Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Domingo Betances

Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice...
      #1033330 - 13/02/13 06:16 PM
Good afternoon everyone!!!

I've been doing some EXTENSIVE research in regards to buying some NEW gear & because it's been EXTREMELY overwhelming as far as SO MANY new products out & mixed reviews, I'm here Seeking Some PROFESSIONAL Advice!!! THANKS in advance!!!

CURRENT GEAR I OWN:

MICS: AKG C414XLS, MXL Genesis & R77, Shure SM58 Beta & SM57.
PREAMPS: True-Systems P-Solo, Focusrite Isa One & Mackie Onyx 1220.
AUDIO INTERFACES: Roland Octa-Capture & TC Electronics Konnekt 24D
COMPUTER: Self Custom Built PC (Duo Core 2 3.14ghz, 8gb Ram, Windows 7 64 bit, Three 7200rpm HD's/System, Audio & Samples)
DAW's: Cubase 6 & 7, Pro Tools 10
VST's/PLUGIN's: Too Many To Name (ALL HIGH END)
MONITORS/HEADPHONES: Yamaha HS80M's, M-Audio CX5's, Beyerdynamics DT-880's & AKG 702's
MONITOR CONTROLLER/HEADPHONE AMP: SM Audio Passive Nano Patch & Presonus HP4
POWER CONDITIONERS & CABLING: Two Furmans & ALL Mogami Cables
MIDI CONTROLLERS: M-Audio AXIOM Pro 61, Akai MPD32 & Frontier Design Aplha Track

GEAR I'M LOOKING INTO BUYING:

- Lynx Hilo AD/DA Converter/USB Interface
- Focusrite Liquid Channel Strip
- UA Solo 610 Mic Pre
- EH 12AY7 Tube Mic Pre
- Neumann TLM 102 Mic
- EV RE20 Mic
- Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator
- Equator D5 Monitors
- NEW Custom Built PC or IMAC 27" running both OSX & Windows 7 64 bit via Boot Camp

My studio space is acoustically treated: 10 - 7'x2'x3" Free Standing Bass Traps, 2 - 6'x4'x3" Floating Bass Traps & 4 LARGE Sound Blankets.

Please keep in mind that my budget is ONLY $6500.

If you'd recommend something other than what I'm considering to buy, PLEASE feel free to advise!!!

THANKS again!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: Domingo Betances]
      #1033333 - 13/02/13 06:50 PM
That's a lot of upheaval and expense to take on all at once. As a professional I wouldn't want to take on so much all at one time.

My advice would be to hold back and take it slowly. Identify where you main weak point is, address that weak point, then re-assess. Evolve slowly and check your options as you progress.

What problem(s) are you trying to solve?

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

dmills

Loc: High Wycombe, UK
Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: The Elf]
      #1033339 - 13/02/13 07:14 PM
Quote The Elf:

What problem(s) are you trying to solve?

That was the exact phrase that was running around in my head while I was reading that.

Throwing money around is fun, but I have to question the wisdom of so doing unless and until you have identified a specific issue you want to address.

If the room is up together (Cannot tell just from a list of treatment) I might be looking to add to the choices in your mic locker (Always the place to start once the room is right IMHO), or if your production is plugin heavy then maybe beef up that core 2 with a more modern box?

IHMO, AD/DA is usually not the weak link, transducers often are, so that means monitors and mics, another thought is studio furniture, a good chair or two that are comfortable and do not squeak are worth the cash (Quite a lot of cash), would better lighting maybe help the ergonomics?

Also possibly things like tall stands and such are sometimes very useful, and often missing.

Just some thoughts, it is not always the case that gear lust is the best place to throw the cash.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Domingo Betances

Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: The Elf]
      #1033340 - 13/02/13 07:20 PM
Hey Elf...

Thx for the reply & advice, much appreciated!!!

I don't necessarily have any problems, but more recently for whatever reason, I've been working with artists that vocally have some SERIOUS S & F problems & although I manage to somewhat CURE it during the EDITING & MIXING sessions, I'd MUCH prefer to tame it at the source during the recording process.

In addition, I'm going to EXPAND my clientele from just a SELECTIVE crowd & SPECIFIC genres of music, so I was wondering if I would be able to ACTUALLY step it up a bit. For instance, would I & my clientele REALLY hear a SIGNIFICANT difference, NOT SIMPLY a difference between my current audio interfaces & the LYNX HILO??? Or from my current mics & the TLM 102 or EV RE20???

Thx again!!!

Domingo Betances

Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: dmills]
      #1033342 - 13/02/13 07:31 PM
Hey Dan...

Thx as well for the response & advice!!!

Both Elf's & your statements makes A LOT of sense!!!

