Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
paul tha other

Loc: scotland
are there apps for android tablets
      #1031208 - 30/01/13 04:08 PM
questions in the post....lots of people are using ipads for live/studio work these days and i was wondering if the same thing exists for the android tablets.....just because they are much cheaper and not mac "toys"

--------------------
www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: are there apps for android tablets new [Re: paul tha other]
      #1031226 - 30/01/13 06:40 PM
Latency problems at the moment apparently.

Quote Matt Houghton:

The latency issues make real-time stuff like playing virtual instruments impossible right now. It's much improved, but still useless in that respect.

I guess most things that can work, like DAW remotes, have probably been implemented somewhere...

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/

...but the pickings certainly seem thin at the moment compared to iOS. It can only get better.

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #1031244 - 30/01/13 08:42 PM
Quote paul tha other:

questions in the post....lots of people are using ipads for live/studio work these days and i was wondering if the same thing exists for the android tablets.....just because they are much cheaper and not mac "toys"

Android tablets are cheaper, yes. But what makes an IPad a Mac "toy"? What does this even mean? iPad is a tablet with some fantastic music apps. Android tablets... aren't. There is no iPad vs Android tablet debate to be had, thank God.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

johnny h

#1031268 - 30/01/13 11:14 PM
Quote paul tha other:

Mac "toys" work, and Android tablets are just actual crap if you want to use music applications. Either put your Apple hate to one side or forget it.

BJG145

Re: are there apps for android tablets new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1031271 - 30/01/13 11:26 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

iPad is a tablet with some fantastic music apps. Android tablets... aren't

...yet...

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/category/ipods-portable-media-players/an droid-music-app/

With players like Google and Amazon, and a new generation of Android games consoles like Game Stick and Ouya on the way, it'll hopefully get there.

paul tha other

Re: are there apps for android tablets new [Re: BJG145]
      #1031387 - 31/01/13 02:16 PM
ok ..i dont hate mac..i use a mac pro everyday at work and i love it.oh and just to balance things i use a windows 7 computer at home and i like that too..i was just wondering what was the deal with the android tablets....
and by mac toy i meant the ipad is a bit of a toy..in comparison to a mac pro ...mac fans are a bit touchy eh???

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1031464 - 31/01/13 09:19 PM
Quote paul tha other:

ok ..i dont hate mac..i use a mac pro everyday at work and i love it.oh and just to balance things i use a windows 7 computer at home and i like that too..i was just wondering what was the deal with the android tablets....
and by mac toy i meant the ipad is a bit of a toy..in comparison to a mac pro ...mac fans are a bit touchy eh???

Except an iPad isn't a Mac, and whether it is a toy or not depends on how it is used. It's a toy if you are playing Angry Birds, but then again a Mac is a toy if you are playing games on it. If you use it to compose, it is a compositional tool, if you use it to play music on, it is an instrument. So calling the iPad a "Mac toy" just sounds like you are being dismissive.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

edpdx

#1031473 - 31/01/13 10:16 PM
Hi there,

I use an app called Caustic 2! I am currently using it on an LG Thrill 3D and it works fantastic...Check it out: http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic. It also works for tablets.

I created this song with it!

https://soundcloud.com/edgar-luzuriaga/tiny-dream

http://macjams.com/song/74945

Cheers!

Pat

Loc: London
      #1031480 - 31/01/13 10:48 PM
Hi,

Another happy caustic 2 user here. Its a little bit like reason if I had to make a comparison. Using on a nexus 7 and also on an HTC desire s. You can download the demo for free on the marketplace.

Cheers,

Pat

BJG145

#1031541 - 01/02/13 09:34 AM
I see Reactable is also available for Android. Have to have a play with that later...

http://www.reactable.com/products/mobile/

il Padrino

#1031547 - 01/02/13 09:58 AM
Quote Richard Graham:

Quote paul tha other:

Except an iPad isn't a Mac, and whether it is a toy or not depends on how it is used. It's a toy if you are playing Angry Birds, but then again a Mac is a toy if you are playing games on it. If you use it to compose, it is a compositional tool, if you use it to play music on, it is an instrument. So calling the iPad a "Mac toy" just sounds like you are being dismissive.

You've only just reinforced the OP's view that some MAC users are touchy.

Richard Graham

Re: are there apps for android tablets new [Re: il Padrino]
      #1031765 - 02/02/13 05:44 PM
Quote il Padrino:

Quote Richard Graham:

Quote paul tha other:

You've only just reinforced the OP's view that some MAC users are touchy.

