SOS Forums >> SOS Support Forum
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Forum colour scheme not working properly on some computers I use... new
      #1028364 - 13/01/13 10:37 AM
I can't remember when this started, but for some time now, I've found the forum's colour scheme isn't working right on some computers I use.

It's currently fine at my work PC (IE8 on WinXP) - when viewing a forum and the list of threads, many of the threads have a blue background, others white, it gives a nice stripey effect.

However currently at home (Firefox, Win8) all the threads in the still have the same pale white background, it's difficult to see which is which (and which have unread posts?)

Not sure what's causing this?

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Forum colour scheme not working properly on some computers I use... new [Re: feline1]
      #1028377 - 13/01/13 12:34 PM
Stating the obvious I know, but have you checked that you're logged-in to the SoS site at both computers?

I get the effect you describe when I access from a mobile device... then I remember to log-in...

Could be something else entirely of course.

feline1

Re: Forum colour scheme not working properly on some computers I use... new [Re: feline1]
      #1028601 - 14/01/13 08:01 PM
yep, I am logged in...

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

feline1

#1028675 - 15/01/13 09:40 AM
this suggests that (possibly due to me clicking on the wrong thing for that silly EU cookies warning dialog?) my browser isn't storing cookies for this forum properly?

--------------------

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1028702 - 15/01/13 12:22 PM
Hi feline1, I've been thinking about this but only use one machine so I've been unable to check myself. However, I do recall that the forum lists used to appear on this machine (XP & Firefox) with the alternated light blue and white backgrounds. But for some time now everything has appeared all white. There was also a period where unread posts at the end of a thread had the date and time stamp in bold so it was easy to pick up reading from where I left off if a thread was busy, and now that has gone.

I think both vanished when the content management package was changed and JJ tweaked the forum appearance at the same time. I'm pretty sure it's not the cookie management, but most likely that your work XP machine is still holding the old colour scheme frames in it's browser cache.

SOS is getting a new member of the web team in place at the moment, so once he's settled in he might be able to confirm this for you.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

feline1

#1028794 - 15/01/13 08:21 PM
ah - yes, that sounds plausible, as I never run "CCleaner" or similar purging tools on my work PC.

--------------------

zenguitarModerator

#1028829 - 16/01/13 12:01 AM
And if you like your 'stripes', best not either

At least you have them on one machine. And yes, the 'new' scheme looks slicker, but I miss the stripes for navigation

Andy

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

Re: Forum colour scheme not working properly on some computers I use... new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1028892 - 16/01/13 12:53 PM
If this IS a browser cache effect, it sounds as if the work machine may be suffering from the well-known problem when the IE cache size gets set to an impossibly high value. Go into Tools/Internet Options and set the Disk Space to Use for Temporary Internet Files down to 50MB.

feline1

#1033369 - 13/02/13 09:24 PM
People,
I have cleared the cache on that XP machine at work, and it still has the nice stripey forum colour scheme (that makes it easy to see which threads have new replies).

My home PC doesn't have it. Which is a dratted nuisance.

--------------------

zenguitarModerator

Re: Forum colour scheme not working properly on some computers I use... [Re: feline1]
      #1033383 - 14/02/13 12:20 AM
I've been playing around with my display settings recently. And one thing I've noticed is that those white/light blue colour bands are very sensitive to my display settings. I always used to reduce brightness and increase contrast from the default to reduce eyestrain, but recently found pictures too dark. So I increased brightness to 'normal' and found that the colour bands quickly vanished.

Andy

--------------------

Ellis SutehallAdministrator

#1039864 - 26/03/13 09:25 AM
I think I may be able to shed some light on this. I too, have experienced this problem and where I'm not entirely sure what causes the problem in every instance, I have noticed that if I run AdBlock on a page a lot of the colours are stripped out.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the only cause but it may well help me work out what is.

Feline1, is it possible that you've got some form of Ad Blocker on one of your computers? If so, I suggest deactivating it and see if the situation improves.

Hope this is of some help.

--------------------
Web Editor, Sound On Sound

feline1

#1055429 - 03/07/13 04:00 PM
Interesting: I *do* have Ad-block installed on Firefox...

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zenguitar, Martin Walker, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You can start new topics
      You can reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3206

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media