Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Pink Fluid

New Logic install on new iMac - doesn't seem stable. new
      #205227 - 02/11/05 03:44 PM
Well here I am with my brand new iMac (bought on Saturday)and copy of Logic Express, having finally switched from an older PC version. Within the first 2 days, Logic has crashed about 5 times, all as a result of different operations so I can't even relate it to one thing. I've read lots of comments about Logic being buggy but this is a clean install on a new system. Very disappointing. The only up side is that you don't have to re-boot the whole system every time Logic crashes. I'm even considering looking at Digital Performer as I work with video files a lot of the time. Is DP stable?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
geoffmartin

Re: New Logic install on new iMac - doesn't seem stable. new [Re: Pink Fluid]
      #205246 - 02/11/05 04:04 PM
I must say - as a recent convert to Mac, I've found Tiger (and to an extent Logic) to be surprisingly flakey.

So far in my 1st month with my G5 Dual it's crashed more times than my VAIO laptop running Cubase + Reason has in a year. Crashing on boot-up is the most common, plus problems with Sleep mode (yesterday I couldn't wake it - had to hold down the power button to restart).

Maybe this is why a lot of people are still on OSX 10.3.9 ?

--------------------
Current Favourite!

bukka

Loc: UK
      #205280 - 02/11/05 04:39 PM
That's tiger for you, im still running panther with logic pro 7.1 and it's rock solid.

Likwit

Loc: Vancouver
Re: New Logic install on new iMac - doesn't seem stable. new [Re: bukka]
      #205300 - 02/11/05 05:03 PM
so i am waiting/saving/considering the imac with logic express combo, but this doesn't sound like particularly positive feedback...

is there any hope in sight? updates or patches likely?

has anyone had little problems on this type of setup?

PaulD

Loc: Bristol UK
      #205309 - 02/11/05 05:12 PM
Hi
When someone gets into a car for the first few times, then drives it into a rhododendron bush (as did my sister - they are mostly hollow so no serious damage was done!) it is generally assumed that it is the driver at fault, rather than the car's steering system and brakes

What Apple software is generally quite fussy about is having properly created assets to work with - recorded audio files or captured video...

So often beginners in their eagerness to play with their new toy do things with downloaded/ripped/bodged audio/video assets that experienced users never do - and suffer unexpected hangs or quits as a result. For instance allowing the Finder, or an A/V program, to open an encoded file of DVD-size dimensions is a sure way to spin that jolly beachball for several minutes whilst the file data is 'parsed', so that it is handled correctly.

The Mac hasn't crashed. Its busy...

To avoid that it is important never to use compressed/encoded files in a program like Logic - use another application to decode the file into an aif or other appropriate file format.

Similarly plugging in a variety of miscellaneous USB (or even FireWire) devices into a newly-commissioned Mac has always been a good way to encounter a Kernal Panic. Once any dodgy drivers have been identified and replaced it is normal for Mac hardware to go months and months without a significant problem.
I too am still on 10.3.8, but there are thousands upon thousands of users or 10.4.+ who seem to be doing alright, so although there may be identifiable problems, there are more than likely problem-avoidance tactics that a more experienced user can (do) employ.
Cheers.

Sounds-and-images

Loc: Under a table
      #205335 - 02/11/05 06:14 PM
I have heard that Logic 7.1 on Tiger ( by reading mags and forum posts) that it is an unstable combination though I havent bought a mac yet and I dont claim to be in great knowledge but I have seen a reasonable amount of writing about this combo....

--------------------
www.sounds-and-images.co.uk
http://twitter.com/soundsandimages

pax

Loc: Oakland, CA
      #205369 - 02/11/05 07:10 PM
In response here - I think it's important to sort out the "I heard somewhere" from actual user experiences. That said, experiences vary.

First the imac - in addition to checking for the latest drivers for any of your devices, I'm assuming that you've updated Express to 7.1.1? Have you downloaded he pro application update as well - I'm running Express on an imac G5 for students (the previous model), and have yet to see any issues. BTW, the pro application update is essential for running Logic (Pro and Express) with Tiger:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/proapplicationsupport31macosx1 039.html

As for the G5, I personally, I've had no problems running Logic Pro with Tiger, and in fact have seen more stability. Make sure you have both the latest 7.1.1 update AND the pro application update. I made the transition two weeks ago from my aging G4 to a new dual core G5, and so far things have been very smooth. As for the dual G5 and sleep issues, be sure to disable any and all power saver/sleep settings in your system preferences when running audio applications.

