Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Vincent Meelberg

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Transportation of speaker cabs new
      #310046 - 11/06/06 08:59 PM
Hi All,

What is the most sensible way to transport speaker cabs in a car: speakers facing upward, or sideways? Or doesn't it matter?

Thanx and cheers,

Vincent

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
Re: Transportation of speaker cabs [Re: Vincent Meelberg]
      #310133 - 12/06/06 08:24 AM
No difference mate. Best bet though is to make or buy some sort of protective cover. My tops (Celestion SR1)come with lids that serve as carrying handles as well and after seven years of gigs they still look like new from the front. My `new` bass bin I have yet to sort out, but in any case it travels however it fits best in the particular vehicle with a mind to protecting the front grill from hard things stacked near it.

Saxum esse et non

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Re: Transportation of speaker cabs new [Re: Vincent Meelberg]
      #310137 - 12/06/06 08:30 AM
I reckon it's best not to transport speakers on their backs - a while back one of my cabs started distorting, and when I took it to bits to investigate there were some pieces of broken plastic in the horn driver, which must've fallen in while the cab was face up at some point. Now I never transport or store them on their backs.

Vincent Meelberg

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Re: Transportation of speaker cabs new [Re: Saxum esse et non provolvere]
      #310140 - 12/06/06 08:34 AM
Thanx guys!

I have a protective cover, so I guess I have taken all precautions that I should take when tansporting my cabs. Just to be sure, I won't transport them with the speakers facing upward, as Saxum etc. has suggested.

Cheers,

Vincent

IvanSC

#311338 - 14/06/06 08:17 PM
If you have covers you are VERY unlikely to have the same problem with shrapnel falling down inside the horns!!!

Love to know what sort of gig he was playing where they chucked PLASTIC at the speakers.... We used to get beer mugs, small change, etc. in the grand old days of punk rock.
Oh and the assholes who thought it was funny to poke knitting needles through the grills on the bass bins and destroy the cones...

seablade

Re: Transportation of speaker cabs new [Re: IvanSC]
      #311354 - 14/06/06 08:46 PM
>Oh and the assholes who thought it was funny to poke knitting needles through the grills on the bass bins and destroy the cones...

HMm now that gets me wondering if I can electrically charge those grills..... Maybe have the speaker level signal go through the grill which would be isolated from the cabinet and then to the speaker...

Hmm fun things to try out at places that annoy me;)

Seablade

Not really serious as he doesnt want to kill someone with that. So PLEASE dont try that at home.

--

Re: Transportation of speaker cabs new [Re: IvanSC]
      #311368 - 14/06/06 09:19 PM
Quote IvanSC:

Oh and the assholes who thought it was funny to poke knitting needles through the grills on the bass bins and destroy the cones...

If you play all those rough Women's Institute gigs Ivan, you have to live with the agro that goes with it! Who takes knitting needles to a gig anyway?

seablade

Re: Transportation of speaker cabs new [Re: --]
      #311381 - 14/06/06 09:41 PM
Quote Wonkey Wabbit:

Quote IvanSC:

If you play all those rough Women's Institute gigs Ivan, you have to live with the agro that goes with it! Who takes knitting needles to a gig anyway?

My wife;)

Seablade

HehHeh good point though, technically she does crochet I believe;)

IvanSC

#311567 - 15/06/06 10:17 AM
if it comes to that, who carries chopsticks to a gig? ( the other weapon of choice I have seen used in this way!!)

Mind you even that is better than what you get in yer cabinets playing the annual British Cage Birds Association dinner dance....

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3516

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media