Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Ultimate Fish
posting's fun

Loc: York, UK
Yamaha MG series desks new
      #117235 - 19/04/05 10:42 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the larger Yamaha MG series desks? I'm about to recommend one for use with a church PA. Seems to do everything they need and the price is good. It would be nice to go for something like a mixwiz, but not quite enough channels and a bit too expensive. Want to avoid Behringer though.

--------------------
need to get rid of this stupid sig...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
grantozolins

Re: Yamaha MG series desks new [Re: Ultimate Fish]
      #125040 - 05/05/05 12:37 PM
Hmm, a pity that no-one's replied yet!

I've got an MG16/6FX. I sold my Mackie 1604VLZ to get it because I really wanted some stereo channels (I'm a keyboard player) and the idea of an extra inbuilt reverb appealed to me (that way I can leave my Virus KC effects unit set to create tempo-synced delays).

It's not a bad little desk - it's fairly clean and quiet, and definitely usable in a live situation - I don't know how the mic preamps hold up compared to other well known quantities like the Mackie VLZ-Pro or the (shudder) Behringer IMP, having not directly A/B'd them - but they sound pretty good to me, and having the inbuilt FX processor is a nice bonus. I managed to get a very nice sound with a couple of SM58's on a vocalist with an acoustic guitar recently.

There are a few caveats, however: The headroom, while adequate, is not as plentiful as you'll get on a Mackie VLZ or an Allen + Heath - it can be slightly tricky (but certainly possible) to get a nice hot signal to the mix buss. The inbuilt effects can be a fraction noisy on the return but probably not anything you'd notice in a live context. The EQ I find can be a tad honky if you boost the mids but this was probably my own heavy-handedness. I personally find the lit channel ON button a bit annoying and would rather just have a mute button a la the Mackie, but it's not really an issue. Also, it's a "lump in the line" power connector - although the locking nut used to connect to the mixer is an excellent design and very easy to use in practice.

All in all a good little desk for the money though - I got mine from Sound Control for £229 by asking them to match Turnkey's price.

Hope this helps
Grant

Ultimate Fish
posting's fun

Loc: York, UK
Re: Yamaha MG series desks [Re: grantozolins]
      #125082 - 05/05/05 01:45 PM
Cheers Grant. In the end I recommended an Allan & Heath PA series desk. Mind you I don't think headroom is much of an issue for this application.

--------------------
need to get rid of this stupid sig...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4621

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media