Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
If I'm just going to listen and maybe edit, can I run Cubase 6.5 on pretty much any old laptop or iPad/tablet?
      #1033108 - 12/02/13 01:01 AM
Hi - I'm looking at remote playback of Cubase projects to hear how they sound on different speakers.

I know that for recording audio, it's awfully important to make sure the laptop is top shelf.
But, if I were only going listen, and/or maybe do a bit of editing, or (getting greedy here) maybe using the computer keyboard to enter MIDI notes ... how would I determine minimum system specs for that?

Thanks for any advice!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase 6.5.0/SX3.1.1.944, XP SP2, 4GB RAM (1GB not accessible, but used just to balance the computer so it doesn't tip over); Delta 66 in Omni i/O Studio; Motif8; UAD-1

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: If I'm just going to listen and maybe edit, can I run Cubase 6.5 on pretty much any old laptop or iPad/tablet? new [Re: alexis]
      #1033118 - 12/02/13 09:01 AM
Seems overkill to me.

For a start you can't run Cubase 6.5 on an iPad, and don't forget you would need all of the same 3rd party plug-ins on your playback device as well as Cubase itself. This would include virtual instruments and, potentially, your entire sample library. You could freeze instruments and tracks, but then it would be easier and quicker to just render a mix.

Then you would need to port all of the Cubase data from device to device. I don't know about you, but some projects I'm working on can be over 5GB for one song.

I can't see much going for this idea. It's far simpler to render a mix on your recording/mix computer and play that on your other devices.

Networking your computers/laptops/pads can help enormously. If I wanted to listen to a vocal solo-ed on my living room hi-fi system I would simply sit in the living room with my laptop, navigate to the project folder on my studio PC from my laptop (audio output plugged into my hi-fi) and play it from there.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

alexis

Re: If I'm just going to listen and maybe edit, can I run Cubase 6.5 on pretty much any old laptop or iPad/tablet? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1033159 - 12/02/13 02:20 PM
Quote The Elf:

Seems overkill to me.

For a start you can't run Cubase 6.5 on an iPad, and don't forget you would need all of the same 3rd party plug-ins on your playback device as well as Cubase itself. This would include virtual instruments and, potentially, your entire sample library. You could freeze instruments and tracks, but then it would be easier and quicker to just render a mix.

Then you would need to port all of the Cubase data from device to device. I don't know about you, but some projects I'm working on can be over 5GB for one song.

I can't see much going for this idea. It's far simpler to render a mix on your recording/mix computer and play that on your other devices.

Networking your computers/laptops/pads can help enormously. If I wanted to listen to a vocal solo-ed on my living room hi-fi system I would simply sit in the living room with my laptop, navigate to the project folder on my studio PC from my laptop (audio output plugged into my hi-fi) and play it from there.

Enormously practical advice as always, thank you, The Elf.

Stepping away from the DAW opens up a whole new set of opportunities/challenges. For critical listening, either in-house or elsewhere, rendering sounds like the best solution.

For actually editing away from the DAW, it does sound like a nightmare porting everything over, now that you mention it. For in-house, I'm looking to see if the **Cubase iC/Pro** product will be helpful to me now. Away from home editing sounds like a tough nut to crack, for all the reasons you mention.

Thanks again!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase 6.5.0/SX3.1.1.944, XP SP2, 4GB RAM (1GB not accessible, but used just to balance the computer so it doesn't tip over); Delta 66 in Omni i/O Studio; Motif8; UAD-1

tex

Re: If I'm just going to listen and maybe edit, can I run Cubase 6.5 on pretty much any old laptop or iPad/tablet? new [Re: alexis]
      #1033161 - 12/02/13 02:32 PM
Cubase 6.5 is optimised for Windows 7 and i5/7 computers. If you know your stuff it might work without problems but seeing as you had to ask my guess would be that you don't know enough to make it work reliably. If you do run into problems I'd steer clear of the Steinberg site as you'll probably get no answers off the techs and most of the forum members are in mental hospitals by the look of their posts.
If you get it running with the odd problem this is about the best place to get a quick fix.
PC answer as I'm unfamiliar with iPads and tablets though it won't do much harm to try it.

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Exalted Wombat

#1033185 - 12/02/13 05:30 PM
Quote alexis:

Hi - I'm looking at remote playback of Cubase projects to hear how they sound on different speakers.