I think I can live with that.

--------------------

paul tha other

#1032093 - 04/02/13 05:14 PM
any how back on subject....i was wondering if there was any things like the alesis idock thing...or even a midi interface type thing ...it all a pipe dream i fear...

also on the heated "mac toy" debate....it was a throw away comment...we will have no trouble here!!!!

--------------------

BobThomas67

#1032122 - 04/02/13 09:25 PM
Hi all,

I've been a reader of the forums on here much more than a poster to them -- as you can see! Anyway, there are a couple of apps I use quite a lot on my Android tablet and / or phone. There's an app called "Wireless Mixer" (http://trajkovski.net/wmixer/support.html) that is similar to the TouchDaw app, but just has the mixer controls on the screen. It's a bit of a faff to set up MIDI over Wireless but it works quite well when you've got it working!

The other app I like a lot is one called "ChordBot" (http://chordbot.com/) that is great for messing about with chord progressions. When I installed it, the free version was a little bit limited, so I purchased it and they've since changed it an awful lot. Whereas before you could just have limited parts and just one instrument playing in one of several styles of instrumentation (piano, picked guitar etc.) you can now have several parts playing at once...So a bass line and drums for instance. I tend to just use it in it's most basic form....Which is playing around with different chords to build the basic structure of a tune and for keeping notes (in both senses of the word I guess!) until I get home to my computer. As I said, I brought the app before they made lots of changes, so I can't say how good the free version is anymore, but I recommend giving it a go....There's always the uninstall button!

My better half has an iPad and I have Android, but I love both....They're just different tools that do slightly different jobs in a slightly different way! I prefer Android simply because I'm a bit of a geek and Android lets you customise more than Apple does!

Bob

Andy__D
posting's fun

Loc: Denver, CO
      #1039527 - 23/03/13 04:35 PM
The thing which makes Android a great OS for portability is also it's Achilles heel when it comes to performance dependent apps. The majority of Android apps are developed in Java, which is not compiled to native code by the developer, it'd compiled to bytecode, which is interpreted on the device by the Java runtime environment. This abstraction layer is what can cause performance issues on Android devices, because the app isn't talking directly to the hardware, there's a layer of interpretation in between: but it's also what allows you to run the same apps on a whole bunch of different hardware. Apple have the benefit of a very limited set of hardware; when you compile your Objective C app, you know what hardware it's going to run on, and the XCode compiler is very specifically optimized for those devices. It is possible to write native Android apps using C rather than Java; but if you're going to do that, you need to target it at a specific processor, and handle (and test) the hardware that it's going to be running on - it's a bit like the old DOS days, when you used to have drivers for each specific piece of hardware, and software needed to be configured to work with those specific pieces of hardware (remember those "setup" apps that you used to get with DOS games for configuring your soundcard and video card?). When you're writing in the Java world, you have an abstraction layer which takes care of all of this for you: and on the whole, writing native apps is a lot more hassle than software developers (who are often small companies or individuals) want to deal with, and they tend to gravitate to Apple devices, or apps which are not particularly dependent on hardware performance, for that reason. But there's nothing to say that a well specified Android device couldn't be great for music: if one of the hardware manufacturers: say Yamaha, Roland or Korg, decided to partner with someone like Samsung or HTC and produce an OEM music-specific tablet, and develop native apps that were optimized for that device, I'm sure the results could be excellent - I guess it's just not economically viable, because users want to buy apps for the tablet they already have.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1041431 - 05/04/13 12:33 AM
My current faves (for phone anyway):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stevel05.c...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.vcode.musep...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.midisheetm...

Andi

Loc: Berkshire, UK
      #1046366 - 02/05/13 10:44 PM
Implications of the Sonoma low latency driver?

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

iceman

Loc: Liverpool
      #1046380 - 03/05/13 12:09 AM
i love how its turned into a schween measuring contest apple vs android rofl, if it works for you then happy days who cares what make it is?

--------------------
as metal as your nanna`s new hip

Richard Graham

Re: are there apps for android tablets new [Re: iceman]
      #1050507 - 30/05/13 02:14 PM
Quote iceman:

i love how its turned into a schween measuring contest apple vs android rofl, if it works for you then happy days who cares what make it is?

I suppose I could've just answered "yes there are apps for Android tablets" but where's the fun in that?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 7130

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media