I must say that in addition to my reply to Elf, regarding that "more recently for whatever reason, I've been working with artists that vocally have some SERIOUS S & F problems & although I manage to somewhat CURE it during the EDITING & MIXING sessions, I'd MUCH prefer to tame it at the source during the recording process", my current computer seems to be slacking due to the HIGHER plugins & vst's that I've been using of late.

dmills

Loc: High Wycombe, UK
      #1033349 - 13/02/13 07:52 PM
Vocal sibilance is really a technique issue, but there is not much that you as a studio can do about it from that direction.
Mics and placement are really the next place to attack it, and I might be very tempted by a second hand RE20 (But then I really like the things).

Changing the interface is unlikely to be cost effective compared to changing the mic, but don't forget that kit you will only use occasionally is very cost effective to hire in as needed, so if you have a rap act in and they want a U87 with an Avalon pre, but this is a not a regular occurrence then hiring is a good option.
One nice point about second hand mics, is that unlike any other studio tech, they tend to keep their value, a used RE20 or 421 or 4093 or whatever will keep its value much better then a new computer.

Past a certain point I don't know many clients that actually care what kit I own, as long as it gets the job done in a timely and efficient manner, on which basis I would probably invest in a nice coffee machine for the control room before anything else......

The computer upgrade looks sane, but don't forget that there will be endless pain while you get the new machine up and running. You do have a robust backup system in place?

Going back to the basics, how is your headphone distribution (And available cans), and how are you sorted for things like DI, Reamp and such boxes.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Domingo Betances

Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: dmills]
      #1033366 - 13/02/13 08:58 PM
As far as headphone distribution I'll either run the signal directly from the interface headphone outputs or from my Presonus HP4. For recording purposes I have three Sony 7506 MDR's. For any guitar or bass work I'll go directly via the DI on the Isa One or P-Solo. The artists that I've worked with in regards to any bass or guitar related work have brought in there own gear or we'll go about in the box via plugins.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1033370 - 13/02/13 09:37 PM
Quote Domingo Betances:

I don't necessarily have any problems

Then don't pay for a cure! Use the money for something else. If you have a system that does the job then use it - don't replace it.

Quote Domingo Betances:

more recently for whatever reason, I've been working with artists that vocally have some SERIOUS S & F problems & although I manage to somewhat CURE it during the EDITING & MIXING sessions, I'd MUCH prefer to tame it at the source during the recording process.

Throwing gear at a problem like this is unlikely to solve the problem. You could invest in a couple of pop filters (I like the dual fabric/metal variants), but it would be better to help your vocalists understand some basic mic techniques. There are many tips and tricks for avoiding pops and sibilance, and a few SOS articles cover most of them IIRC.

As for your gear list... nothing wrong with it for what it is (nice to see the Liquid Channel on there - a particular favourite of mine), but for solving vocal plosives... nah!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1033372 - 13/02/13 10:04 PM
Simply throwing capitals at this is unlikely to get the results you need. You really need to take a step back and consider the typeface as a whole.

narcoman

#1033381 - 13/02/13 11:35 PM
Just having a look through your list...

- Lynx Hilo AD/DA Converter/USB Interface
- Focusrite Liquid Channel Strip
- UA Solo 610 Mic Pre
- EH 12AY7 Tube Mic Pre
- Neumann TLM 102 Mic
- EV RE20 Mic
- Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator
- Equator D5 Monitors
- NEW Custom Built PC or IMAC 27" running both OSX & Windows 7 64 bit via Boot Camp

Okay - the Hilo is a good converter system Real good. There are, however, other systems that are more cost effective .

Focusrite Liquid channel - yeah. They are pretty good for the money but dont be under any illusions of them giving you all those different flavoured pre's in one box... for two reasons: Pre-amps are not hugely different (they bring subtle enhancements) and the quality of the convolved parts are great but still not like using the "real deals". Get a good clean pre- by all means ( the liquid channel is a GREAT clean pre) but save a bit of money and get something more like a Grace etc.

UA Solo 610 - They're okay but you already have things that are of this kind of quality. The Focusrite for example.

EH 12 AY7 pre amp - if you dont spend good money on a valve mic pre you'r heading into the cheap seats. I'd can this idea unless you are after distortion effects.

Neumann TLM 102 - Cool. That will complement what you have already . Go for it.

EV RE20 - yup - why not. A different flavour for your current collection.

Cloudlifter - for the R77 yes? Sure.. why not. Might be very useful

Equator D5 - seems a bit of a marginal side step upgrade. Not miles better than what you have. If you're gonna do better monitors then really do better monitors. AE22 or Mythos or Focal CMS range would be a better option (my faves in this price bracket are the CMS).

New PC or IMAC - yup. Probably a good move if your current is not cutting it.

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1033390 - 14/02/13 12:51 AM
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and REALLY want to spend some...