My apologies in advance if i've covered ground already plodded.

pax

phantomfield

#205424 - 02/11/05 09:19 PM
Tiger and LP7.1 and 7.1.1 unstable? I'm happy to say quite the reverse. In all honesty I've found it to be very stable. With the various updates seaming to make it even more so. Touch wood and all that.

I'm interested in what's causing the radically different experiences ?

I hope you get it figured out soon but fwiw overall I've been delighted with the stability of the combination.

Best wishes.

Stickybud

Loc: Bass Camp
      #205512 - 03/11/05 01:09 AM
I'm using osx86 10.4.1, and logic express to play around with on an intel daw 2.4c hyperthread, with 1 gig corsair. And appart from the lack of performance from the rosetta emulation/crack, and audio set @ 48khz, its never crashed once, just doesn't have universal binary yet, so no great performance. Still, 8 audio tracks, and more AU plugins than really needed, it feels solid enough. Maybe a flaw in apple sourced motherboards/chipsets?? I know they are having problems with emacs, maybe similar with imacs too. You don't have an intel machine lying around do you??

I feel they went for style + maximum profit, rather than style + maximum dependability. Still no matter how many crashes, at least they charge you loads and loads for it. Whoopee!!

Don't get me wrong, but doesn't logic cost about £699 + £13 to update some errors, phew, thats some fee to be a beta tester aint it?

Vincent Meelberg

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
      #205546 - 03/11/05 07:55 AM
I run Logic Express 7.1.1 and OSX 10.4.3 on an iMac 1.6, and I have not encountered a single crash. Only when I just received the iMac (about a year ago), I encountered a kernel panic, but this was because the firmware of my firewire soundcard was not correctly installed.

Cheers,

Vincent

Dark Fader
sith lord

Loc: Death Star
Re: New Logic install on new iMac - doesn't seem stable. new [Re: Stickybud]
      #205552 - 03/11/05 08:30 AM
Quote Stickybud:

I'm using osx86 10.4.1, and logic express to play around with on an intel daw 2.4c hyperthread, with 1 gig corsair. And appart from the lack of performance from the rosetta emulation/crack, and audio set @ 48khz, its never crashed once, just doesn't have universal binary yet, so no great performance. Still, 8 audio tracks, and more AU plugins than really needed, it feels solid enough. Maybe a flaw in apple sourced motherboards/chipsets?? I know they are having problems with emacs, maybe similar with imacs too. You don't have an intel machine lying around do you??

I feel they went for style + maximum profit, rather than style + maximum dependability. Still no matter how many crashes, at least they charge you loads and loads for it. Whoopee!!

Don't get me wrong, but doesn't logic cost about £699 + £13 to update some errors, phew, thats some fee to be a beta tester aint it?

Idiot alert

signit

#205627 - 03/11/05 11:30 AM
logic 7.11 and tiger has been solid as a rock for me... the only time Ive had a crash has been down to a third party plugin.

Stickybud

Loc: Bass Camp
Re: New Logic install on new iMac - doesn't seem stable. new [Re: Dark Fader]
      #205670 - 03/11/05 12:37 PM
Quote Dark Fader:

Idiot alert

Hehe, are you?? How nice to inform us.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=820

Pink Fluid

Re: New Logic install on new iMac - doesn't seem stable. new [Re: Stickybud]
      #205701 - 03/11/05 01:16 PM
Hehe Stickybud, don't worry, I'm the idiot - after all this I thought I'd installed all the updates but found I'd missed Pro Application Support. Everything has been stable now for the last day or so and I've really been hammering Logic.

Dark Fader
sith lord

Loc: Death Star
      #205705 - 03/11/05 01:19 PM
Glad to hear everything's okay.

And stickybud, go smoke some more.

ChrisCarter

Loc: In the studio or on the road.....
Re: New Logic install on new iMac - doesn't seem stable. [Re: Pink Fluid]
      #205733 - 03/11/05 01:39 PM
Logic 7.11 and Tiger also working fine here on a 1Ghz PowerBook. We just recorded two albums and not a single crash. I have to admit that even we were all amazed!

It's strange because I know quite a few Logic 7 users and I've yet to come across anyone getting anything like the stability issues mentioned here. But I guess if it's running OK on your system then you won't be posting "hey Logic works" messages.

I can't really offer any help but I guess contributory factors could be due to any of the following:
a dodgy install (don't forget the Pro App Support updates), third party plug-ins and/or system enhancements causing problems, a lack of RAM, sloppy 'houskeeping', using corrupt audio files or inappropriate file formats, a lack of understanding of the product and the ever popular... NOT RTFM.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2272

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media