Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
thewallylama

Do you currently use a Mac Mini for multitrack recording?
      #218292 - 30/11/05 12:32 AM
This post is intended for Mac Mini users who use their minis for multitrack recording. If you don't use a mini, you don't need to tell me "don't use a mini for recording--it's underpowered!" etc. I'm aware of that view already! But... I have heard comments of some folks using Mac Minis for recording with some success. If you have personally used a Mini for recording, I would love to hear your comments, positive and negative. Also, what kind of setup do you have: modifications, interface, software, etc.? Thank you! --Wally

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
kennmichael

Re: Do you currently use a Mac Mini for multitrack recording? new [Re: thewallylama]
      #218313 - 30/11/05 02:35 AM
I have a 1.42MHz Mini with 1GB RAM. I use Logic and Live and if I'm recording audio, I'll use a Metric Halo 2882 firewire interface with it. This is not my main rig, but I do occasionally do arrangements/recording and editing on it. It works very well. No issues. I would like to be able to use more RAM, but oh well. As for track count, I can playback 36 stereo tracks in Logic 7 from the internal drive and a few extra if running from a FW drive.

Tony

Loc: London
Re: Do you currently use a Mac Mini for multitrack recording? new [Re: thewallylama]
      #218330 - 30/11/05 07:31 AM
Hi, I've been using a mini with 1gb Ram. Have used Garageband and have just put Live on there. For multitrack recording have found it slowing once tracks get into double figures. Have to freeze and mix down tracks to speed things up. Have managed to record an album thats being released next year so its possible to do. Should be going up to 20 inch I Mac once the budget alows.
Its certainly possible to do recording on a mini, just needs extra work and time.

thewallylama

Re: Do you currently use a Mac Mini for multitrack recording? new [Re: Tony]
      #218639 - 30/11/05 07:33 PM
Is this "slowing" happening using GarageBand? I've heard that the price you pay for the friendliness of GB is that it eats up lots of CPU space.

Jeraldo

#218664 - 30/11/05 08:43 PM
The Mini is dead quiet, too.

Tony

Loc: London
      #218805 - 01/12/05 07:24 AM
yes, slowing is on Garageband. I think it does eat up cpu. but is very quiet... and according to my wife "cute".

Edited by Tony (01/12/05 07:26 AM)

hadey

#218821 - 01/12/05 09:38 AM
Mac Mini, 1Gb Ram, 1.42GHz, 40Gb hdd, 200Gb Lacie FW HDD, M-audio Quattro USB. Mine's fine. Have ran, Logic 7, Live 5, Cubase SX, and without any major problems. Also will happilly run final cut pro too!

--------------------
http://www.papamofoman.com
myspace

thewallylama

Re: Do you currently use a Mac Mini for multitrack recording? new [Re: hadey]
      #218982 - 01/12/05 02:39 PM
Hadey-- I listened to the sound clip on your website. Did you do that with the setup you list?

PWGLE

Loc: UK - Cardiff/Bath
      #218989 - 01/12/05 02:47 PM
I think this may be the guy who emailed me!

But yep I run a 1.42ghz Mini with 512mg ram, 160gb LaCie, and Presonus Firebox. Frequently work on projects with around 32 audio tracks, with say 4-5 effects on each channel and some software instruments. No problems.

Its a great piece of kit, running Logic Pro 7.

Laurence

--------------------
P.I.G.L.E.T - where is polly?

thewallylama

#219000 - 01/12/05 03:00 PM
Yes, I'm the guy who e-mailed you, from my work e-mail (oh my) so I haven't checked that yet (on US mountain time).

hadey

#219002 - 01/12/05 03:05 PM
Quote thewallylama:

Hadey-- I listened to the sound clip on your website. Did you do that with the setup you list?

If it's the track that loads 1st on the music page, then yes. Why, has it put you off?

--------------------
myspace

thewallylama

#219007 - 01/12/05 03:18 PM
Very funny. No, I enjoyed it quite a bit, which is why I was asking! --Wally

hadey

#219010 - 01/12/05 03:20 PM
Quote thewallylama:

Very funny. No, I enjoyed it quite a bit, which is why I was asking! --Wally

Thanks!

--------------------
myspace

thewallylama

#219583 - 02/12/05 06:50 PM
What is interesting to me is that non-mini users have cautioned me about the mini being underpowered, yet here on this post I'm hearing mini users generally saying that they are pretty happy with it. Whenever I hear a comment about slowness, it seems to have to do with Garage Band, which I guess eats up lots of CPU space because of all the built in commands to make it more friendly. But I had an iMac G5 user tell me that GB slowed down his machine, too. --Wally

WurlyB

#219696 - 03/12/05 05:18 AM
I’m using a Mac Mini, with a PreSonus FireBox, a firewire harddrive, and running Cubase LE. I’ve been running the system for 5 months now without a problem.

I have run over 48 audio tracks (24-bit, 48kHz) at once with no problem. - Yes a ‘wall’ of 48 tracks. Why ? I wanted a symphony of synths for a part in a song. I was going to bounce the tracks into a stereo file, but the Mini didn’t glitch so I kept all 48 tracks in the main mix. -I “do” think it was only possible to do this with a external firewire drive.
I think the problem most people have with Mac Mini’s is the fact they don’t add external firewire or usb drives. .....?.........?........?

I don’t use Garageband. It does seem to push the cpu. And to me it sounds crappy. I haven’t played with Garageband much, and I’m not sure I want to waste my time doing so.

All of my recordings have been audio tracking. I don’t use soft synths and I don’t use a lot of pluggin effects. My drums are from a drum machine, rex files, Cubase drum sessions, or samples. I play the guitar, bass, and keyboards direct into the recordings.
I can’t real say how the Mac Mini would hold up to a lot of soft synths, soft samplers, etc....

One other thing that really gives the Mac Mini a big boost (besides the firewire drive) is a external hardware reverb. Even a lower cost hardware reverb is going to sound better than most pluggins.

asdzxc

Re: Do you currently use a Mac Mini for multitrack recording? new [Re: WurlyB]
      #236335 - 13/01/06 07:10 PM
How many tracks can you record (input) at once

blueintheface

#236341 - 13/01/06 07:21 PM
Quote thewallylama:

What is interesting to me is that non-mini users have cautioned me about the mini being underpowered, yet here on this post I'm hearing mini users generally saying that they are pretty happy with it. Whenever I hear a comment about slowness, it seems to have to do with GarageBand, which I guess eats up lots of CPU space because of all the built in commands to make it more friendly. But I had an iMac G5 user tell me that GB slowed down his machine, too. --Wally

There is nothing inherently inefficient about GarageBand compared with Logic or any other DAW, it's simply that in GarageBand, all tracks are either being time-stretched in real-time or playing virtual instruments (with multi-FX on by default!)

In other DAW's, people are often outputting MIDI to external devices which has minimal CPU demands, whereas with GarageBand, it's all being done on your Mac.

These kind of operations are by their nature CPU-intensive, whether you do them in GarageBand, Cubase or Logic or Live!, there's no getting away from that fact.

GarageBand also sounds fine, it has the same Audio Engine as Logic. Obviously if you stretch loops too far from their original pitch/tempo, it's inevitable there will be artefacts. But the (EXS24) instruments are great, and the FX are whatever you want them to be . . .

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2293

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media