The perfect opportunity to buy all those boring things that don't make any noise themselves, but help you get the very best out of the rest of the gear you have.

Those stands that the Elf mentioned, stereo bars, adaptors, DI boxes, restocking your spares/tools/consumables like De-Oxit, Isopropyl Alcohol, a drum of mic cable, a big bag of connectors. And stock up your mic cupboard, maybe a matched pair of SDCs with a selection of capsules.

Being professional is as much about having all those little problem solvers as it is about having the fancy gear.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Domingo Betances

#1033391 - 14/02/13 01:18 AM
Again, THANK YOU ALL for the responses & advice!!! MUCH appreciated & I'll be CONSIDERING all of your input.

Domingo Betances

Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: narcoman]
      #1033395 - 14/02/13 02:11 AM
I just checked out the MYTHOS site & the specs & design of the StudioMonitor Series was VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! Being that they're passive, what amp would you recommend???

narcoman

#1033396 - 14/02/13 02:19 AM
The ones I meant are the excellent DSP systems from RCF. not the aluminium MYthos but the Mytho from RCF

Domingo Betances

#1033397 - 14/02/13 02:52 AM
LOL!!! I just checked them out... They look similar to the Focals. I can't find a price for them though. Regarding the Focals, I saw that Sweetwater has them on SALE!!!

Domingo Betances

#1033399 - 14/02/13 03:00 AM
Quote narcoman:

Okay - the Hilo is a good converter system Real good. There are, however, other systems that are more cost effective .

Focusrite Liquid channel - yeah. They are pretty good for the money but dont be under any illusions of them giving you all those different flavoured pre's in one box... for two reasons: Pre-amps are not hugely different (they bring subtle enhancements) and the quality of the convolved parts are great but still not like using the "real deals". Get a good clean pre- by all means ( the liquid channel is a GREAT clean pre) but save a bit of money and get something more like a Grace etc.

What other systems would you recommend & will they be SIGNIFICANTLY better than my ROLAND OCTA-CAPTURE & T.C. ELECTRONICS KONNEKT 24D???

Would the GRACE be better than my TRUE-SYSTEMS P-SOLO???

johnny h

#1033437 - 14/02/13 01:02 PM
Quote Domingo Betances:

Quote narcoman:

What other systems would you recommend & will they be SIGNIFICANTLY better than my ROLAND OCTA-CAPTURE & T.C. ELECTRONICS KONNEKT 24D???

Would the GRACE be better than my TRUE-SYSTEMS P-SOLO???

Before you go on your crazy spending spree I would advice you to invest well in a good quality computer keyboard. In particular, one with fully functioning CAPS LOCK and QUESTION MARK keys.

Domingo Betances

Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: johnny h]
      #1033449 - 14/02/13 02:47 PM
LOL... It's INTENTIONALLY Done!!! & I'm NOT looking to spend money like CRAZY. It's reinvesting SOME of the amount that I earned from a project I recently finished producing.

Domingo Betances

#1033451 - 14/02/13 02:47 PM
Is anyone familiar with the NEW Avalon V5 preamp??? Is it comparable to the Avalon M5 preamp???

InactiveX

Loc: England
      #1033479 - 14/02/13 03:58 PM
Quote Domingo Betances:

LOL... It's INTENTIONALLY Done!!! & I'm NOT looking to spend money like CRAZY. It's reinvesting SOME of the amount that I earned from a project I recently finished producing.

Hey, when you're on the internet, upper case is considered to be SHOUTING!

We are not (all) deaf!

And it makes people less likely to read what you are saying.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Seeking PROFESSIONAL Advice... new [Re: InactiveX]
      #1033499 - 14/02/13 04:58 PM
Quote InactiveX:

Hey, when you're on the internet, upper case is considered to be SHOUTING!

We are not (all) deaf!

And it makes people less likely to read what you are saying.

Some OF us can't help IT. It's someTHING to do WITH dust in THE keyboard.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

johnny h

#1033501 - 14/02/13 05:06 PM
Quote Domingo Betances:

LOL... It's INTENTIONALLY Done!!!

Ahh, so you actually mean to sound that annoying. In that case you are beyond all saving.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1033534 - 14/02/13 09:44 PM
Srsly Domingo, I didn't read any of this because of the caps. I probably couldn't have been much help anyway, but, just saying.

Domingo Betances

#1033549 - 15/02/13 12:26 AM
I hear you guys & understood. Moving forward, no more caps!

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1033562 - 15/02/13 09:39 AM
I'm just wondering whether a better dynamic mic like the Shure SM7 might not be a good idea. If the OP is used to people giving it some into the mic, these have a reputation of being good mics for handling that. I suppose that's the theory behind wanting the RE20 but I've found that once people get an RE20 they find so many other uses for it!

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2907

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media