Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Elephone

File Issues with Adobe Products
      #1031202 - 30/01/13 03:33 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with adobe products on PC (Windows7/XP).

I saved a .wav file from Adobe Audition -with markers- and tried to open it with soundforge hoping I could use the markers. The CPU went crazy! I had to force close both programs and explorer.exe.

On restart the .wav file was untouchable -I was unable to delete or move the file or even check properties -the CPU (all four) goes to 100% in each attempt. This is also true in Safe Mode!

Anyway, I did copy the whole folder containing the file onto my USB stick and open the file in Soundforge on my XP laptop (no markers), so I saved it as a new file (without metadata) and deleted the old one.

Strangely, when I checked the properties of the folder (on laptop), it had the 'Read Only' box checked, so I unchecked it, clicked 'Apply', and closed the Properties window. When I rechecked the properties, the 'Read Only' box was ticked again!

At least I was able to delete the whole folder containing the file on my Win7 desktop and replace it with the new folder.

I know it has something to do with Adobe and file associations because a similar thing happened years ago on my XP laptop. In that case it was image files associated with adobe photoshop. (I had to unassociate photoshop with all image files.) It's really unlikely to be virus related (I'm not connected to the web, I've not installed anything for years, or copied files from other computers until lastnight.

Anyway, I unfortunately copied the .wav file to my desktop where it remains. There's nothing I can do with it now. Had it been copied to a folder on my desktop, I'm sure I would have been able to delete that folder. Weird.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Elephone

Re: File Issues with Adobe Products new [Re: Elephone]
      #1031211 - 30/01/13 04:20 PM
EDIT: The 'Read Only' box on my folder was not checked afterall, it was merely highlighted with a green box (for some strange reason) by not actually ticked.

Anyway, someone with the same problem:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-p...

"The only way to delete those problem files is from DOS. You will first need to change the access right for your ACLs using the CACLS command. Once you've changed it for each of the file paths that you wanted to delete, you may delete each files *individually*. After the deletion, you'll need to restart your computer. then your pc should run normal with normal cpu usage hereafter."

I don't think I'm knowledgeable to do this without step-by-step instructions. Is there any user-friendly software that can manage this for me at bootup? Something like Revouninstall?

I'm not on my PC right now, but someone suggested I open the desktop as a window, kill explorer.exe, then try to delete the file in the window. I would have thought the window would vanish after filling explorer.exe(?)

Another solution seems to be to stop windows 7 from extracting metadata:

http://superuser.com/questions/233223/prevent-windows-explor... of .wav files.

This solution was inspired by a post regarding a similar problem to mine:

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/cant-delete-stubborn-f...

I have had slight issues with explorer.exe on my PC. Occasionally it takes ages to index(?) folder contents. The blue graphic on the file location box takes ages to reach the top and I have to press stop. Once or twice the CPU has gone crazy about that too, forcing me to restart.

Anyway, I don't need all these complex Windows permissions. I'm the only one who uses the PC. I want to be able to do anything I want with all of the files on my system. Is there any way to simplify things? What are all these login profiles for? User, Admin, etc? I only need one.

tim_obrien

#1031233 - 30/01/13 07:37 PM
I've run adobe products for 20 years (Photoshop 2.x) and never had the problem.

If it was me I'd be running some diagnostics on the drive (how old is it?) and be thinking about replacing it...

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: File Issues with Adobe Products new [Re: tim_obrien]
      #1031323 - 31/01/13 10:03 AM
Yeah, i'd also look at the harddrive. If you can work out who makes the drive (should be able to do this via device manager) you can go to the respective website and download a tool to check the structure of the drive. If the are any issues it'll flag it up for you.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Elephone

Re: File Issues with Adobe Products new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1031406 - 31/01/13 03:50 PM
*It happens on all drives, which are different brands and are all new.

*I've never had a single problem with any other software or files

*As I mentioned, I had the same sort of problem with photoshop in Windows XP and I found the reason was file associations -it cured the problem instantly.

*My current issue seems more complicated because .wav aren't associated with Adobe, but I think it has to do with the AA markers/metadata I saved with the .wav file. No other file has this problem so it's too much of a coincidence.

*Incidentally, AA is the only program that can access the file, but I am unable to save a modification, saying I do not have permission. Why would a PC with a single user ever ask for 'permission' to change or access files anyway?

*Also, I linked to others online who had the same problem specifically with .wav files who managed to delete it with DOS. So wouldn't that indicate bug in Windows or a permissions problem? I do have this problem from time to time when working with AA and other programs (when metadata is saved) where I can't save a file because it's 'protected'. However, until now, these problems were easy to resolve from explorer, or by closing/reopening the file, or something simple. I did make a LOT of markers in that file, and perhaps trying to access it with Soundforge has severely corrupted it or something.

Thanks anyway. I'll keep searching.

Elephone

#1031412 - 31/01/13 04:39 PM
Another workaround which seems to support the file association cause:

"I faced the same problem myself, and while i was lookin around in forums I found no satisfactory answers. But finally i figured out the problem myself and apparently the solution is pretty simple. In my care the problem was a corrupted file on the desktop. In your case, This file may be anywhere in the users folder. Here are the steps i followed to get rid of it:
1. First identify the file. (in my case it was a flv file)
2. Uninstall all programs associated with the file.
3. Restart and go to safe mode. Now you should be able to delete the file.
4. If the file cannot still be deleted or renamed, go to another standard user account and access the file from there and delete it.
5. There you go!"

N.B. Identifyin the file can be a headache. In my case it was right on my desktop but i didn't realis that this was the problem for more than one week. Do let me know if this works."

My CPU usage has also gone up since the .wav file has been on my desktop.

Someone else wrote: "I still do pc repair and 99% of Win7 problems are owner/permission issues. PAIN IN THE BUTT! Only problem I can find in 7, it is a disaster so far because it corrupts so often"

Surely some of you must have had this problem...?

Elephone

#1031438 - 31/01/13 06:50 PM
UPDATE: Apparently, Windows 7 thinks the currupt file is 'in use' and so you aren't able to delete it. Luckily I know which file is causing the problem so I might simply need to delete it the old fashioned way from command promt: del <drive letter>:\<file path>\<filename>

If you want to know what files explorer thinks are 'in use' you can use 'Process Explorer' published on Microsoft website http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1031472 - 31/01/13 10:13 PM
I'd point the finger at Sound Forge not handling .wav files with additional fields properly. Seems like it misinterpreted the file and caused all sorts of problems. To be honest, if you have Audition then there's no reason to use Sound Forge as Audition can do just about everything that Sound Forge does - and often does it better.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Elephone

Re: File Issues with Adobe Products new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1031635 - 01/02/13 05:08 PM
Thanks, I couldn't work out how to splice an audio file up into lots of separate files using AA markers (without turning each one into a 'range' individually, so I just thought I might be able to open them in SoundForge and do 'marker to regions' > export.

Also, I'm not all that keen on the AA windows. I don't like using more than one navigation screen (like in 80's computer games) where a larger scope is given at the top. Also, the cursor seems to go off the screen sometimes and it's difficult to place markers when the audio position is right at the edges. I did select the option about it staying in the centre, but the cursor doesn't move the centre until it goes off screen which is annoying.

Anyway, the fix worked. I deleted the 'corrupt' file from Desktop with command prompt and the bone idle CPU went down to 0-5%.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1031673 - 01/02/13 11:13 PM
I must admit that for the particular task you want to do I use a program called CDWave which is a small no-nonsense program with the sole purpose of splitting long files into sections.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1993

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media