Main Forums >> Music Theory, Songwriting & Composition
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
The Sound and The Fury new
      #1034169 - 19/02/13 07:28 PM
Nothing like modern music for a heated debate. Part two to come.

Something bugged me about part one though. Despite quickly mentioning Strauss and Debussy, they forgot Wagner. Bach, Beethoven and Brahms were mentioned as "Vienna's preferred Romantics" (!) - as if Schoenberg had come along almost after Brahms. But you cant get to Debussy and Strauss via Brahms. The accepted view is that the beginning of the end of the exhaustion of the Western system of tonality is with Tristan and Isolde - the 'Tristan chord' often being held up as the pivot. This is what led to the break with Brahms and the exploration into the further reaches. In fact Schoenbergs first works were late Romantic 'Wagnerian' pieces - and its obvious that by this point people felt hemmed in - so you either continued with late Romantic chromatic harmony, or bust out somehow.

There is a sort of punk story that people prefer, but its not quite correct. The fracture in the arts was as much an exhausting of systems as much as rebellion.

They forgot Mahler as well, who I'm sure must have been an influence on Ive's - whose assimilation of American folk and military music was similar.

Also - its no suprise that Stravinsky was the peoples choice. Cut up, distorted or assimilated in rythmic cataclysism, people still like a tune!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chaconne

Re: The Sound and The Fury new [Re: Chaconne]
      #1034780 - 22/02/13 11:24 PM
So anyone got a collection of records by Birtwhitsle, Xenakis, Nono, Maxwell-Davies etc etc?

--------------------

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
      #1034789 - 23/02/13 01:19 AM
Well actually, surely the essence of music is the facility to manipulate the internal process of consciousness from the outside, rather than any spurious teleological arguments about how it it achieved, as if it existed independently.

Exalted Wombat

Re: The Sound and The Fury [Re: Gone To Lunch]
      #1034847 - 23/02/13 03:13 PM
Quote Gone To Lunch:

Well actually, surely the essence of music is the facility to manipulate the internal process of consciousness from the outside, rather than any spurious teleological arguments about how it it achieved, as if it existed independently.

Coo! You ain't half clever mister! Wanna have sex with me?

Daniel Davis

Loc: Edinburgh
      #1035496 - 28/02/13 09:01 AM
Got something against Xenakis? His work has had a huge influence particularly on electronic music of both art and pop varieties and also on film music. Moreover he was the finest musical educator of his generation. I teach his theories of sound (epecially formation spaces) to school kids as they are one of the most accessible ways into thinking about composition.

So perhaps it's not your favourite kind of music. Personally I don't understand perople liking One Direction. But I do have the humility to accept that other people's tastes vary from mine.

--------------------
Daniel Davis
Edinburgh Recording Studio Windmill Sound

mhaigh

Loc: Hockley, Essex
      #1035595 - 28/02/13 07:32 PM
it was an interesting series though it could have been better - somehow forgetting the link Britten formed between the English pastoral school and the Manchester school was a bit odd, especially in this centenary year!
also, the amount of time spent on minimalism was excessive - i think the whole programme was aimed at the US market.
But the link to full performances on the Red Button was a great idea!

--------------------
My metal music! My other music!

Chaconne

#1035614 - 28/02/13 11:38 PM
Howard Goodall's episode on the transition into the 20th century filled in the gaps very well I thought, and gave due respect to Mahler and how the edifice of Wagner acted as a mountain which walking around was the only option. He was however quickly, almost sneeringly dismissive of serialism...

On that point I did not intend to be rude about asking if anybody was a fan, it was a genuine question - i really am intrigued if there are people who genuinely like this stuff - given that so many people dont. I love Berg, I have the 'hits' by Webern etc and the program inspired me to go back to it maybe, and fill in some gaps - no need to be so defensive Daniel, although I would like to think its possible to have a robust discussion of this kind of music without it having the rug pulled from it playing the 'relatavism' card. I liked hearing Boulez dismiss minimalism. Makes you think.

Anyhow recommend some good recording -, past or present.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1801

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media