c'est chic

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1031136 - 30/01/13 09:59 AM
That's a TI chip as well from what I can remember, so the shouldn't be an issue

Have you tried running DPC latency checker to look for any spikes? Got a wifi dongle in there?

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Honey Badger

#1031240 - 30/01/13 08:13 PM
OK, so here's a thing. Fired her up just now to run the DPC Latency Checker and there is absolutely no problem any more! I can even play piano through Kontakt with a buffer size of 32! Latency ticks along nicely at under 100us and with no peaks by the way.

I can only think that the Focusrite driver suggestion did work, but that I forgot to restart the system yesterday (though I thought I did) - I installed an update of MixControl at the same time too.

So thank you Pete. No need for a new PC after all, but when I do take the plunge it'll be a Scan

--------------------
Le geek, c'est chic

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1031322 - 31/01/13 10:01 AM
Good to hear, could have been either/or of those two things but all that matters is its working now.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4333

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media