Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Gojirosan

Loc: Liverpool, UK
"Storm"
      #218488 - 30/11/05 02:28 PM
Well this track was supposed to be for an Eric Roche tribute CD, but the CD seems rather less than forth-coming, so I thought I'd share my contribution.

Click!

The tune you're after is "Storm".

Do enjoy. If you can!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/neverrevolution

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
gerard

Loc: London, UK
Re: "Storm" new [Re: Gojirosan]
      #218719 - 30/11/05 10:44 PM

is that miles davis doing the poetry in the beginning?

its got a kinda santana jazzy vibe...

i'm dig'n it dude...

are those drums sequenced or is there a sequenced layer of drums? that is the only bit that sort of bummed me out...

The real musiclover

Re: "Storm" new [Re: gerard]
      #218779 - 01/12/05 03:00 AM

Nice atmospheric (pardon the pun) piece.

Not a big fan of spoken word works personally... However, i enjoyed listening to it in it's entirety.

Is that you putting on the howling wolf on whisky and cigarettes? It's well produced.

It has got that south american feel to it, so i also get the santana vibe, though this is just as good as his more recent output to these ears... Big praise? No, not really, santana can play, you can play. That was then and this is today.

Love the drums. Programmed is my guess, to some extent at least? Be interested to hear what the drums are from.

On my 3rd listen, really nice vibe going on there, very laidback and just what i need right now after a heavy week.

Thanks. Nice tune.

Also liked the vibe of the other one mastered from cassette, although the vocal is almost non existent, it has a nice raw edge to it.

I also have lot's of stuff on cassette from back in the day, with which, intend to do as you have done. When i can get round to it.

Good to hear your stuff.

Gojirosan

Loc: Liverpool, UK
      #218949 - 01/12/05 01:41 PM
Ah yes, the drums!

I originally programmed a naff jazz/blues shuffle on my trusty old HR16 with a view to feeding the MIDI into Cubase and triggering different drum samples.

However, I forgot that as the HR16 is pre-General MIDI, it didn't actually map with the sounds accurately, so I had the kick triggering the ride and so on and so on. However, I loved it! All that I needed to do was manually play a kick into it and I was more than happy with the drum track. It was loads better than the toss I had programmed into the Alesis!

I keep meaning to dabble with this further - it's a cool mix of programming and randomness that could be capable of interesting (and excrutiating!) things.

Thanks for listening, people. Many thanks.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/neverrevolution

gerard

Loc: London, UK
      #219196 - 01/12/05 11:08 PM

i think if you work on the cymbals the rest of the drums were ok...

the cymbals were to robotic...

-gerard

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1795

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media