Is there any need for the Cubase project to be played BY Cubase? Export a wav file, carry it around on anything convenient. An iPad seems unnecessarily big and heavy, but if you have one lying around...

alexis

Re: If I'm just going to listen and maybe edit, can I run Cubase 6.5 on pretty much any old laptop or iPad/tablet? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1033205 - 12/02/13 08:08 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote alexis:

Is there any need for the Cubase project to be played BY Cubase? Export a wav file, carry it around on anything convenient. An iPad seems unnecessarily big and heavy, but if you have one lying around...

Right, that's what I may end up doing, thanks Exalted Wombat. I was hoping I might get something that would allow me to edit from the upstairs bedroom as well as just listen, but it's not looking hopeful at this time as the Cubase iC/Pro software is only officially supported for use in Windows 7 (as opposed to XP). There may be some possibility as Cubase 6.5 is not officially supported in XP either, but it runs just fine here.

Thanks again, EW!

--------------------

tex

#1033348 - 13/02/13 07:51 PM
Quote:

There may be some possibility as Cubase 6.5 is not officially supported in XP either, but it runs just fine here.

It can be run ok but if it goes wrong it's definitely Cubase and not the machine, right? (if we were on the Steinberg forum)

Try to run it in a way that when a crash occurs you're pretty sure it was one of maybe three things max if you want it fixed without buying a whole new rig.

--------------------

alexis

Re: If I'm just going to listen and maybe edit, can I run Cubase 6.5 on pretty much any old laptop or iPad/tablet? new [Re: tex]
      #1033350 - 13/02/13 07:55 PM
Quote tex:

Quote:

There may be some possibility as Cubase 6.5 is not officially supported in XP either, but it runs just fine here.

It can be run ok but if it goes wrong it's definitely Cubase and not the machine, right? (if we were on the Steinberg forum)

Try to run it in a way that when a crash occurs you're pretty sure it was one of maybe three things max if you want it fixed without buying a whole new rig.

You ARE kidding, right?

--------------------

Magic Matt

#1033351 - 13/02/13 07:57 PM
It would be a big clunky way of doing it, but you could remote connect back to the Cubase PC via VNC, if you wanted to do any editing, export the WAV into DropBox, then download it to your native device to hear the changes.

Big, clunky, massive latency, and ugly... but I've done it with video via Sony Vegas and MP4 files onto an iPad, so I see no reason Cubase couldn't be done this way as a last resort.

tex

#1033484 - 14/02/13 04:13 PM
Quote alexis:

Quote tex:

Quote:

You ARE kidding, right?

No, but tongue is a bit in cheek. But you're just listening right? Maybe a snip here and there? Not actually doing anything with that resource hungry very expensive DAW so you should be alright but personally I'd listen with something cheap and cheerful like Reaper, Steinberg Sequel or even Wavelab essentials where if you're tempted to tweak the timing or pitch or add an effect etc you're less likely to run into problems.
Trouble with Cubase is that when you do get a problem it is likely that it's very difficult to pin it down sometimes due to the sheer amount of resources it utilises. I know my stuff and in the past even I have had a smart time working out exactly which spanner to use to fix it.

--------------------

alexis

Re: If I'm just going to listen and maybe edit, can I run Cubase 6.5 on pretty much any old laptop or iPad/tablet? new [Re: tex]
      #1033514 - 14/02/13 07:20 PM
Quote tex:

Quote alexis:

Quote tex:

Quote:

You ARE kidding, right?

No, but tongue is a bit in cheek. But you're just listening right? Maybe a snip here and there? Not actually doing anything with that resource hungry very expensive DAW so you should be alright but personally I'd listen with something cheap and cheerful like Reaper, Steinberg Sequel or even Wavelab essentials where if you're tempted to tweak the timing or pitch or add an effect etc you're less likely to run into problems.
Trouble with Cubase is that when you do get a problem it is likely that it's very difficult to pin it down sometimes due to the sheer amount of resources it utilises. I know my stuff and in the past even I have had a smart time working out exactly which spanner to use to fix it.

WellTex. Thank you for reviving in an instant the massive paranoia that I used to have about mucking about with my DAW, but which apparently had faded somewhat over time.

Just kidding, maybe! I plan to try the trial for Cubase Elements or even Sequel (if it supports .cpr files and Elements doesn't fit the bill), and NOT mess with my rock stable but old XP DAW running 6.5.

In all seriousness, thanks. We have a saying over here, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean your daw ISN'T out to get you!".

--------------------

tex

#1033542 - 14/02/13 10:43 PM
A small amount of paranoia means that you can lose them if you do find them following you after all.
After all no paranoia doesn't mean they're not following you. They're just that good you can't see them following you.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2299

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media