Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
BillB

Tracktion 4 is here!
      #1032132 - 04/02/13 10:52 PM
Hi, I expect that this should be of equal interest to Maccers

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Numb...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jeraldo

Re: Tracktion 4 is here! new [Re: BillB]
      #1034688 - 22/02/13 02:44 PM
This is interesting, and it looks to have features that are well implemented.

However, having a look at forums on the Tracktion site, and on the KVR site, it seems like the new version is barely beyond beta (if at all). Curiously, it has garnered very enthusiastic responses from people who have purchased the product and are having all sorts of problems! Confusing.

It's surprising that they've stayed with a very dated looking interface, and are stating that it's a considered choice, which is meant to emphasize that it does not emulate hardware. That seems like a stretch.

BillB

Re: Tracktion 4 is here! new [Re: Jeraldo]
      #1034697 - 22/02/13 03:39 PM
Jeraldo

Tracktion has a history of a dedicated developer and dedicated users. The 'Mackie period' has been unfortunate, but users recognise that, with control back in the developer's hands, they can expect rapid and useful responses, and constructive development of the software. As stated on the PC forum, initial work has been to bring the codebase in line with current OS's. Given the history and low upgrade costs, existing users will cut the developer a great deal of slack in these early months.

So it may not be a DAW to jump to, from better-established software, but the reaction of past users will continue to be tolerant and happy, as long as Tracktion continues to improve. And on that basis, it will attract happy new users in due course.

Bill

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
Re: Tracktion 4 is here! new [Re: BillB]
      #1034699 - 22/02/13 03:48 PM
I have to say I am probably more excited about this Software than anything else currently on offer.. there is a lot to recommend about "going with the little guy" and with Tracktion now back in Julian's capable hands it is free to be developed and driven by users rather than corporate ideologies.

To be honest, for the price (£30 upgrade for me) it's cheaper than just about any plug-in and free to try a demo version so maybe you should give it a try before being too critical of it. The interface may seem "old fashioned" but there is a great deal of wisdom in having a workflow all on one page and it's surprisingly quick and neat to work with once you don't have to flick between pages.

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1881

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media