Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist?
      #1033814 - 17/02/13 05:53 PM
Just what the question says... Is there an app which can record the combined output of audio apps, so I can then load the recordings into Moog Filtatron or GarageBand?

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Natural Dissolve

Re: Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist? new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1035469 - 27/02/13 10:53 PM
Audiobus to a recording app. I think maybe that's what you want to do.

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
Re: Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist? new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1035484 - 28/02/13 04:57 AM
maybe DI your ipad into your interface and record it as an L(mono) track.. that way you can get a stereo spread when youve recorded and also yeah you can just record straight into your DAW? dont know if youve tried it but in theory it SHOULD work... most apps can export audio to soundcloud and such though, so you can always export and then download and import the downloaded file into the DAW as well..

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Richard Graham

Re: Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist? new [Re: Natural Dissolve]
      #1064729 - 02/09/13 09:39 PM
Quote Natural Dissolve:

Audiobus to a recording app. I think maybe that's what you want to do.

Thanks and sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Yes, AudioBus is the boy!

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1065377 - 07/09/13 03:15 PM
Audiobus is the boy....but with some caveats....

Not all apps are audiobus compatible...yet, although a lot are making themselves audiobus enabled.

Alternatively one can usually audio paste, which is more clunky, but enables you to paste audio between apps.

I do like audiobus btw, think its really opened up music apps in iOS.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1065729 - 10/09/13 06:57 PM
After perusing the Audiobus site, I couldn't see that it was for anything but the iUniverse.

Is there a PC equivalent, does anyone know?

Thanks!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Richard Graham

Re: Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist? new [Re: alexis]
      #1065974 - 12/09/13 12:17 PM
There used to be a "record what you hear" option on my Creative sound blaster Live! card back when I used Windows 98. I've not really had much call to use something like this on my PC, but when I've needed to, Reaper can do it.

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1065979 - 12/09/13 01:00 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

There used to be a "record what you hear" option on my Creative sound blaster Live! card back when I used Windows 98. I've not really had much call to use something like this on my PC, but when I've needed to, Reaper can do it.

Not so much Reaper as your sound card and its driver. If it's offered to the system as an input option, any application should be able to choose it.

"What you hear" is often disabled on today's computers. It makes it too easy to record streamed audio from e.g. BBC iPlayer or Spotify. They lie to the performers: "The punters can only hear it for a limited period, there's no way to record it!" Complete b***ocks of course. If you can hear it you can record it. Sometimes an earlier driver version is available that turns it on again.

Goddard

#1066352 - 15/09/13 01:33 AM
For inter-application audio (or even "audio copy and paste") to work under iOS, the particular apps must be coded to support it.

In addition to Audiobus there is also a Jack app for iOS.

Edited by Goddard (15/09/13 01:44 AM)

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1066392 - 15/09/13 12:46 PM
Thanks, Richard Graham and Exalted Wombat. With your help I found a site that explains how the pc version of "record what you hear", but so as not to dilute this iPad thread w/ pc stuff too much, I put it in the right forum.

Thanks again!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Richard Graham

Re: Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1066607 - 16/09/13 08:57 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote Richard Graham:

Not so much Reaper as your sound card and its driver. If it's offered to the system as an input option, any application should be able to choose it.

"What you hear" is often disabled on today's computers. It makes it too easy to record streamed audio from e.g. BBC iPlayer or Spotify. They lie to the performers: "The punters can only hear it for a limited period, there's no way to record it!" Complete b***ocks of course. If you can hear it you can record it. Sometimes an earlier driver version is available that turns it on again.

Well that's just it, it isn't explicitly offered as any kind of input option as far as I can tell, but there does seem to be some kind of routing trick that works inside good old Reaper. I've done it on a couple of machines with the bog-standard Realtek type onboard audio. But i dont remember how i did it, only that i didnt have to go to to the audio drivers page. Sorry for being vague!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4757

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media