Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
SM58 / Pre Amp - input requested new
      #1032429 - 06/02/13 05:08 PM
I am going to try out the options I have. But wanted get some input as to what to consider.

Problem, my interface (Mackie Satellite) does not have sufficient gain to work effectively with my Shure SM58. I end up virtually winding the gain all the way up.

Now I know I need a pre amp to raise the level of the gain, then to feed into the Mackie at line level. All I need is to increase the gain. I am not interested in adding colour to the sound etc….

So I am looking at low cost options to resolve this.

I have a Yamaha FX500, which I dusted of and tried and it works OK, but have not tried critically yet. The A2D and D2A are 16 bit, so assume I would potentially suffer with increased noise floor.

I also have a Tascam 424 Portastudio, which I am going to try for this. Unsure on the quality of the electronics and the likely hood of noise. But will give it a go. Its quite old !!

There are a number of low cost microphone pre amps on the market. Are these worth considering.

Thanks in advance for any help / input.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

Re: SM58 / Pre Amp - input requested new [Re: Madman_Greg]
      #1032434 - 06/02/13 05:14 PM
Quote Madman_Greg:

I am going to try out the options I have. But wanted get some input as to what to consider.

Problem, my interface (Mackie Satellite) does not have sufficient gain to work effectively with my Shure SM58. I end up virtually winding the gain all the way up.

But do you get sufficient gain when you do this? If you do and the signal is not noisy, then surely there is no problem -- the reason the preamp has the range it does is to cope with mics of varying sensitivities. Also, many budget preamps have much of their gain range bunched up in the last few degrees of travel, so it's quite normal to need to turn the knob pretty much right up with dynamic mics.

Madman_Greg

Re: SM58 / Pre Amp - input requested new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1032438 - 06/02/13 05:27 PM
Quote Sam Inglis:

Quote Madman_Greg:

But do you get sufficient gain when you do this? If you do and the signal is not noisy, then surely there is no problem -- the reason the preamp has the range it does is to cope with mics of varying sensitivities. Also, many budget preamps have much of their gain range bunched up in the last few degrees of travel, so it's quite normal to need to turn the knob pretty much right up with dynamic mics.

The mic gets microphonic if that the right term and there is little precise control at that end of the gain knob

--------------------
Madman_Greg

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1032441 - 06/02/13 05:34 PM
The mic is supposed to be microphonic! I'm not quite sure what you mean -- do you get hiss or other noise on top of the signal?

Unfortunately you are unlikely to get more precise gain control with any other budget preamp. You could perhaps use a fixed-gain inline preamp like the Cloudlifter.

Madman_Greg

Re: SM58 / Pre Amp - input requested new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1032443 - 06/02/13 05:53 PM

Thanks, reading the clloudlifter blurb it talks about cable length

Is is worth trying a shorter cable, not sure on the actual length I have, but its one I used to use on stage, so is a reasonable length.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1032448 - 06/02/13 06:29 PM
Cable length is unlikely to be an issue unless you are trying to send the mic signal a hundred yards, or something. I'm still not exactly clear on what the problem is here -- in what way do your recordings not sound good?

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1032451 - 06/02/13 07:11 PM
When you say microphonic do you mean there's a sound of interference? If there was a dodgy earth that might account for noise and a low output. Can you try another XLR cable?

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1032572 - 07/02/13 02:01 PM
Looks like you have a problem somewhere as the Mackie preamps should be perfectly capable of working with an SM58. Yes, you may have to turn the gain control 3/4 of the way up to get a sensible level but that will be the same with any cheap preamp.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1032580 - 07/02/13 02:40 PM
Quote Madman_Greg:

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with having the gain all the way up.

So what is that actual problem?

What are you trying to achieve?

What is the source and whreer have you placed the microphone relative to it?

If you are recording, what peak level are you achieving and why do you think it is inadequate?

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

SOS Technical Editor

#1032581 - 07/02/13 02:43 PM
Quote Madman_Greg:

The mic gets microphonic if that the right term

Probably not the right term -- Do you mean the mic becomes very sensitive to external mechanical vibration -- handling noise etc? Do you mean it becomes very hissy? Do you mean it picks up a lot of ambient room sound?

Quote:

and there is little precise control at that end of the gain knob

This is quite normal with the vast majority of budget and mid-price preamps, as others have said. Most of the gain appears in the last 10 of 15 degres of control rotation, so precise control will always be difficult.

H

--------------------

Madman_Greg

Re: SM58 / Pre Amp - input requested new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1032669 - 08/02/13 12:09 AM
First let me say thank you to those that replied, or read and considered replying. And let me apologies if I have wasted your time.

As I do not have a problem

Not used a lot of my gear since late 2010, due to being a bit ‘Moby Dick’ and taking a while to get to the point where I can confidently make music again.

Basically unplugging and replugging everything improved the situation, but I still need to wind the gain up a long way, but this is expected. But not all the way now !

And to reply to some of the comments

Do you mean the mic becomes very sensitive to external mechanical vibration Do you mean it becomes very hissy? No
Do you mean it picks up a lot of ambient room sound? Yes
This is quite normal with the vast majority of budget and mid-price preamps, as others have said. Most of the gain appears in the last 10 of 15 degrees of control rotation, so precise control will always be difficult. – Yes this is the case

Edited by Madman_Greg (08/02/13 12:11 AM)

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1032684 - 08/02/13 06:49 AM
A few numbers OTTOMH Greg,

If I try to record acoustic guitar with my NI KA6 I need the gain knob on the end stop using an SM57 at about a foot. For picked notes this puts the level just about perfectly at -20, -18dBFS.

If I be quiet(and my "playing" demands that!) the basic noise floor is around -75dBFS. If I replace the mic with a 150R load in an XLR plug noise is -80dBfs. Conclusion? My "system" is 5 dB or so quieter than I can ever get my room!

Re 16bits. I always run 24bits but a really good 16 bit device such as my A&H ZED10 is still way better than neg 75. I have not tried it (will if you like) but I doubt the same recording setup via the Z and a 57 would result in a worse noise floor. Also, for ac'git the pre amp gain on the mixer has to be pretty well advanced tha' knows.

Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1032703 - 08/02/13 10:07 AM
Quote Madman_Greg:

And let me apologies if I have wasted your time.

never a waste of time -- I'm sure others reading this thread will have picked up some useful pointers too...

Quote:

As I do not have a problem

Pleased to hear it!

Quote:

Do you mean it picks up a lot of ambient room sound? Yes

The SM58 is a relatively insensitive mic, and is designed to be placed very close to the source. So if it's picking up a lot of ambient room sound you are probably placing it too far from the source and thus having to use too much gain.

hugh

--------------------

Jim Lockhart

Loc: Menlo Park, California
Re: SM58 / Pre Amp - input requested [Re: Madman_Greg]
      #1032774 - 08/02/13 06:31 PM
Another thing you could try in order to reduce pickup of room ambience would be the use of a portable acoustic screen (e.g. SE Reflexion or Realtraps Portable Vocal Booth), perhaps along with hanging some duvets. See Sound on Sound October 2012 in the Q & A section.

--------------------
The Sound Physicist

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3541

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media