Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Elephone

File Permissions in Windows
      #1031407 - 31/01/13 04:15 PM
Hello. As I'm the only human to ever use my PC, I have absolutely no need for permissions restrictions on my files. I'm specifically talking about my own working files not application data.

So, is there any reason why shouldn't remove all such restrictions and gain full control using the following Microsoft fix on the drives/partitions containing only my music projects and audio files?...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-s...

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: File Permissions in Windows new [Re: Elephone]
      #1031415 - 31/01/13 04:46 PM
No reason not to do it and shouldn't be any harm having a go. As the sole admin account you should have permissions for them all already.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Elephone

#1031636 - 01/02/13 05:20 PM
Many of my files did not have 'full control' given to all users. I still don't understand why there are so many users like:

USER-JimALPC (me)

Administrator

Trusted Users

CREATOR

...and one or two others.

Now I've given permissions to 'USER-JimalPC', 'Administrator', and 'Trusted Users' to all disks and folders, when I opened a file in Soundforge, the computer asked if I want to allow Soundforge to 'make changes' to my computer.

I clicked the link to the The User Account Control where an permission options slider appeared:

'Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer'

...the lowest one turns this off but is not 'recommended'.

Do other people give permission every time a program opens?

The best thing would be if Microsoft's install program (optionally) asked new users to tick boxes next to what they needed from the PC, how many users will there be, etc.

This could also be revised if the computer is given away or more users are added.

Not that difficult.

WaveOnWave

#1032097 - 04/02/13 05:31 PM
everything you do under your own account name will give sufficient rights to files you work on.
could you be more specific on which problems you encounter.

Edited by WaveOnWave (04/02/13 05:32 PM)

Scramble

Re: File Permissions in Windows new [Re: WaveOnWave]
      #1032114 - 04/02/13 08:21 PM
I had problems with permissions in W7 initially, for some reason I couldn't access a lot of the files in ther Users section. So I installed some registry hack that someone had written called 'Take Ownership' which gave me control (even this was a faff, as it would sometimes take ages to change all the permissions in some of these folders, but it eventually solved all the problems).

Magic Matt

#1032396 - 06/02/13 02:06 PM
Quote Elephone:

...when I opened a file in Soundforge, the computer asked if I want to allow Soundforge to 'make changes' to my computer.

This is because it is set to run as Administrator. That's an ugly work-around for when software isn't written to be fully compliant with Windows. Some programes, particularly those with ropey copy-protection systems, need write-permission in their own program folder, which is only possible when run as administrator.

The added level of security is there to protect your PC. Turning it off as you are doing is just compromising the security of your system. I wouldn't have done that personally.

Elephone

Re: File Permissions in Windows new [Re: Magic Matt]
      #1033636 - 15/02/13 05:00 PM
Quote Magic Matt:

The added level of security is there to protect your PC. Turning it off as you are doing is just compromising the security of your system. I wouldn't have done that personally.

It's not connected to the internet and no one else uses my (password protected) PC at all.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 2248

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media