Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

SoundCloud embeds: Flash vs HTML5
      #1031184 - 30/01/13 02:02 PM
I'm putting together a little website at the moment, and want to embed SoundCloud players for a few tracks. When I've done this in the past, I used the Flash version of the embedded SoundCloud player. This is tried and tested, and very customisable, but of course doesn't work on iOS devices, isn't standards-compliant, and so on.

SoundCloud themselves seem to be encouraging everyone to move over to the new HTML5 player instead, so I thought I'd give that a go. So far I'm not very encouraged. The player is fixed (huge) height, can't be coloured, you can't hide the artist name or track title, in Firefox it randomly seems to ignore the instruction to hide artwork, and my friend who's testing the site says he can't get it to work in IE9. Haven't had a chance to test it on iOS yet, but I'm wondering whether to go back to the old version for the time being. Any thoughts? Any sneaky customising tips that I don't know about? I'm wondering if it might be time to look into the Custom Player, but my heart slightly sinks at the prospect...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scramble

Re: SoundCloud embeds: Flash vs HTML5 new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1031190 - 30/01/13 02:24 PM
I tried out HTML5 audio, including some HTML5 audio players about 6-9 months ago (not Soundcloud, though), and had a lot of trouble with them -- basically they won't work on all browsers. Unless things have rapidly improved I don't think you can rely on them for all the people who come to your site. So I went back to using a custom Flash player, with an alternate page for iOS devices which has HTML5 audio on it (not a player, I just use basic html5 commands, as far as I can remember).

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
      #1031210 - 30/01/13 04:18 PM
The html5 player I'm using in soundcloud you can change the colours and heights etc same as the flash one the only difference I've seen is the option to hide comments and play count.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1031212 - 30/01/13 04:36 PM
Is that the Custom Player, or the standard one? From what I can see, the standard one only supports re-sizing horizontally, while the Custom Player still seems to use Flash in some way.

If you have a link for the embed code you're using that'd be great.

Peter Fernandes

Loc: East Coast, USA
      #1031221 - 30/01/13 05:32 PM
Hey,

Since the HTML5 player uses only HTML, you should be able to style to your complete content it using CSS if you have any knowledge on the subject.

--------------------
http://www.pfernandes.com

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
      #1031280 - 31/01/13 12:05 AM
The width is expressed as a percentage so just choose how much of the page you want it to take up, the height is freely assignable as is the colour code. If you need more control you'd have to go for the custom player, which is based around html/css/js code but with this you can get a huge range of options. Here's a little guide:

http://developers.soundcloud.com/docs/custom-player

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1823

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media