Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ElGreco

Classical guitar strings new
      #117335 - 19/04/05 01:38 PM
Hello to all!

Do you know of any online-shops in Europe that stock good-quality (classical and not only) guitar strings at good prices?

Furthermore, I am looking for classical guitar strings (medium tension), that are as wide (fat) as possible and that squeak as little as possible when you do glissandi. I need them for my fretless classical guitar. Could someone recommend me any strings (particular model) of this type?

Thank you very much!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Wibbleflex

Re: Classical guitar strings new [Re: ElGreco]
      #117340 - 19/04/05 01:49 PM
Sorry can't help, but how is your fretless classical playing? I have recently converted an electric to fretless.

ElGreco

Re: Classical guitar strings new [Re: Wibbleflex]
      #117347 - 19/04/05 02:08 PM
Hi!

I play the oud too(middle-eastern fretless lute), so I dont find the fretless guitar too difficult. My fretless cl. guitar is a converted fretted guitar too. You can hear a few samples here

How do you get on with your fretless guitar?

Any ideas anyone on my questions?

Wibbleflex

#117357 - 19/04/05 02:37 PM
You should get flatwound bass strings instead of roundwound if you can find them for classical..they'll be dead smooth and won't mark your fingerboard. I have flatwound down to the 3rd (g) string and 1 and 2 are unwound steel.

I love the fretless..still learning to play it. It's great being properly in tune, and very expressive.

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #117602 - 20/04/05 12:11 AM
The squeak from the strings on a classical depends as much on your hands as the strings. Some of us squeak a lot, others get away with little or no squeak.

The biggest cause is the oils that our fingers produce. I know a lot of classical players dust their hands with talc before playing as they find it helps a lot.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

redstevo

Loc: Oxford
Re: Classical guitar strings new [Re: zenguitar]
      #117820 - 20/04/05 01:55 PM
cool sounds from your guitar El Greco! nice website as well. I liked the Hedjaz noodle and Ipanema. Its funny, but I really imagined the fretless-ness of your guitar to make it sound more different than the clips show. You can hear it clearly on the Hedjaz piece with some of the slides. A nice leftfield idea anyway. Good playing!
redstevo

ElGreco

Re: Classical guitar strings new [Re: redstevo]
      #117914 - 20/04/05 05:05 PM
Hello to all!

Thank you for replying and redstevo thank you for your good words about my playing (although I dont believe it is so good).

I have seen many people recommending Thomastik KR116 flatwound strings for a fretless classical guitar. Are there any online shops in the UK or in Germany, where I could order this particular set from?

Thank you!

P.S. Redstevo, the hedjaz improvisation clip features a normal spanish classical guitar. It is not fretless..

redstevo

Loc: Oxford
      #118232 - 21/04/05 09:49 AM
ooops! just goes to show .... how much I know! I liked the clip though.
I read a quote a little while back from some classical authority that basically said you had to practice (classical I presume) guitar for three hours a day just to be average (or even averagely bad). Does anyone know who said this and whether they are having a laugh!
redstevo

Psi

#118665 - 21/04/05 10:23 PM
Sounds about the same amount of practice as a lot of serious players (of various instruments) that I know put in per day!

Of course, it depends on what your definition of 'average' is

Wibbleflex

Re: Classical guitar strings [Re: Psi]
      #118900 - 22/04/05 11:21 AM
All serious players have to put in a lot of work in the end, but there is a steep learning curve with classical guitar. It will take you a while to play a simple melody compared to piano for example, and playing harmonies involves moving the hands in quite counter intuitive ways.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4579

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media